• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Summary of Darnold's day

Zod

Just now, frankw said:

Yeah the coddling has officially gotten out of hand. Darnold is unproven and needs to be a leader of men not treated like he's still in pampers. You can publicly trash your receivers only so many times before it has a negative effect on the locker room.

Is it coddling if the WRs actually had more drops than typical? I get it that you can have a "drop" where the ball is overthrown and the receiver barely gets a hand on it, and then you have drops where the QB puts it right on you and you alligator arm it. Not all drops are created equal.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

Yeah the coddling has officially gotten out of hand. Darnold is unproven and needs to be a leader of men not treated like he's still in pampers. You can publicly trash your receivers only so many times before it has a negative effect on the locker room.

Or perhaps the WRs take personal responsibility for there part and Sam takes responsibility for his. I know crazy right...

• Pie 7
  • Flames 1

Way too soon to talk about the draft I ‘spose, but there’s a potentially another 5 first round qbs next year. If danrold is booty cheeks (old fat guy kind not Brazilian babe kind) then there’s a good chance we are in position to take a top qb. With most of the qbs needy teams taking guys last year (which was likely the superior class), fewer teams will be seeking a qb. Saints, Steelers, giants, eagles, Washington, and lions stand out to me as teams that might be qb hunting. We could also be a dark horse for aaron Rodgers, who unlike Watson, won’t cost a bajillion draft picks and isn’t at risk of being suspended/ banned from the league for 20+ outstanding sexual assault allegations 

9 minutes ago, Santee_Panther said:

Is it coddling if the WRs actually had more drops than typical? I get it that you can have a "drop" where the ball is overthrown and the receiver barely gets a hand on it, and then you have drops where the QB puts it right on you and you alligator arm it. Not all drops are created equal.

6 minutes ago, La Pantera said:

Or perhaps the WRs take personal responsibility for there part and Sam takes responsibility for his. I know crazy right...

In no way am I arguing the receivers are perfect or not in need of working on their craft. But when you bring in a quarterback and trade draft capital to do that at some point he has to take it upon himself and guide this young group some. Sam Darnold is supposed to be the guy. We can have this conversation now but we don't want to be having it next month. Sam needs to get reps in live game scenarios and they all need to work out the kinks together simple and plain.

We out all our QB eggs in the Darnold basket. We'll see how it works out. Let's just say that I'll be paying close attention to the college QB prospects. Hearing about struggles while wearing a red jersey isn't encouraging. Highly doubtful it gets any better once he's getting hit behind a likely below average OL.

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

Average hall of fame QB didn’t play in a league catered toward the passing game. 

I think the Ravens backup RGIII is at 63% 

I think you need more data like how far is the average completion etc…  You can Teddy it and throw 2 yard passes to get a high completion rate and still end up punting/losing. While players like Cam didn’t break 60% often, he was pushing it downfield in our offense.

• Beer 1

54 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

True that Darnold had some bad throws, but as I was reading tweet's I feel like 6 or 7 of them were "another drop". I saw 3 by Terrace Marshal which is kind of wild.

Marshall had sort of a concentration drop issue in college. 7 drops in 2020. Unless in the red zone. I think he had 0 drops in red zone. 

21 minutes ago, frankw said:

I think we're all mostly reacting to Nick Carboni's opinion rather than what Coach actually said. Rhule said a couple of big throws were dropped, which was documented in the tweets from both teams' media. 19 of 36 is 53%. Fix a couple of the drops and you're back in the 60% range that is wholly acceptable, if not ideal. Rhule also says that Sam has done a good job "in camp", not just today. This may just be another case of the media trying to create drama where there isn't any.

• Beer 1