• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Summary of Darnold's day

Zod

8 hours ago, FamOstinato said:

Sam D never had 60%, stop the lies. Men lie and women lie but numbers don’t. His percentage is 59.8% and that is a fact. Google is your best friend. 😂

Darnold was over 60% in 2019. Walker only has one career regular season game over 50% completions. 

• Flames 1

8 hours ago, frankw said:

Yeah the coddling has officially gotten out of hand. Darnold is unproven and needs to be a leader of men not treated like he's still in pampers. You can publicly trash your receivers only so many times before it has a negative effect on the locker room.

Its not coddling if the wrs dropped the ball.  Again, what Rhule says may actually be the truth.  I'm not sure why so many people want to turn everything he says into something else.  He was 19/36 with a bunch of drops.  I know there were more than 5 but let's say 5 of those were caught.  Hes up to 24/36 with a 66% completion percentage and everyone that didnt watch it is reacting completely differently.   Well almost everyone, some are stuck in their opinion regardless. 

1 hour ago, frankw said:

The receivers are the least of our worries. DJ is a stud and will soon be extended. We know what Anderson can do and Marshall has lots of potential. Then you have Shi Smith too. Any young quarterback would be thrilled with that. If Steve Smith Sr is even publicly saying Sam needs to be out there getting game reps I'll take his word for it.

No one is saying the WRs are a problem.  They are saying they had drops, which they obviously did.  Why is this such a disagreement.   You can say a wr dropped the ball without it meaning anything else.

• Pie 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/2777717/2021/08/18/panthers-what-we-learned-sam-darnold-not-going-deep-much-is-that-a-good-thing-jaycee-horn-itching-to-play/%3famp

Joe Person noted that Darnold isn’t really throwing downfield in these practices.  Majority of the completions today were on checkdowns which he notes was the case vs the Colts too. 

might have something to do with the pass game struggling.  Ravens and Colts have good defenses.  If you start getting predictable….good defenses are going to have an easier time disrupting things. 

20 minutes ago, CRA said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/2777717/2021/08/18/panthers-what-we-learned-sam-darnold-not-going-deep-much-is-that-a-good-thing-jaycee-horn-itching-to-play/%3famp

Joe Person noted that Darnold isn’t really throwing downfield in these practices.  Majority of the completions today were on checkdowns which he notes was the case vs the Colts too. 

might have something to do with the pass game struggling.  Ravens and Colts have good defenses.  If you start getting predictable….good defenses are going to have an easier time disrupting things. 

Early on they said the were working on eliminating mistakes, trust his reads/take what the defense gives you and it looks like it is working, 

“Darnold hasn’t been doing much downfield lately, which he said is more about following his reads than anything scheme-related.”

But hey, jumping right in to “... the pass game struggling.” is one way to look at it.

14 minutes ago, Martin said:

Early on they said the were working on eliminating mistakes, trust his reads/take what the defense gives you and it looks like it is working, 

“Darnold hasn’t been doing much downfield lately, which he said is more about following his reads than anything scheme-related.”

But hey, jumping right in to “... the pass game struggling.” is one way to look at it.

if you want to exclusively blame the WRs….it seems like this would still be relevant info and could likely be a contributing factor in regards to how they are being painted.  

I mean the whole fan narrative for bringing in Sam….was to not play in the scheme as Teddy did.   Seems like something worth watching. 

8 hours ago, trueblade said:

We're stuck with Sam so let's remember: 

This is the same Ravens team that forced New Orleans into six turnovers. They're pretty good at football. 

We also looked better day two against the Colts then we did on day one so maybe things improve tomorrow.

The ravens are friggin good

and so are the colts

these scrimmages are just terrific for us

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

if you want to exclusively blame the WRs….it seems like this would still be relevant info and could likely be a contributing factor in regards to how they are being painted.  

I mean the whole fan narrative for bringing in Sam….was to not play in the scheme as Teddy did.   Seems like something worth watching.

1. Teddy Bridgewater: 26.6%
  2. Cam Newton: 26.4%
  3. Sam Darnold: 26.9%

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfls-top-dink-and-dunk-qbs-from-alex-smith-to-aaron-rodger

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/sam-darnold-jets-evaluation-breakdown-fix

Darnold has become so gunshy against pressure that his poor footwork is now working even into clean throwing platforms, where he has room to step up and throw. Darnold got the worst ball placement score among 22 charted quarterbacks when throwing from a clean platform last year despite throwing generally catchable footballs, indicating that he’s failing to slot the ball relative to coverage or maximize YAC. A passer without pinpoint accuracy begins to lose his danger as a dink-and-dunk distributor, which is exactly what happened to Darnold last year:

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

Its not coddling if the wrs dropped the ball.  Again, what Rhule says may actually be the truth.  I'm not sure why so many people want to turn everything he says into something else.  He was 19/36 with a bunch of drops.  I know there were more than 5 but let's say 5 of those were caught.  Hes up to 24/36 with a 66% completion percentage and everyone that didnt watch it is reacting completely differently.   Well almost everyone, some are stuck in their opinion regardless. 

PJ went 15/21 if you factor in drops.... 🤔

12 minutes ago, CPsinceDay1 said:
  1. Teddy Bridgewater: 26.6%
  2. Cam Newton: 26.4%
  3. Sam Darnold: 26.9%

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfls-top-dink-and-dunk-qbs-from-alex-smith-to-aaron-rodger

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/sam-darnold-jets-evaluation-breakdown-fix

Darnold has become so gunshy against pressure that his poor footwork is now working even into clean throwing platforms, where he has room to step up and throw. Darnold got the worst ball placement score among 22 charted quarterbacks when throwing from a clean platform last year despite throwing generally catchable footballs, indicating that he’s failing to slot the ball relative to coverage or maximize YAC. A passer without pinpoint accuracy begins to lose his danger as a dink-and-dunk distributor, which is exactly what happened to Darnold last year:

PJ went 15/21 if you factor in drops.... 🤔

Your act is tired.

• Pie 1

The extended practices with the Colts and Ravens are much better than a few series in a preseason game in getting Darnold ready for the season. The problem in preseason is that you don't correct your mistakes because each week is different and each defense is different as well. So there is more immediate feedback and opportunity to watch film and correct it the next day when you practice against the same team 2 days in a row. I haven't heard he wasn't playing but given all the complaining I must have missed the announcement.

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Well, if it is unacceptable, you should tell Tepper that over lunch.  Is there anything else you want him to know?  I’m sure he will get right on it for you.

Make no mistake, owners notice empty seats particularly one who wants said region to pony up for a new stadium. 

btw, does Tepper strike you as a patient man?  

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I agree with you that it is worth watching. What I think is the difference is that Sam won’t be afraid to take a shot when it presents itself. Teddy on the other hand essentially passed out with fear if he had to go deep. I’m hopeful, but we’ll see.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Martin said:

I agree with you that it is worth watching. What I think is the difference is that Sam won’t be afraid to take a shot when it presents itself. Teddy on the other hand essentially passed out with fear if he had to go deep. I’m hopeful, but we’ll see.

The biggie will be in the 2 minute offense and when we need to try and score late. Win or lose Sam will air it out while Teddy would be dinking and dunking with less than a minute to play. We lost all those games because we couldn't come back or hold a lead.

• Pie 2