• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Postgame thoughts. Preseason game 2

ncfan

8 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

TBH, this looked bad.  Wasn't encouraged by Darnold at all.  He didnt look bad, but the fact we tried to run it twice down at the goalline with Chubba instead of trying to play fake and pass and then sat him tells me how they feel about Sam.

.....what

This makes sense if maybe if you are a new football fan and don't understand the point of preseason games.

People here are placing waaaaaaaaaay too much of the wrong importance on preseason game calls.

Preseason game calls are *not* designed to win the game.

Based on your logic, running Chubba at the goal line shows how they feel about CMC.  When we are on a goal line..CMC was invisible!  We didn't give him the ball once.

Obviously the coaching staff has no faith in CMC's ability to play football, and are trying to groom Chubba as his replacement.

Edited by Tepper's Chest Hair
  • Pie 5
  • Beer 1

12 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Main thoughts are:

• Rhule and Fitterer aren't going to have any sleepless nights cutting this roster down to 53
  • We should trade for Jose Borregales to get ahead of everyone else on the waiver wire
  • We should look to trade for a backup QB / hope to god somebody good gets cut

One thought I missed:

Luvu might just be our best LB. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

TBH, this looked bad.  Wasn't encouraged by Darnold at all.  He didnt look bad, but the fact we tried to run it twice down at the goalline with Chubba instead of trying to play fake and pass and then sat him tells me how they feel about Sam.

It doesn't tell you anything of the sort.

What it should tell you is that it's preseason.

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

Sure. I agree correlation doesn’t equal causation. You’re also an idiot if you don’t think Sam not playing in preseason would contribute to his slow start. 

The starters have gotten over 100 reps against the Colts and Ravens 1st teams.

Sam has had the reps.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

What I saw last night was try outs for backup RB. Thus the goal line plays called. We effectively do not have good backup for CMC and that's just as concerning as shuffling the O-line. When Smitty commented that the reason a good sideline pass worked was because Hubbard actually picked up his block (and they showed a replay!) as if he hadn't been, my heart sank. It was Hubbard's night to shine and he did not. That was the most disappointing part of the game for me.

11 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

- Christian Miller had a QB hit but otherwise didn’t get pressure on the quarterback

- PJ was awful but keep in mind he was playing with 3rd string O-line and WR’s. Grier was bad vs Colts with same group

- LT Martez Ivey needs to be one of the 5 cuts come Tuesday. He was a huge reason why PJ was so bad

- I think they’ve seen enough of RB Spencer Brown, Reggie Bonnafon (even though he hasn’t played yet) makes the team as the 3rd RB

- Right now Robby, DJ, Marshall, David Moore, Zylstra, and Shi Smith are your 6WR’s 

- C Sam Tecklenburg has been a nice surprise. I think he makes the 53 as Paradis backup

- Yetur Gross-Matos played a ton of snaps maybe due to lack of DE depth. Seemed to do well vs the run 

- LB Clay Johnston just wrapped up a spot on the practice squad with his performance. Dude was absolutely exhausted but still out there making plays

- Sam Franklin can flat out play. Looks like he’s going to be our 3rd safety

- Myles Hartsfield, Kenny Robinson, Sean Chandler going into 3rd preseason game looking to win that 4th safety spot 

3 hours ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

.....what

This makes sense if maybe if you are a new football fan and don't understand the point of preseason games.

People here are placing waaaaaaaaaay too much of the wrong importance on preseason game calls.

Preseason game calls are *not* designed to win the game.

Based on your logic, running Chubba at the goal line shows how they feel about CMC.  When we are on a goal line..CMC was invisible!  We didn't give him the ball once.

Obviously the coaching staff has no faith in CMC's ability to play football, and are trying to groom Chubba as his replacement.

I am frustrated with their lack of live game reps for Darnold.  You can say what you want, as can I, but relying on the excuse that he's getting his live reps in non-game conditions in controlled drills during joint practices is just as good as playing in games is a joke.  And if it doesn't show a degree of lack of trust in Sam, it certainly isn't doing him any favors even if they do trust him...  which they do or did, bc they didn't even bring any competition for him.  I just don't agree with saying practices are the same as games, even if it is preseason, especially for a guy who is trying to revamp his career in a new offense with a new team.  I just don't agree with it.

And you know that comparing that to possibly the best RB in the NFL sitting during preseason who has already proven his worth is absolutely asinine. 

But, if it makes you feel better about where Darnold is, feel free...

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I am frustrated with their lack of live game reps for Darnold

Why specifically does this matter?

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

You can say what you want, as can I, but relying on the excuse that he's getting his live reps in non-game conditions in controlled drills during joint practices is just as good as playing in games is a joke.

I would say its a joke to rely on Darnold playing in a preseason game.  At least in joint practices its more likely to be starters vs starters.

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

And if it doesn't show a degree of lack of trust in Sam, it certainly isn't doing him any favors even if they do trust him... 

This statement makes absolutely zero sense.

I just don't agree with it.

Thats fine.  

And you know that comparing that to possibly the best RB in the NFL sitting during preseason who has already proven his worth is absolutely asinine. 

CMC is coming off of a major injury last year.  You don't feel its important for a guy who missed nearly an entire year to get his game legs going?  Get used to being hit again in a game-like atmosphere? To see if he is back to his previous form?

For the record, I don't.  But it seems like an extremely biased line to draw in the sand on who does and doesn't need the reps.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Why specifically does this matter?

I would say its a joke to rely on Darnold playing in a preseason game.  At least in joint practices its more likely to be starters vs starters.

This statement makes absolutely zero sense.

Thats fine.  

CMC is coming off of a major injury last year.  You don't feel its important for a guy who missed nearly an entire year to get his game legs going?  Get used to being hit again in a game-like atmosphere? To see if he is back to his previous form?

For the record, I don't.  But it seems like an extremely biased line to draw in the sand on who does and doesn't need the reps.

No it doesn't.  He's a RB.  They typically aren't the most durable position to begin with.  He's proven.  He's unquestioned.  Everyone that has seen him in practice has said he is exactly the same as he was before injuries.  Now, I'm sure if you ask him, he would want to get some snaps in these games, but again, as a RB and a proven centerpiece in this offense, he has nothing to prove by playing these games.  The whole league knows what CMC is capable of.  Darnold is new to this offense and team.  Playing under the lights against another team when the score is being kept, even as generic and vanilla as the gameplan is, it matters.

And I dont feel like multi-quoting, but that statement about them not trusting him wasn't difficult to understand...  if it's not fear of him failing or distrust in his ability to perform well in these early games, they aren't doing him any favors by keeping him on the sideline when he should be getting as many reps as possible in a new offense.  I'm not saying he should play a full half every game, but a quarter would've been nice to see by now.

But, we'll see if their plan pays off.  I certainly hope it does.