• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Postgame thoughts. Preseason game 2

ncfan

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

He wasnt staring down Robby.  There were two receivers running two different depths in that area.  Watch it again, there is an underneath route he was looking at too.

Take this for what it's worth, coming from a Jets fan who watched Sam for the past 3 years. He 100% stared down his first read and waited until Robby got open. A big part of playing QB is between the ears and Sam just doesn't process information quickly enough to be a quality first string NFL QB. If there is one thing that became obvious to our entire fanbase after watching him over the past 3 years it's this.....If Sam's first read is not open, bad things tend to happen more often than not. Best of luck to you guys this year and hopefully Ruhle can squeeze some lemonade out of lemons from the QB position.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Poo 4

- Christian Miller had a QB hit but otherwise didn’t get pressure on the quarterback

- PJ was awful but keep in mind he was playing with 3rd string O-line and WR’s. Grier was bad vs Colts with same group

- LT Martez Ivey needs to be one of the 5 cuts come Tuesday. He was a huge reason why PJ was so bad

- I think they’ve seen enough of RB Spencer Brown, Reggie Bonnafon (even though he hasn’t played yet) makes the team as the 3rd RB

- Right now Robby, DJ, Marshall, David Moore, Zylstra, and Shi Smith are your 6WR’s 

- C Sam Tecklenburg has been a nice surprise. I think he makes the 53 as Paradis backup

- Yetur Gross-Matos played a ton of snaps maybe due to lack of DE depth. Seemed to do well vs the run 

- LB Clay Johnston just wrapped up a spot on the practice squad with his performance. Dude was absolutely exhausted but still out there making plays

- Sam Franklin can flat out play. Looks like he’s going to be our 3rd safety

- Myles Hartsfield, Kenny Robinson, Sean Chandler going into 3rd preseason game looking to win that 4th safety spot 

Edited by TheSpecialJuan
  • Pie 4

37 minutes ago, NiceDreams said:

Take this for what it's worth, coming from a Jets fan who watched Sam for the past 3 years. He 100% stared down his first read and waited until Robby got open. A big part of playing QB is between the ears and Sam just doesn't process information quickly enough to be a quality first string NFL QB. If there is one thing that became obvious to our entire fanbase after watching him over the past 3 years it's this.....If Sam's first read is not open, bad things tend to happen more often than not. Best of luck to you guys this year and hopefully Ruhle can squeeze some lemonade out of lemons from the QB position.

Staring down a receiver means you lock onto one guy and bc of that you dont see anyone else... there is no logical progression to what you just said.

Sam scanned the area and waited for the longer developing route to open up. How is that the same as "locking onto a receiver?"

Sam's had plenty of bad reps I'm sure, but that wasn't one of them

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

- Christian Miller had a QB hit but otherwise didn’t get pressure on the quarterback

- PJ was awful but keep in mind he was playing with 3rd string O-line and WR’s. Grier was bad vs Colts with same group

- LT Martez Ivey needs to be one of the 5 cuts come Tuesday. He was a huge reason why PJ was so bad

- I think they’ve seen enough of RB Spencer Brown, Reggie Bonnafon (even though he hasn’t played yet) makes the team as the 3rd RB

- Right now Robby, DJ, Marshall, David Moore, Zylstra, and Shi Smith are your 6WR’s 

- C Sam Tecklenburg has been a nice surprise. I think he makes the 53 as Paradis backup

- Yetur Gross-Matos played a ton of snaps maybe due to lack of DE depth. Seemed to do well vs the run 

- LB Clay Johnston just wrapped up a spot on the practice squad with his performance. Dude was absolutely exhausted but still out there making plays

- Sam Franklin can flat out play. Looks like he’s going to be our 3rd safety

- Myles Hartsfield, Kenny Robinson, Sean Chandler going into 3rd preseason game looking to win that 4th safety spot 

All good points and I agree with every one of them

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Staring down a receiver means you lock onto one guy and bc of that you dont see anyone else... there is no logical progression to what you just said.

Sam scanned the area and waited for the longer developing route to open up. How is that the same as "locking onto a receiver?"

Sam's had plenty of bad reps I'm sure, but that wasn't one of them

Bit of a strawman as I didn't say it was a bad rep. It was a completion and the play was successful. Point being, Sam clearly locked onto Robby pre-snap and didn't look at any other part of the field. Robby was the only receiver in that area, aside from a check-down. Whether he considered the check-down could be open for debate. After watching him play for 3 years, once he locks on he's pretty much made up his mind. In itself that isn't terrible, but in time you'll realize he is not proficient in making his progressions. There's pretty clear video of the sequence if you care to take a look.

TBH, this looked bad.  Wasn't encouraged by Darnold at all.  He didnt look bad, but the fact we tried to run it twice down at the goalline with Chubba instead of trying to play fake and pass and then sat him tells me how they feel about Sam.

I've held onto hope for Slye because of how strong his leg is, but I've had enough.  Every kick you hold your breath, not sure whats going to happen, but leaning towards him missing...  we gotta find someone to come in now.  Having a strong leg doesn't mean poo if you can't kick 70%.

Grier looked better, but he still is not an NFL QB.  He can make all the NFL throws, but he is just too frail and lacks good enough awareness to be dependable.

That being said, PJ looked and played like poo tonight, but it's not on him.  After watching both he and Grier play with that 3rd unit the last two weeks, it's clear that that 3rd unit is absolutely dogshit.  They are why both QBs looked so horrible in consecutive weeks.

This leads me to my last point - the fact we hung in tough with Indy all through a game in which we played zero starters gave me some encouragement that maybe we were much deeper and further along in our rebuild than I initially thought.  I was wrong.  Our depth fuging sucks.  Baltimore proved that.  Both offensively and defensively, we are fielding a ton of fat that is begging to be trimmed, which will likely effectively end the most football careers in any singular team's round of cuts.  These guys are bad (outside of the obvious, like all of our draft picks).

High hopes for Jaycee, Chubba, TMJ, Shi, and all of our picks...  that was a killer draft.

Interesting Daley got the start tonight and ran with the 1s.  I believe in him, and hope that continues.

Sounds like Fitt has plans for Christensen and he has looked impressive too.

Finally, the DBO sign is worthless and it has to fuging go.  It clearly doesn't resonate with this roster bc they all still do the same dumb poo every week.  It's embarrassing.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

3 hours ago, Panthers8969 said:

Sure. I agree correlation doesn’t equal causation. You’re also an idiot if you don’t think Sam not playing in preseason would contribute to his slow start. 

I mean he's starting up to a half next week. I doubt the lack of playing time these past two games will amount to much.