• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Perspective, Directive, and Erective - The Panthers offensive woes and you

Zod

@Zod you might be a bit overly optimistic about our OL rookies. I wouldn't pencil them in as starters just because they've looked good in camp and 2 preseason games. That being said, I hope like hell you're right. We could really really use some good fortune in that positional group. I feel like if the OL gets fixed and Darnold turns out to be even decent, our skill positions make this a dangerous offense.

Agree with pretty much everything else.

• Pie 1

Being the eternal ray of sunshine and all that is good and wholesome, I tend to look at the positives, because I understand the preseason and am not a whiny little bastard like some of you loathsome, bottom-feeding, porta-a-pottie dwellers.  Moving forward and upward...

Happy Good Vibes GIF by Social Nation

I really liked Luvu, Taylor (hope he is not injured), Christensen, Brown, Shi Smith, Marshall, Daley, and Moton.  Erving was not horrible, but he needs to swing. Tremble is a player--we have to get him and Luvu on the field to help make us nasty.

I did not like Paradis, Elflein, Jalen Julius, Roy (terrible when I focused on him), Walker (what was that?), Slye (bye bye guy),

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3

Was gonna add on about that specific play, but instead of beating that dead horse, wanted to just say we still have yet to see the starting offense as a whole in terms of personnel and positions. Interested to see what the finalized line looks like, and will reserve judgment until after at least the first real game. If we can get at least half of what I expect from this defense on offense it will be an exciting season.

35 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

@Zod you might be a bit overly optimistic about our OL rookies. I wouldn't pencil them in as starters just because they've looked good in camp and 2 preseason games. That being said, I hope like hell you're right. We could really really use some good fortune in that positional group. I feel like if the OL gets fixed and Darnold turns out to be even decent, our skill positions make this a dangerous offense.

Agree with pretty much everything else.

I hope they do start the rookies .  

They aren’t trash and I swear the free agent olinemen they picked up was true dumpster diving 

31 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I agree. I think because we got so badly stuffed that they called another run on 4th to see it again. Darnold having a play action fake rollout TD to say Arnold isn’t as important as figuring out who should be the LG.

Disagree. Scoring TDs even in the preseason matters. Would have given the entire team more confidence not only in the game but moving forward into the season. I don’t care how you slice it, scoring 3 points in any game is demoralizing.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, hepcat said:

They needed film on running into a brick wall on 4th and goal?

There's a lot you can tell watching oline guys on a play like that.

Footwork and handwork get sloppy when tired. So does Leaning to far forward or back. Feet move slower, reaction time isn't as quick.

It's possible to do everything right and still get beat, but you can tell when guys really give a poo too. That's some important info to have. 

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Without context, we’ve looked very much like the 2010 Carolina Panthers so far (woeful offense, can’t score, respectable young defense, hilariously bad special teams).  

Putting context into things, we have the potential to be somewhat better than the 2010 Carolina Panthers. 

This seems fair and about right.

It seems the team has clearly emphasized “athletic” lineman over maulers.  I don’t expect to be good on short yardage power plays.  I am assuming we will see more pulling and zone blocking schemes.  Hopefully, the people we have can be successful at that type of game.

• Pie 2

All decent OLines have continuity. The Panthers don't have that. I think they'll be okay most of the time, no matter who is in there, but in short yardage situations when the Panthers just need that extra yard or too, I have no faith at all.

Put the rookies on the right and Moton, Daley on the left. They claim those spots until they get injured or someone better comes along (thanks Starship Troopers).

Continuity is the key. Getting lots of snaps as a unit should be imperative and that should start with the last game of the preseason.