• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Perspective, Directive, and Erective - The Panthers offensive woes and you

Zod

Preseason is for evaluating players. You put them in situations to see if they can execute basic football techniques..You don't show nifty things. You find out if a guy is worth a spot. We know Tremble can block. Can Thomoson? Can fringe guys show they should be there? Can thr rookie hold on to the ball?

They learned Thompson maybe can't execute the blocking. They learned Christensen and Brown likely represent near future parts of the line. They learned Walker and Slye gonna Walker and Slye. Marshall deserves a prominent role. Hubbard can produce but probably needs work on ball security.

Yall should listen to the pressies. While not divulging much you can get the gist.

Reacting emotionally about preseason games prevents people from learning anything about what the actual issue s they are trying to solve. Their game plans are designed to answer their questions. Not ours. 

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yep. Based on talent alone he was a day 2 pick and he’s lighting up KC’s preseason. I loved the rest of the draft. I may not have made exactly the same picks but deciding who to pick when and the guys picked all made sense except one. LSs are UDFAs. You don’t skip on potential at OL given that as of the draft we had 1 solid OL and he was only signed for this year. I know a few others were with me to take a chance on Smith and so far it was a mistake. Smith wouldn’t have gotten blown up like Elflein at the goal line.

Especially with an owner who has money to burn. He can get him the top medical care available to any man and still come out way ahead. This is the way to get ahead and around the salary cap some. 

Smith will make about 3M for 4 years. If he can be an average G, playing at a 5M/year level, that’s 17M in value. So putting 5M into his health care is still a bargain. And doesn’t effect the cap. 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Preseason is for evaluating players. You put them in situations to see if they can execute basic football techniques..You don't show nifty things. You find out if a guy is worth a spot. We know Tremble can block. Can Thomoson? Can fringe guys show they should be there? Can thr rookie hold on to the ball?

They learned Thompson maybe can't execute the blocking. They learned Christensen and Brown likely represent near future parts of the line. They learned Walker and Slye gonna Walker and Slye. Marshall deserves a prominent role. Hubbard can produce but probably needs work on ball security.

Yall should listen to the pressies. While not divulging much you can get the gist.

Reacting emotionally about preseason games prevents people from learning anything about what the actual issue s they are trying to solve. Their game plans are designed to answer their questions. Not ours. 

I am trying to stay positive, but watching other teams complete pass after pass all game in the preseason makes me wonder why this team cannot after the 2nd unit leaves the field. 

I get not being able to put a full drive together to score, but this team cannot even run a successful play all second half in both games so far. Joe Brady is supposed to be some kind of guru, but he struggled all last year inside the 20 and it is continuing this preseason.

If preseason is supposed to be about player to player matchups, then everyone but the 1st team is failing spectacularly at this and even the 1st team Oline looks bad. 

Add in Slye and the personnel looks really bad once you dig deeper. I hope Rhule and Fitterer can solve this, but I need someone to show me some light.  

39 minutes ago, 33inNC said:

I am trying to stay positive, but watching other teams complete pass after pass all game in the preseason makes me wonder why this team cannot after the 2nd unit leaves the field. 

I get not being able to put a full drive together to score, but this team cannot even run a successful play all second half in both games so far. Joe Brady is supposed to be some kind of guru, but he struggled all last year inside the 20 and it is continuing this preseason.

If preseason is supposed to be about player to player matchups, then everyone but the 1st team is failing spectacularly at this and even the 1st team Oline looks bad. 

Add in Slye and the personnel looks really bad once you dig deeper. I hope Rhule and Fitterer can solve this, but I need someone to show me some light.  

Its almost like we are an extremely young rebuilding team with some questionable starters. Once those guys are out we have a ton of trash and no depth. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, 33inNC said:

We've played two of the deepest teams in the league and we're in the middle of a rebuild.

We can hang with anyone with our first string in there - albeit they're mostly young - but once you start comparing our seconds and thirds to theirs the lack of quality depth on this team shows.

Thankfully most of those guys will be gone / asked to play sparingly come the season.

• Pie 2

21 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Rhule was directly asked the question here:

I feel better after listening to this. Rhule is not an abject idiot, he knows we need improvement. They'll upgrade the roster if someone worth it becomes available.

As for the preseason play calling, he acknowledged that it's vanilla in nature, so expect better come September. 

Rhule is very calculating and strategic.

I still don't particularly like that he didn't upgrade the backup QB position and especially the kicker during the offseason. He should have acquired some competition at the very least. Those things were seemingly obvious to me. But, Grier did look like a backup QB the other night. Slye is what he is and has always been: insufficient!

• Pie 1

Colin Thompson screwed up the play by whiffing on his block.  Had he blocked his man the hole was off tackle, between LT and the supposed block of Thompson, but he whiffed and a defender hit the gap causing Hubbard to bounce outside.  At that point, the play was doomed.  Re-watch the clip and look at the lazy attempt of a block by #86.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1