• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Darnold "coddled" ?

TheBigKat

13 minutes ago, NAS said:

Rhule confirmed the plan was for him to play between 5 to 10 snaps on offense. Unfortunately, he had only 8 snaps and only two pass attempts.

Unless the concern is keeping him from getting hurt, I am not buying it. I think it has more to do with slowly building his confidence by providing continuity with offensive line and his weapons.

Rhule indicated he expects him to play the first half but was a but noncommittal.

Yeah, NFL coaches are full of bologna to the press and fans.  Rhule does nothing but double talk these days IMO. 

It’s just my belief.  But yeah, I think if we didn’t have the INT….the plan in the post game presser would have been….well we told you wouldn’t play him without his full cast and we never see him. 

10 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I don't like to openly question the intelligence of people (especially those I don't personally know), but it's difficult at times on this board.

So you don't think Darnold would have played without the INT. Even though both sets of starters (on offence and defence) played one series this game?

He kept repeating prior to the game that Darnold wasn't going to play despite Rhule saying he would.

I'd guess he's trying to find a way to spin it so his pregame statements look less dim.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

49 minutes ago, Varking said:

I don't think its a great idea to have Darnold play much without his top guys in there surrounding him. We are still trying to piece together an online and figure out what works. He will play more this week so it doesn't really matter. The team has a plan. 

So his top guys are all playing in practice? Or is danrold not practicing either bc his top guys aren’t there? 

5 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

Put yourself in Rhule’s shoes; do you want your #1 qb playing with backup linemen who are not very good? 

He’s not playing because if he gets hurt this team is absolutely f*cked. A season of PJ or Grier would make me vomit.

25 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I don't like to openly question the intelligence of people (especially those I don't personally know), but it's difficult at times on this board.

So you don't think Darnold would have played without the INT. Even though both sets of starters (on offence and defence) played one series this game?

Rhule hedged his bets and comments going in.   I listen to Matt Rhule bullshit around and make my assumptions off his double talk.   He was hedging for Darnold immediately post game in regards to the Steelers too. 

and no, I don’t think he feels comfortable with people seeing a lot of Sam at this stage and dealing with that.   And reports from camp have been all Sam has largely done is dump it down with all these Indy/Balt reps.   

I said going in I thought it would be the Will Grier show early and we would see the defense for a series.    That was based off Rhule.  I think a perfect scenario for Darnold is what got him in and only that.  Worse case scenario was most likely a 3 and out and 3 points on the board.  So he opted to check the box. 

that’s my tea leaf reading.  Nothing more.   And it’s going to be something people do….because of what Rhule does. 

and Sam might need Rhule coddling him.  That could be the right call right now.   Sam might not be ready.    But if so….it’s why going all in on Darnold was criticized as THE plan. 

I don't honestly think it would matter if we played him every single down of the preseason or absolutely no downs in the preseason. I really mean that. He's either gonna be a disaster or it will work out. Reps in the preseason aren't going to change who he is. 

People are getting caught up in this complete myth about him being a rookie QB. He isn't. He is a 3 year NFL veteran. Outside of simply adjusting to what we are doing offensively, he is most likely going to be the player he is. Preseason reps aren't going to save him or break him.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 5

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I don't honestly think it would matter if we played him every single down if the preseason or absolutely no downs in the preseason. I really mean that. He's either gonna be a disaster or it will work out. Reps in the preseason aren't going to change who he is. 

People are getting caught up in this complete myth about him being a rookie QB. He isn't. He is a 3 year NFL veteran. Outside of simply adjusting to what we are doing offensively, he is most likely going to be the player he is. Preseason reps aren't going to save him or break him.

...if you don't use it...u lose it... you learn something with every snap...

Edited by Pimpdaddy

9 minutes ago, Tepper's Chest Hair said:

Why is not playing many reps in the 1st two games of a preseason game considered coddled?

What exactly is being coddled?

Can this be explained first?  I don't know how to reply effectively unless I know what is even being talked about.  I can't figure out how Darnold is being coddled by not playing atm.

If it’s totally nothing.  Find a comparable to Darnold across the league.  

if it isn’t coddling.  Than Matt Rhule is just smarter than every NFL coach in his first preseason