• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Darnold "coddled" ?

TheBigKat

39 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

Come on man, Goff took his team to a super bowl. 

Sure. So did Jimmy G. So did Rex Grossmam. Nick Foles won a super bowl against Tom Brady. 

Goff isn’t a bad QB. I don’t think anyone is saying he’s better than league average though. Rams basically gave up a 1st and Goff to have a shot at a super bowl because they don’t believe they can win one with Goff.

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Pie 1

19 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Sure. So did Jimmy G. So did Rex Grossmam. Nick Foles won a super bowl against Tom Brady. 

Goff isn’t a bad QB. I don’t think anyone is saying he’s better than league average though. Rams basically gave up a 1st and Goff to have a shot at a super bowl because they don’t believe they can win one with Goff.

Said Jimmy G but meant Colin Kaepernick.

12 hours ago, NiceDreams said:

Now compare performance.

I like Stafford and would have taken him over Darnold.

Stafford had 4 winning seasons in his 12 years in Detroit.  Stats aren't everything. You could say the same thing about Stafford as we do Darnold.  Poorly run franchise, rarely a complete set of weapons and the need to move on.   Both go to potentially potent offenses which should bring out the best in them.

To say their isn't a comparison isn't accurate.  There are a lot of similarities and plenty of things they don't have in common but to say their isn't a comparison is wrong. 

You really can't look deep into this preseason. Coaches are trying to figure out a short preseason and long year. Pitching counts def matter and being healthy is probably top priority. I rather Payton Manning my QB than Mike Vick them.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

As I stated in that comp list. There really aren’t many situations akin to Darnold. There’s only 32 QBs in the league, it’s not like making collegiate comparisons. 

Still, while Goff has had some good seasons, he’s also struggled and is a young QB who the Rams decided to move on from whilst giving up a high draft pick (wasn’t it a 1st?) for a significantly older vet. Goff is now in a new system and not many have a lot of confidence in him. Honestly Goff to me is the most similar comparison although he’s clearly had a more successful career than Darnold so far.

And Burrow was hoping to play this weekend. I understand why he didn’t play because as you said, he’s an injury concern. But he’s still practicing and is probably able to get out there. 

Look, I’m not saying Darnold is the answer. I have never said that, yet it seems that I’m being lumped into this ‘blind homer’ camp simply for defending him. Here is what I have said from the beginning and am still hopeful for.

I think trading a 2nd for Darnold made more sense than trading tons of draft capital for an unproven rookie or a Deshaun Watson who probably isn’t playing this year. Some wanted us to trade multiple 1sts to the Jets to go get Wilson. I think trading a 2nd for Darnold is a much smarter move.

Does that mean I think Darnold is a franchise QB? I don’t know. I think his ceiling is a top 12 QB in this league based on his talent. But I’m not sure the mental side of the game will get there. I don’t ever see him being elite. But I could see him being a starter if he can take a few steps forward. 

If he doesn’t work out, we are out a 2nd. Not multiple 1sts. That’s a better place to be. But I’m hopeful, as all fans should be, that Brady can work wonders with him. So I’m going to give him a chance before bashing him 24/7 on this board, exclaiming he’s a lost cause after he’s thrown two passes in preseason and I’m also not going to formulate wild theories suggesting Rhule is coddling him when we have never seen Rhule in a preseason before now and have no reason to believe that’s the case.

For all we know, Rhule would be sitting any QB in the league during preseason because he feels he can prepare his QB in joint practices without risking injury. We simply don’t know. So yeah, I can’t get on board with bashing the coaching staff or Darnold based on nothing. I know some people get their Panther rocks off by talking poo about Darnold weekly. And they may well be right. He might flat out suck. But the Jets have a terrible track record of developing young talent, QBs especially. So does Gase. So imo the jury is still out on Darnold and I’m going to give him a shot to prove the doubters wrong before criticizing him constantly.

BTW. Hardly any of the starters are getting playtime in the preseason. Is Rhule coddling the entire 1st team? Or could it just be his philosophy that he refers not risk them during preseason games? Probably coddling, right?

Good post. I'd just argue Sean Ryan is the most important guy in Darnold's life right now.

His footwork was his biggest problem. Not his processing. That lead to his inaccuracy and 'slow' processing - ie he didn't have his feet set so he couldn't release the ball on time.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Yeah, well, show me another young ginger QB from Orange County who has struggled and needs significant development who is healthy and basically not playing in the preseason.

This is a valid point. Can one succeed in the NFL without a soul? Andy Dalton didn't.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I like Stafford and would have taken him over Darnold.

Stafford had 4 winning seasons in his 12 years in Detroit.  Stats aren't everything. You could say the same thing about Stafford as we do Darnold.  Poorly run franchise, rarely a complete set of weapons and the need to move on.   Both go to potentially potent offenses which should bring out the best in them.

To say their isn't a comparison isn't accurate.  There are a lot of similarities and plenty of things they don't have in common but to say their isn't a comparison is wrong. 

In the context of this discussion, equating Sam's lack of playing time to Stafford's lack of playing time is not really a good comparison. Stafford is basically a guaranteed 4,000+ YDs and 20+ TDs every year plays a full season. Sam's best year would be a terrible year for Stafford. Not to mention he's a going into his 13th year.

4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Good post. I'd just argue Sean Ryan is the most important guy in Darnold's life right now.

His footwork was his biggest problem. Not his processing. That lead to his inaccuracy and 'slow' processing - ie he didn't have his feet set so he couldn't release the ball on time.

This has to be the biggest argument for why he possibly can turn his career around. And what Rhule means by “he’s basically a rookie” imo. There’s so much he’s missed out on in development. He’s not had a QB coach. That doesn’t mean he needs to catch up to NFL speed. 

Edited by TheMostInterestingMan
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

5 minutes ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

This has to be the biggest argument for why he can turn his career around. And what Rhule means by “he’s basically a rookie” imo. He’s not had a QB coach. That doesn’t mean he needs to catch up to NFL speed. 

I'm not sure the narrative of Sam Darnold has never had a QB coach is really that accurate.  Especially how it is being used. 

That's like saying Mac Jones doesn't have a QB coach and is being setup to fail.