• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Darnold "coddled" ?

TheBigKat

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/22/2021 at 2:17 PM, OldhamA said:

So this is basically all about you falling in love with a QB (I assume Fields) and not being able to get over the fact that the Panthers FO / Coaching staff thought that Horn and Darnold were a better gamble?

I remember this take.

"We just got our franchise QB and our franchise CB in one swoop BOYYYSSS!"

Now we need a new QB and we still need a left tackle.

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

Edited by frankw
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, frankw said:

I remember this take.

"We just got our franchise QB and our franchise CB in on swoop BOYYYSSS!"

Now we need a new QB and we still need a left tackle.

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics

And then got a probowl CB for a 6th a couple of games into the year, let him walk the next year and still don't have a LT or QB worth starting lol

I will never understand the Darnold hope train of 2021

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

And then got a probowl CB for a 6th a couple of games into the year, let him walk the next year and still don't have a LT or QB worth starting lol

I will never understand the Darnold hope train of 2021

Just pure delusion. When a guy sucks for three years, chances are he just plain sucks. Sure, there are some guys who can bounce back and salvage a career elsewhere but those situations are a lot rarer than NFL fans imagine. The vast majority of busts stay busts. That the guy was a mistake of a high draft pick three years ago just couldn't possibly be more irrelevant to who he is in the NFL.

• Beer 2

I criticized not playing him in the preseason but honestly in hindsight I think it was the right call. Hear me out. I think once they got him on the field in camp and started installing the offense they found out very quickly just how limited he was and realized that teams were going to quickly figure him out in our scheme with tape on him. They were basically forced to try to to hide him as long as possible. After four regular season games, the NFL had him straight DIALED. I told everyone who would listen last year that Darnold would likely look decent early on but as teams got tape on him he'd prove what he was. If he still looked decent around Halloween then we might have something. He barely made it out of September.

Screenshot_20220409-095141.thumb.png.b6f15444425eb2466162dd6ce2e8028b.png

• Pie 1

Darnold sucks.  We know.  Mods normally lock kicked threads like this.  I'm sure they won't this time because they desperately hopelessly LOVE the topic.

We should kick one about Rhule and one about Tepper too and feed that fetish.

Nic3EoT.gif

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I criticized not playing him in the preseason but honestly in hindsight I think it was the right call. Hear me out. I think once they got him on the field in camp and started installing the offense they found out very quickly just how limited he was and realized that teams were going to quickly figure him out in our scheme with tape on him. They were basically forced to try to to hide him as long as possible. After four regular season games, the NFL had him straight DIALED. I told everyone who would listen last year that Darnold would likely look decent early on but as teams got tape on him he'd prove what he was. If he still looked decent around Halloween then we might have something. He barely made it out of September.

Screenshot_20220409-095141.thumb.png.b6f15444425eb2466162dd6ce2e8028b.png

I'm not defending Darnold per se but the same thing happened in 2020 too. I think it has a lot to do with the poor coaching and strategic abilities as well. Perhaps the new assistants help that.