• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How good is Joe Brady really?

Mr. Scot

This conversation has arisen in a couple of other threads, so I thought I'd give it a place.

It's generally acknowledged that OC Joe Brady has a brilliant offensive mind. In my opinion, it's fairly evident in his play design.

Now with that said, play calling and game planning are different skill sets. It's possible to be very good at writing out plays but not so much at knowing what to call when the pressure is on.

It should also be noted that Brady is young, hasn't really been a true solo coordinator before and might still be growing into his job.

So I'm wondering, what is people's opinion on how good Joe Brady really is overall in the job of offensive coordinator?

Add to that how good you think he potentially could be.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Too early to judge, we need to see what he does with Darnold and the offense this year.  

However, I was really impressed with how he spoke to the media this week and think if he can prove himself this year, he won't be an OC for long, but a head coach.

• Pie 2

I think hes got the potential to be one of the best in the game.  The next McVay or Shannahan.  BUT he needs to refine his craft and his situational play calling especially.  Also it will help to see him run his offense with a healthy CMC and a QB whos not afraid to take chances when they are presented to him. 

• Pie 7

Calling plays and having the QB execute them are two different things. I can't imagine Brady called for all of those 7 yard dump-offs last year, it was just Teddy using his check downs.  At least from Darnold's past, he is more times than not, running the play as designed.  It's just those times when he shouldn't be running it that was is when he got in trouble.  

I think we truly know this year.  We have a QB willing to sling it now.  If we still have all these issues scoring/red zone again, its a Brady thing.  If it's a ton of INT's, its a Darnold thing.

My only concern so far, is the redzone production. The difference between the elite, good, average, and bad offenses besides turnovers is when you get into the opposition's territory you get TDs, not field goals. I thought last year, it was mostly Bridgewater, but the first 2 preseason games i still see the trend of kicking FGs and with a bad K like Joey Syle, uncomfortable situation. 

Edited by gmonjimbo
  • Pie 5

9 minutes ago, BigCat#1 said:

Give him 1 more year. The play calling meltdown in Minnesota last year was the worst I've ever seen 

I thought the defensive play calling meltdown was way worse in that game. Cousins had all day with no pass rush and PREVENT D on the field during the 4th quarter.

• Pie 1

I always wondered about the reasons he is labeled a genius or prodigy.  If it is genius, how do commoners recognize it?  If we could recognize genius when we see it, then we were capable of conceptualizing it ourselves, making us all would-be-geniuses.  Did someone call him a genius then everyone repeated it (Emporer's new clothes type of thing.)  I mean, he wanted Bridgewater and we won 5 games--4 with Bridgewater. He failed to get first down by calling a fullback dive--and we questioned him. Had that FB gone for 6, we'd be calling Brady a genius.

I think there is something there, but we have to look for percentages and not miracles.

Little Women Hashtag GIF by Lifetime Telly

• Pie 3

Play Design - I'd say 8.5 - 9 out of 10

Play-calling in 2020 - 6.5 - 7 out of 10

Overall I think we have a good OC that is still growing into that role at the NFL level, from ''Collegiate Passing Game Coordinator'' to ''OC" is a HUGE jump. 

I think we have more in place at all spots on offense, and even with the concern over the OL, I'd wager it's a little better off than last season, it stands to reason we should be pretty good on offense especially if the defense is as good as it is on paper at the key spots. 

Edited by SetfreexX
  • Pie 2

The dude is what, 34 or 35 yrs old in his 2nd year in the NFL as a OC. I think he's going to be really good but people here have placed overly high expectations on him because of his sucess with Burrow. I would say hes a lot better than what we have had here in years past. 

• Pie 2