• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How good is Joe Brady really?

Mr. Scot

12 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The thing with Brady is that he's only just going into his third year as an OC. As much as NFL Owners and GMs want him to be, he's not a savant like McVay.

I've been pleased with Brady so far - he'll only get better too.

As for the RedZone production - sadly that was due to our lack of weapons (and a QB afraid of slinging it). Things are much more difficult when you can't just hand it to / dump it off to McCaffrey and watch him beat two players.

They've gone out in the offseason and acquired two big RedZone threats - Arnold and Marshall. Two big bodied, high-point catching weapons. We'll see if he struggles in that area this year. 

He's going into his 2nd year as OC

Brees, then Burroughs were his QBs. A loaded Saints team and a loaded LSU teams were where his reputation for genius was fostered. He came to a Panthers team that didn't have any kind of reliable QB situation and wasn't stacked compared to the competition.

Honestly, you kind of have to step away from the genius label and give him some room to work. This is an infinitely tougher situation to succeed in, and one that wasn't going to be quick for anyone. So let's give him the season, but withold the genius or immediate HC gig talk until we see what he can do with what we have. 

Genius is a word thrown around too easily in these days of hot takes.

15 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Brees, then Burroughs were his QBs. A loaded Saints team and a loaded LSU teams were where his reputation for genius was fostered. He came to a Panthers team that didn't have any kind of reliable QB situation and wasn't stacked compared to the competition.

Honestly, you kind of have to step away from the genius label and give him some room to work. This is an infinitely tougher situation to succeed in, and one that wasn't going to be quick for anyone. So let's give him the season, but withold the genius or immediate HC gig talk until we see what he can do with what we have. 

Genius is a word thrown around too easily in these days of hot takes.

I mean the LSU team was loaded, but he got that offence singing.

Just look at their numbers pre and post Brady.

People seriously underrate the job he did here last year.

We had 4 1,000 yard players.  That isn't just some footnote - it rarely happens.  Only the 5th team in the Super Bowl era to do so.  And we did it with a patched up OL and a mediocre, at best, QB.

It is a testament to how intelligently Brady designs his plays that he can find a way to get so many mouths fed.  There is a reason he's such a hot commodity at 31 years old.  He learned under Payton for 2 years.  Helped coach up an electric LSU offense in his lone year there, and was there for the development of some BEASTLY receivers.

No doubt in my mind that he is a great up-and-coming OC.

Edited by Mage

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

This conversation has arisen in a couple of other threads, so I thought I'd give it a place.

It's generally acknowledged that OC Joe Brady has a brilliant offensive mind. In my opinion, it's fairly evident in his play design.

Now with that said, play calling and game planning are different skill sets. It's possible to be very good at writing out plays but not so much at knowing what to call when the pressure is on.

It should also be noted that Brady is young, hasn't really been a true solo coordinator before and might still be growing into his job.

So I'm wondering, what is people's opinion on how good Joe Brady really is overall in the job of offensive coordinator?

Add to that how good you think he potentially could be.

Systems themselves rarely last more than 1 season before DCs figure it out.

Its those other skills that make a coordinator.  If those skills develops he should be fine.  If not, he’ll be back in LSU.

34 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I mean the LSU team was loaded, but he got that offence singing.

Just look at their numbers pre and post Brady.

That's why I'm like give him a chance. But sometimes it also means you happened to catch that magic moment. We won't know really until we're deep into this season which guy he is.

I think the HC thing was way too early IMO and mostly based on what he did at LSU. IMO he had some growing pains last year. Our red zone numbers were bad and while we want to blame Bridgewater for everything good OCs win in the red zone. That's where they are the best. I look forward to seeing what he can do with Darnald and how his red zone approach improves this year. 

Edited by Snake

3 hours ago, Jorgie said:

If he can’t put it together with this group then he ain’t got it.

He's got one year experience at the job with questions at QB and all along the Oline except for Moton. It's way too early to say something like that. If the QB can't get them the ball, ala Teddy, or doesn't have time to get them the ball, it doesn't matter how good the skill position guys are.

12 minutes ago, Snake said:

I think the HC thing was way too early IMO and mostly based on what he did at LSU. IMO he had some growing pains last year. Our red zone numbers were bad and while we want to blame Bridgewater for everything good OCs win in the red zone. That's where they are the best. I look forward to seeing what he can do with Darnald and how his red zone approach improves this year. 

I think if he gets a HC job in the next couple seasons, he will be a massive failure. I know the hot thing right now is to get the next Sean McVay but a lot of these young offensive minds have flamed out in their first stops. Many more than were hits. It's not a guaranteed path to head coaching success being an innovative or brilliant offensive mind. 

He may take a couple of stops and a lot longer time in the NFL before he is ready for something like that. 

I hope he sticks around here for a bit and doesn't get poached immediately.

1 hour ago, Khyber53 said:

That's why I'm like give him a chance. But sometimes it also means you happened to catch that magic moment. We won't know really until we're deep into this season which guy he is.

Even a two season data set may not be enough to draw complete conclusions on what he is. People are understating just how young and early in his career he is. Who knows what he may be with 5, 6, 7 years of NFL experience under his belt?