• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So... Sam Darnold. Are you encouraged or discouraged

Zod

for all of you trashing Sam because it was vs. backups, etc. It was also his first action in the stadium, and he was playing behind a line that has a lot to do to get right.  I think he was better than Teddy.  I will leave it there---I predicted 2 TDs and 146 yards--he got 2 TDs and 160 something yards--about what I predicted--meaning that he did his job tonight.

• Pie 6

3 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Honestly,  I thought he looked like a rookie.  A good rookie,  but still a rookie. One that is still learning this offense and his targets.  The offensive line is not doing him or this team any favors.  I think Rhule will be forced to throw the two rookies in there if things don't improve in a hurry. 

I like most of what Fitt has done, but man, that first day of FA has left me scratching my head wondering how much better we could have done with that $$$. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I like most of what Fitt has done, but man, that first day of FA has left me scratching my head wondering how much better we could have done with that $$$. 

You can say that for every team.  Hind sight is always perfect.   Tne money was spent to ensure there was someone to hold down the position until they found someone better.   

There was no guarantee that the draft would yield the talent they managed to get.  I was never a fan of trying to build through FA nor going after "big named FA's" anyway. Sometimes you have to try to hedge your bets before the draft to ensure you don't get caught drafting for need.  That's a horrible way to build a team.

I can almost guarantee that Fitts is feeling a bit of buyers remorse with quite a few of these guys himself. 

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 3

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

The problems I have with Darnold should improve as he gains experience with this system. What worries me is that Steeler nobodies were racing through our o-line to scare the devil out of Darnold. He's already jumpy and seeing ghosts. That doesn't bode well for this season, but the next draft could fix the problem.

The Steelers pressured on every down and often brought 5 or even 6. I thought the O line did better as they worked out their protections over the first couple of series.  I was actually encouraged by the fact that we faced 3 top 10 defenses and the oline got tons of work figuring things out.  Once we get our starting five set I think the O line will be better than projected at 31 this year. I think middle of the pack and that would be a huge upgrade for Darnold.

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

"Darnold needs to start!"

*Darnold starts. Plays well*

"Well, it was against backups!"

The Huddle is full of morons. You guys are clowns.

And when he plays well week 1:  "Well, that was not the Super Bowl." 

It seemed to me that they were running vanilla plays and they told him to get rid of the ball vs. taking a hit.  He did his job, got off the field, and he was not hammered all night trying to convince a bunch of root ranchers that he can dominate a preseason game.

• Pie 4

54 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Y’all. This was the Steelers backups. Sam was acceptable against backups. He didn’t light it up and they left plenty of points on the field.

The bigger issue is how horrible the offensive linemen were.

Tampa’s D-Line might end Darnold’s season playing like a bunch of Ray Charles and Stevie Wonders like Smitty said. 

The Steelers were a top 3 defense so even their depth is good and they blitzed on just about every play bringing 5 and 6. I though the o line got better after the first 2 series and played well.  Once the starting 5 gets settled I expect them to play middle of the pack which is all Darnold needs given what he is used to having. He had to be excited.

• Pie 3

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Both.

Encouraged by the way he threw the ball in a clean pocket.

Discouraged that he still sees ghosts and panics at the first hint of pressure.

Bruh stop saying ghosts, it’s not even correct in this context

• Pie 2