• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith Sr

Paa Langfart

I enjoyed it and thought he was entertaining, but I can see how some people didn't quite like it. He doesn't have much practice and was sort of winging it, so I think he did an ok job. If he had more chances to do live games and get more comfortable he'd likely formulate his thoughts into words better and it'd smooth out a lot of the stuttering and small pauses mid sentence. He had some insightful things to say.

Looks like I'm the one of only a few in agreement. In some ways at least.

It isn't a good look when you're on the air roasting your own players. Smitty offers some actual strong insight at time that you don't see from the talking heads. Some stuff that I'd personally like to hear more of. But the constant ribbing on Joey Slye, despite making for good TV, isn't a good look on the brand -- tarnishing your own product. I can get on board for telling it like it is, and being critical of your own players when it's warranted (and it was), but Smitty needs to either learn how be one-and-done with some of his comments or listen to the producers in his ear.

I enjoy a lot of the broadcast, but he definitely has a ways to go before he's fully put-together.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

Good god guys. Madden sucked when he first started doing commentary.  (go watch A Football Life John Madden) I love his takes and he says some funny things which makes it enjoyable.  

Give him a chance to grow into this position.  He has the gametime mentality and I for one is glad he points out gaffs and mistakes.

Edited by DaveThePanther2008
  • Pie 3

Listening to Smitty last night had me thinking a couple things:

- his roasting of guys is funny for a meaningless preseason game…but I dunno if it’s a good look for regular season

- to know surprise, he’s absolutely full of himself 

- Taylor Z did a good job of responding after some of smitty’s long “philosophical” comments

Overall, I think Smitty was entertaining at times, but in my opinion he’d be better off commentating an XFL game or Rough N Rowdy match.

• Beer 1

While there were some good insights he gave, Smitty is better as an analyst who can take some time to prepare what he's going to say. Given free rein and the need to fill airspace, he can say some pretty unprofessional things. Give him some game film to watch and a few hours to prepare his thoughts, he can provide you with some serious knowledge and perspective.

I think the NFL Network has him set at the position he needs to hold.

But yeah, the comments on Joey Slye at times seemed cruel. It was just kicking a man while he was down. 

Edited by Khyber53
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

I am over Smith in all honesty. great player. great person. Shitty teammate. 

With that said, I certainly enjoyed him calling out the same kind of poo many here call out as downfalls or things that need correcting. That kind of honesty is rarely heard in the context of calling a game. I LOL'ed when Curtis Samuel was brought up and the reply was "He only had 4-5 catches per game...not a big loss"...

Not a fan of Smitty..but I am a fan of honest perspective in the booth!