• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith Sr

Paa Langfart

21 minutes ago, Ready 2 Win said:

I am over Smith in all honesty. great player. great person. Shitty teammate. 

With that said, I certainly enjoyed him calling out the same kind of poo many here call out as downfalls or things that need correcting. That kind of honesty is rarely heard in the context of calling a game. I LOL'ed when Curtis Samuel was brought up and the reply was "He only had 4-5 catches per game...not a big loss"...

Not a fan of Smitty..but I am a fan of honest perspective in the booth!

89 was a great football player.  I think he tries and does some good things in life. 

I think he basically acknowledges he is a pretty shitty guy overall though.   I don’t find enjoyment in 89 shitting on people.   Because he doesn’t just do it a Talib.  It’s universal.  Claiming it is just the truth is a lie.  89 is just an asshole.  It is what it is.   

you would probably rather have a beer in life with Joey Slye.  Heck of a WR though. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 2

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

89 was a great football player.  I think he tries and does some good things in life. 

I think he basically acknowledges he is a pretty shitty guy overall though.   I don’t find enjoyment in 89 shitting on people.   Because he doesn’t just do it a Talib.  It’s universal.  Claiming it is just the truth is a lie.  89 is just an asshole.  It is what it is.   

you would probably rather have a beer in life with Joey Slye.  Heck of a WR though. 

I was referring to him giving honest takes about plays we were running, Darnold and happy feet...etc etc. We usually don't hear that kind of commentary from the home team broadcast booth. I felt like he took a lot of the gripes from here, and took it on air where it cannot be ignored so easily. 

The personal stuff about players....well I agree with you that is just Smitty being (the asshole) who he is. 

• Beer 2

9 hours ago, Paa Langfart said:

guys that have an axe to grind against the team should not have a platform to grind it from.  Apparently #89 does.  

Shame on Tepper for sucking up to the ax grinding jerk.

signed a former Steve Smith fan.

I rely don't understand your rationale. If Smitty had an ax to grind, he'd be dogging out the organization and airing dirty laundry. He loves the Panthers and wants what's best for them. And, unfortunately, that's not Joey Slye. 

I don't know guys, I honestly had a great time listening to Smith. His commentary was hilarious, and while he was mean, it's not like the entire building didn't agree with his takes. When Joey missed that field goal, I knew it was over for him, you know it was over for him, it's the nature of football. 

Sure he is rough, but if he can clean it up a  bit he might gain some traction.

At the least he showed some excitement. Beats the heck out of Mick Nixon's near sleepy depressing calls.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Although I did cringe as some moments of Steve Smith last night, but not enough to make a big deal of this. He is nothing compared to Shaq and Barkley on Inside the NBA , and that's a literal award winning and top rated show on TNT. 

It's preseason and being color analyst was the liven up the situation.

• Beer 2

25 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Although I did cringe as some moments of Steve Smith last night, but not enough to make a big deal of this. He is nothing compared to Shaq and Barkley on Inside the NBA , and that's a literal award winning and top rated show on TNT. 

It's preseason and being color analyst was the liven up the situation.

Now that you say it, you are correct that he is similar to Barkley in his level of honesty. It is a bit cringey at moments, but that is the reason that he is there. He is the polar opposite of Mick.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Ready 2 Win said:

I was referring to him giving honest takes about plays we were running, Darnold and happy feet...etc etc. We usually don't hear that kind of commentary from the home team broadcast booth. I felt like he took a lot of the gripes from here, and took it on air where it cannot be ignored so easily. 

The personal stuff about players....well I agree with you that is just Smitty being (the asshole) who he is. 

The happy feet he showed and commented on werent happy feet though.   That's actually how a qb is supposed to keep their feet moving and bouncing.  That was correct footwork for a qb in the pocket.   I'm not sure if Smith just doesnt know that somehow or he already knew he was going to talk about happy feet with darnold and just chose a bad time.