• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

1st Round Redo: Horn vs Slater

hepcat

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

Rhule valued getting off the field on 3rd down by drafting Horn. But as we saw last night, is that even going to matter if the offensive line is getting absolutely mauled and Darnold is getting sacked? Even when the defense gave the offensive good field position with a turnover they couldn’t capitalize because of poor offensive line play. 

The OL gave up 2 sacks and paved the way to 34 points. Are they a great unit? No. Did it look pretty? No. Do they have big name guys (other than Moton)? No. But You do that every week and you are going deep in the playoffs 

This topic is dumb as hell. You don’t draft Horn we have the same argument for corner. This isn’t fantasy football chief. 

We have a couple glaring holes on this team OL and LB those will be addressed when we can do so. I suppose you’ve erased from your memory Corn getting roasted and popped last year 

27 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

This topic is dumb as hell. You don’t draft Horn we have the same argument for corner. This isn’t fantasy football chief. 

We have a couple glaring holes on this team OL and LB those will be addressed when we can do so. I suppose you’ve erased from your memory Corn getting roasted and popped last year 

Elder was actually good last year. He was poor the prior years. 

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Paradis played well in stretches last season but he also played quite poorly at times. That's sort of the overall problem with him as a player, it's hard to have a streaky center. That's the guy on the line you really need stability from. 

As you know each week is a different matchup against often great nose tackles.  If also depends on what technique and gap scheme the defense is using.whether you look better in pass or run protection.  Just like a good line can make a QB look good, a QB who can move in the pocket and get the ball out can make a line look better than it otherwise would be.  Paradis won't be the problem this year.

7 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

As you know each week is a different matchup against often great nose tackles.  If also depends on what technique and gap scheme the defense is using.whether you look better in pass or run protection.  Just like a good line can make a QB look good, a QB who can move in the pocket and get the ball out can make a line look better than it otherwise would be.  Paradis won't be the problem this year.

I don't think he will be "the" problem just "a" problem. 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

It's what I've been suggesting. You're the one intimating that it's all good. "So what if the interior of the O-line implodes during preseason, like we've seen continually, at the end of the day we'll be middle of the pack." 

That's not good enough.

No I am saying it is too early for all the negativity and bitching. No one says they don't need a lot of work. Simply that the line like most things are a process and that they will improve like they do every year. And yeah if you start out at 30 and finish around 15 that is good enough for now especially if you have a great D and win. It is good enough for the future? Of course nor. Rhule's goal of getting better every day than you were yesterday seems apropos. 

Slater has looked good against who though? Horn on the other hand has gone against a decent WR core in practice. Outside of Bosa who I doubt he has matched up against. Slater may be good but not enough to let Horn be passed over. LT is important don’t get me wrong but unless I’m mistaken this is a passing league and we went years struggling against the pass, terribly.

22 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

No I am saying it is too early for all the negativity and bitching. No one says they don't need a lot of work. Simply that the line like most things are a process and that they will improve like they do every year. And yeah if you start out at 30 and finish around 15 that is good enough for now especially if you have a great D and win. It is good enough for the future? Of course nor. Rhule's goal of getting better every day than you were yesterday seems apropos. 

Your "Chicken Little" comments, "negativity" and "bashing" comments are a bit overblown, if not an outright mischaracterization.

I am not changing my mind. If we don't do something about the O-line based upon this preseason's play, then I predict that you'll be lauding in January how our line was middling at best. And, no, we don't get to start out with a bar of middle-of-the-pack this season when we were the exact same last season.