• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deonte Brown last night

Mr. Scot

17 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

FYI: Per Aaron Wilson, both of the guys who got ragdolled by Brown last night are among the Steelers first cuts.

Probably a stretch to say that's a cause and effect thing, but hey... 😕

They got cut because they are still embedded in the turf from where they got smashed.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, ClawOn said:

You're the OL guy @Mr. Scot why isn't Brown pencilled in as a starter yet?

My guess would be because he's raw and has a lot to learn.

Is he physically dominating? Yep. But if he doesn't know the protection schemes and such, he could wind up being a liability.

Remember Ryan Kalil telling the story about how, halfway through his rookie season, he felt like he had no clue what he was doing and some of the veterans or chuckling about it? And Ryan was a super smart guy.

It's not an easy transition.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

My guess would be because he's raw and has a lot to learn.

Is he physically dominating? Yep. But if he doesn't know the protection schemes and such, he could wind up being a liability.

Remember Ryan Kalil telling the story about how, halfway through his rookie season, he felt like he had no clue what he was doing and some of the veterans or chuckling about it? And Ryan was a super smart guy.

It's not an easy transition.

I completely understand and get all of this, but I have a question:

Does it really matter if your qb gets sacked because the rookie didn't completely understand the scheme or because the vet just flat out couldn't get it done? Isn't the result pretty much the same? On the other hand isn't the rookie likely to get where he needs to be faster by being out there than by watching from the sidelines? Can anyone actually make a compelling fact based argument not just a purely subjective one, that playing a rookie who doesn't fully grasp the scheme results in more bad outcomes than playing a veteran whom NFL caliber DC's and DL's figure out from film or by the end of the first quarter at worst can be beaten one on one?

I am starting to become increasingly of the opinion that coaches do this not because it's actually the best thing to do for the team overall, but because it's the conventional thinking (which NFL coaches are horrible at following even when the conventional thinking is flat wrong), and because of the perception issue:

If a rookie gives up a sack, fans tend to blame the coach for playing an inexperienced player, wheras if a veteran gives up a sack, fans tend to blame the player for playing poorly, or even the GM for not giving the coach a better option, but are far less likely to blame the coach.  I think this tendency in coaches is actually blame shifting on the part of HC's and OC's and arguably not in the best interest of the team overall.

• Pie 3