• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi (MTL)

GamecockSmitty4

Fabulous move.

The $6M offer sheet prices KK out of Montreal unless they move someone as it takes them 10% over the cap.

Sure he’s overpaid this year but we can afford it and we may already have a gentleman’s agreement with him for an extension (which can be less than the $6m offer sheet). The only risk for the Canes would be if KK plays out the season and his QO was $6M next year. I doubt Waddell does the offer sheet if there isn’t an agreement already in place. As for why Montreal wouldn’t match and do the same thing… for one they would have to move someone out, secondly KK doesn’t seem to enjoy Montreal so it’s highly unlikely he’d play there for less than his QO.

If anyone can get KK’s best out of him, it’s RBA. Start him on the wing with his buddies Aho and Turbo and go from there.

KK - Aho - Turbo

Svech - Trocheck- Necas

Nino - Staal - Fast

Marty - Stepan - Lorentz

Leivo - Noesen

Slavin - Pesce

Skjei - TDA

Cole - Bear

Smith

Andersen

Raanta

Not to mention, we can afford the loss of a first and a third as they will likely be late picks and we have a ton of talent waiting in the wings… Honka, Koivunen, Morrow, Tieksola, Rees, Bokk, Suzuki, Drury, Jarvis, etc.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2

35 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Fabulous move.

The $6M offer sheet prices KK out of Montreal unless they move someone as it takes them 10% over the cap.

Sure he’s overpaid this year but we can afford it and we may already have a gentleman’s agreement with him for an extension (which can be less than the $6m offer sheet). The only risk for the Canes would be if KK plays out the season and his QO was $6M next year. I doubt Waddell does the offer sheet if there isn’t an agreement already in place. As for why Montreal wouldn’t match and do the same thing… for one they would have to move someone out, secondly KK doesn’t seem to enjoy Montreal so it’s highly unlikely he’d play there for less than his QO.

If anyone can get KK’s best out of him, it’s RBA. Start him on the wing with his buddies Aho and Turbo and go from there.

KK - Aho - Turbo

Svech - Trocheck- Necas

Nino - Staal - Fast

Marty - Stepan - Lorentz

Leivo - Noesen

Slavin - Pesce

Skjei - TDA

Cole - Bear

Smith

Andersen

Raanta

Not to mention, we can afford the loss of a first and a third as they will likely be late picks and we have a ton of talent waiting in the wings… Honka, Koivunen, Morrow, Tieksola, Rees, Bokk, Suzuki, Drury, Jarvis, etc.

I think we see Jarvis on a line at least to start the season. That’s been rods MO. Other than that I agree. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I think we see Jarvis on a line at least to start the season. That’s been rods MO. Other than that I agree. 

He very well could. He’s played mostly center with Portland but he can also play right wing. Stick him on Staal’s wing so that he’s got a good defensive centerman to play with.

KK - Aho - Turbo

Svech - Trocheck - Necas

Nino - Staal - Jarvis

Marty - Stepan - Fast

Leivo - Lorentz - Noesen

• Pie 2

17 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Sure he’s overpaid this year but we can afford it and we may already have a gentleman’s agreement with him for an extension (which can be less than the $6m offer sheet).

Are you sure we can offer sheet him for $6.1 million and then turn around and immediately sign him under a different deal for the 21/22 season?

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, zacka77ack said:

Are you sure we can offer sheet him for $6.1 million and then turn around and immediately sign him under a different deal for the 21/22 season?

He’s locked it at $6.1 for 21/22.

However, the Canes could have an agreement in place with his reps that because we gave him a great QO that he’ll sign a bridge for one or two years or so 22/23 and 23/24 at maybe 2x$2.5M. Once the bridge is up he’s a UFA either he panned out and we keep him or he didn’t and we don’t.

So essentially it’s like a 3yr/11M or a 2/8M deal with the $6.1M coming in the first year on the QO.

After the bridge is up KK becomes a UFA and we can evaluate his value appropriately.

I think the QO had to be as high as it is to price him out of Montreal as he doesn’t seem to be keen to play there so an extension was never really in the cards. Say Montreal does match and KK doesn’t agree to an extension before the following year, Montreal has to qualify him at or above the $6.1M mark. If they did that they’d really mess up their cap space for Suzuki and Caulfield.

No sources or anything just a hunch. If KK and his agent don’t agree to a bridge (off the record) for the following seasons before you submit the QO then you don’t do it because he could turn around and play in Carolina on the $6.1M and choose not to sign an extension before the year is over meaning that we’d have to qualify him at $6.1M or higher.

If it works out, it’s quite a shrewd move.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, trueblue said:

Love it for the LOLs… but this dude isn’t close to a 6 million dollar player. 

trading a 1st and 3rd for a dude that was a health scratch in the Stanley cup finals is a but much.  

A late first and third for a 21 year old, former 3rd overall pick that has pretty solid advanced metrics is a fair value. The overpay in $$ for a single year is what it takes to pull a Madden and "force" the trade because there's no reason for the Canadiens to accept a fair trade. 

I guarantee you that Eric Tulsky was consulted before signing this offer sheet. 

• Pie 2

Taking a few comments from Reddit about the ins and outs of the QO:

u/Downvote_Comforter:

Mostly correct, although qualifying offers are more than a simple formality. The QO is what a team must present a player in order to hold their RFA rights. If a soon-to-be RFA is not qualified, then they become a UFA. If qualified, the soon-to-be RFA can either accept the qualifying offer (and sign a 1 year contract for those terms) or they can continue negotiating with the team to reach any contract. Players are also free to sign any type of extension before the qualifying offer is due.

It's more than just a formality as it creates a very real "floor" for a 1 year contract on the next offer. This gives the player the leverage to reject any poo offer from the team by simply saying "why would I sign that poo when I could just sign my QO instead?" But it still allows the team and player to agree to a multi-year deal for an AAV less than the 1 year QO amount.

u/papercutssc2

QO offer is nul and void if player accepts a contract before the QO deadline, yes. You are correct it would become a formality.

What's not a formality is if the player gets injured or plays poorly and the offer is no longer on the table than the player can default to the QO and get 6.5 million for another year OR becomes an UFA. This high $ QO gives the player a lot more bargaining power than a regular RFA with arbitration rights. So not really a formality.

So it sounds like the Hurricanes CAN offer a different contract if KK will accept it? I guess it depends on when the QO offer deadline is?

• Pie 1