• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canes offer sheet Jesperi Kotkaniemi (MTL)

GamecockSmitty4

3 hours ago, zacka77ack said:

Taking a few comments from Reddit about the ins and outs of the QO:

u/Downvote_Comforter:

Mostly correct, although qualifying offers are more than a simple formality. The QO is what a team must present a player in order to hold their RFA rights. If a soon-to-be RFA is not qualified, then they become a UFA. If qualified, the soon-to-be RFA can either accept the qualifying offer (and sign a 1 year contract for those terms) or they can continue negotiating with the team to reach any contract. Players are also free to sign any type of extension before the qualifying offer is due.

It's more than just a formality as it creates a very real "floor" for a 1 year contract on the next offer. This gives the player the leverage to reject any poo offer from the team by simply saying "why would I sign that poo when I could just sign my QO instead?" But it still allows the team and player to agree to a multi-year deal for an AAV less than the 1 year QO amount.

u/papercutssc2

QO offer is nul and void if player accepts a contract before the QO deadline, yes. You are correct it would become a formality.

What's not a formality is if the player gets injured or plays poorly and the offer is no longer on the table than the player can default to the QO and get 6.5 million for another year OR becomes an UFA. This high $ QO gives the player a lot more bargaining power than a regular RFA with arbitration rights. So not really a formality.

So it sounds like the Hurricanes CAN offer a different contract if KK will accept it? I guess it depends on when the QO offer deadline is?

This is all true but the key is that KK has accepted the QO from the Canes meaning that is his contract this year with either Carolina or Montreal.

The thing is, he’ll still be an RFA once the QO contract expires next year and per the NHL CBA, his next QO has to start at the $6.1M mark. However, KK can agree to any extension that he’d like and that contract would begin in 21/22.

The issue for Montreal is that KK doesn’t seem too keen to sign an extension so he’d play on his QO this year and force Montreal to qualify him again at $6.1M next year or let him walk. If Montreal did that they’d be in rough cap shape with Suzuki’s and Caulfield’s contracts coming up.

In Carolina’s scenario, there’s rumors that KK would sign an extension and even cut the Canes a deal since they helped him get out of Montreal.

Per this tweet, KK will agree to a contract with the Canes where the total money averages out at $4M per year if the Canadians do not match.

For example, let’s say KK signs a 3x$3.3M

Year One QO - $6.1M

Year Two (First Year of Extension) - $3.3M

Year Three (Second Year of Extension) - $3.3M

Year Four (Final Year of Extension) - $3.3M

In total, it’s essentially a 4x$4M ($16M total)

• Beer 1

14 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Lol. Maybe they shouldn’t have gone after Aho.

That is an understatement.  That offer sheet was actually a really kind gesture by the Habs as we gladly signed Aho for what they were offering.

A couple of years pass and we returned the favor, but really used the leverage of what an offer sheet is for.

I think KK does well here.  He'll be amongst his countrymen and has excellent coaching! 

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, GamecockSmitty4 said:

And now Montreal is trading a 1st and 2nd for a 25 year old center from Arizona who has yet to score 40 points. 

That alone easily justifies the trade compensation for Kotkaniemi. Then, like I said before, the overpay in $ is what it took to force the trade through. 

What a shrewd move by the Canes. 

I do hope we already have a gentleman's agreement on an extension though. 

A $6.1M QO would really suck for us if he plays well! 

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

It’s going to be really interesting to see where KK slots in.

This could be a special season if Andersen gets back to playing the way he did a couple years ago and Raanta stays healthy.

Icing on the cake would be TDA replicating his season from 2019.

L1... 3 finns? for sure.

• Pie 2