• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

(PFF) Sam Darnold while in a clean pocket

ncfan

14 hours ago, ncfan said:

I know it’s PFF, but this is something I’ll believe them on.  It’s basic stats and clean pocket is simple judge off of

THAT is exactly what I had hoped to see.  THAT is exactly what we saw.

I know some of you crabby-asses will still bitch like you’re bleeding from the bottom half of your bodies, but this was the gamble.  Sam can do this.

• Pie 4
  • Poo 1

34 minutes ago, joemac said:

And what exactly do you think most of our offense is going to be with the YAC monsters we have on the field? Sam just needs to get the ball out quick, in space, to our many playmakers and let them do their thing. 

I didn't say anything about what our offense is going to do this season, I was commenting on how Sam played and how stat lines can be deceiving.

Swing passes to the RB behind the LOS aren't really that impressive, Teddy could do that.  Most of the QBs in the league can do that.

Most QBs can have a decent stat line based on play calling.  The elite QBs are the ones that can be successful when asked to do more.

Do you want to pay $30m a year for a guy that can just do the underneath stuff?

I'm not hating on Sam, my only point is they didn't ask him to do much this game, we will get a better idea of how good he is when he is asked to do more.

I'm trying to remember the 4 plays over 9 yards;

1st series, the one he missed to wide open Marshal over the middle, should have been touchdown.  No QB hits that 100% of the time but the good ones complete it more than the bad ones.  We don't know which category Sam is in yet.

Mid range crosser to Robby I think, threw behind him, could have been a pick.

4th down throw 1st series, could have been a pick.  4th down so if it would have been a pick not a big deal.

TD throw to Robby.  Very good pass.

All fair points but we also weren't running a game planned offense.  The offensive line also has a game plans for different kinds pressure teams bring.  We also didn't have our best weapon on the field so they didn't have to worry about him.  Kind of a wash for me.

What gets me is that this place would have imploded of the stats were different and proclaimed Darnold to be a bust. 

4 hours ago, ickmule said:

Let’s not overreact to a preseason game where the opposition defense had about half its starters in the game.   Until we see what he does against an aggressive defense in regular season we have no idea. My bet is he is somewhat the same as he was in New York….once a QB starts seeing ghosts under pressure it’s hard to get that out of their mind.  

I think you are wrong. When Darnold was in New York they had a system and Darnold ran it with little input.  From what Joe Brsdy said, this system was built around what Darnold does best.  Sam has great weapons and he isn't being asked to do anything but distribute the ball and let the players do the work. Darnold never lost the fire or the desire to compete. Now he has the team around him to do that.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, ickmule said:

Let’s not overreact to a preseason game where the opposition defense had about half its starters in the game.   Until we see what he does against an aggressive defense in regular season we have no idea. My bet is he is somewhat the same as he was in New York….once a QB starts seeing ghosts under pressure it’s hard to get that out of their mind.  

Not even close to an overreaction. What was posted is called basic facts.

17 hours ago, glenwo2 said:

Then he'll fail and everyone here (the naysayers) will pat themselves on the back for being "right".   Yay.

There will be ups and downs with Darnold, that's true...especially since he's trying to develop chemistry with his teammates and learning each WR's tendencies and timing.

But the OL isn't going to do him any favors if they suck.

O-line should've been top priority imo.

That all-defensive draft last year probably should've been oline oriented.

On 8/29/2021 at 7:19 AM, Rubi said:

The stat line doesn’t show the dropped INT/the near fumble while getting sacked or the missed throws down the field. While he had a nice 2nd quarter, you still saw the same scary things that he did with the NYJets

i thought his best play of the night was a bootleg right with a defender in his face and he stutter stepped him and dropped his arm angle and delivered a strike out into the flat. 

multiple times Smitty commented on his nervous feet in the pocket. I think we will see some extreme highs and lows this year from Sam 

He still sees ghosts from playing in nj

• Beer 1

23 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

All fair points but we also weren't running a game planned offense.  The offensive line also has a game plans for different kinds pressure teams bring.  We also didn't have our best weapon on the field so they didn't have to worry about him.  Kind of a wash for me.

What gets me is that this place would have imploded of the stats were different and proclaimed Darnold to be a bust. 

The feeling would be justified if he came out and bombed. The reaction would be different today if that defender caught that gift of an easy INT and if the sack pass attempt was ruled a fumble …

not trying to dump on him too much but a couple bounces the other way people would absolutely would be freaking out lol

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Rubi said:

The feeling would be justified if he came out and bombed. The reaction would be different today if that defender caught that gift of an easy INT and if the sack pass attempt was ruled a fumble …

not trying to dump on him too much but a couple bounces the other way people would absolutely would be freaking out lol

That is very true.    But I think it's also a blessing for him mentally that he ended up with a good night the way he did.

It may have woken him up to the realization that..."hey! I'm not on the Jets anymore!"

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Rubi said:

If they were freaking out then that would speak to what they don't know about football. Every qb gets gifts at times when they get the call or get lucky when a defender drops the easy INT. The question is how the QB responds to the gift. Does he become tentative or keep playing his game. I thought Darnold kept his composure and came back with good throws. The mark of resilience which I appreciated. I think he knows he made some mistakes but knows that he has a team around him now so he doesn't have to be perfect.

• Beer 2