• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut down day thread.

Zod

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I mean, if Rhule were stuck on LSU players or Clemson players it'd make more sense, but Temple and Baylor aren't exactly powerhouses. As a result, we aren't, either. 

We have 2 Baylor players.  Again, as many as Western Michigan guys.  

Now, I can see the pessimism when it comes to Temple.  Especially considering PJ still being here when he is quite frankly a fringe backup/CFL starter talent.  But, do consider if you were brand new to coaching in the NFL and there were 2 already moderately successful guys that you coached available (Robby and Reddick).  Yeah, I think it makes sense to bring them in.  Guys that trust you, understand your approach. 

And the others guys aren't having a huge impact but honestly, Chandler and Franklin look like fine depth pieces.  Franklin may even supplant Burris at some point.  So really, we're talking Thompson and PJ as the guys that may undeservingly be here.  

I get you're not a Rhule fan but you're hyperbolizing it a bit.  I don't like PJ being here but I don't really have a problem with the others.  And we just released Kirkwood.   

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, davos said:

Now, I can see the pessimism when it comes to Temple.  Especially considering PJ still being here when he is quite frankly a fringe backup/CFL starter talent.  But, do consider if you were brand new to coaching in the NFL and there were 2 already moderately successful guys that you coached available (Robby and Reddick).  Yeah, I think it makes sense to bring them in.  Guys that trust you, understand your approach. 

And the others guys aren't having a huge impact but honestly, Chandler and Franklin look like fine depth pieces.  Franklin may even supplant Burris at some point.  So really, we're talking Thompson and PJ as the guys that may undeservingly be here.  

I get you're not a Rhule fan but you're hyperbolizing it a bit.  I don't like PJ being here but I don't really have a problem with the others.  And we just released Kirkwood.   

A coach can build the best team of players, or he can build a team of players he knows. Rarely can both occur at the same time. This isn't one of those occasions, as evidenced by his keeping a subpar player over someone who beat him (or, even signing someone better than both).

• Poo 1

10 minutes ago, davos said:

I doubt Thompson is on the team at 4:01. And, I think PJ beat out Grier, but has a good chance of getting cut himself if we can find someone else.

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

A coach can build the best team of players, or he can build a team of players he knows. Rarely can both occur at the same time. This isn't one of those occasions, as evidenced by his keeping a subpar player over someone who beat him (or, even signing someone better than both).

Grier was a 3rd round bust...get over it

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

A coach and GM collaborate along with their scouting depts with their best knowledge and experience to bring in players to a franchise.  It's not black and white.  

You're mad about us keeping PJ and already didn't like Rhule.  If you want to stick with that, then fine man. 

I just don't really see this PJ thing as a huge concern although I would very much prefer rolling the dice elsewhere.  He likes him more than Grier and we may not pick up a guy.  And he beat a crappy Lions team starting for us last year.  Whether it's because of the familiarity bias or not, I'll hold concerns but I'm not all sunshine and roses w/Rhule.  He has a lot to prove in pulling together an offense right now considering the positional talent we have at RB and WR.  

Just now, davos said:

A coach and GM collaborate along with their scouting depts with their best knowledge and experience to bring in players to a franchise.  It's not black and white.  

You're mad about us keeping PJ and already didn't like Rhule.  If you want to stick with that, then fine man. 

I just don't really see this PJ thing as a huge concern although I would very much prefer rolling the dice elsewhere.  He likes him more than Grier and we may not pick up a guy.  And he beat a crappy Lions team starting for us last year.  Whether it's because of the familiarity bias or not, I'll hold concerns but I'm not all sunshine and roses w/Rhule.  He has a lot to prove in pulling together an offense right now considering the positional talent we have at RB and WR.  

The issue is beyond simply PJ being a bad backup QB. The issue is it sends the message that alma mater is more important than performance. That's not something any coach should be known for.

6 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

The issue is beyond simply PJ being a bad backup QB. The issue is it sends the message that alma mater is more important than performance. That's not something any coach should be known for.

maybe you should go follow the falcons...or the saints

im 100% behind our coach & gm

• Poo 1

13 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

You're looking at the school in a vacuum.  It's the individual from prior experience.  Not some impulsive Owl influx.  I'm still open to Rhule and don't see PJ as a reason for turning on the guy.  It's our backup QB.  I mean, we kept Weinke until 2006.  

And here's not a perfect analogy, but let's say you kept up with someone in your industry that you worked well with and were beginning a start up, are you not going to consider him/her when you get going? Sure, don't let it blind you from making a move for a better option but Grier wasn't that.  

And I have seen no clear cut obvious backup signing that is in this zone where they looks better than PJ but won't create a weird situation for Darnold.  And if Darnold sucks, we're obviously getting a top QB pick next year or a proven vet QB so it is likely PJ's last season here anyways.   

Edited by davos

The Temple/Baylor connection isn't to the point that it is greatly concerning. But you also can't entirely dismiss it either due to the glaring failures of Carolina's last two head coaches whose own brand of loyalty and stubbornness ended up being their downfall despite being our two most notable hires in franchise history based on their success though limited it ultimately was. Matt Rhule has other attributes that make up for this and separate him so far. But this is a very important season and excuses for losing should be in short supply regardless.