• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut down day thread.

Zod

Initial thoughts:

• 4 TE plus Ricci as a FB/H-Back/TE  -> maybe the team sees more of a role for Tremble catching passes and don't want to get him stuck just as a blocker.  Also expect more 2TE sets.  
  • The entire 2021 draft class stays on the team (with a bit of trickery)
  • JJ Jansen survives for another year ! 
  • Deonte Brown and Brady Christensen both set up well to become starters later this year (or next season)
  • 4 SS ?? - one or two cuts for newly claimed players will come from this group
Edited by BlitzMonster
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Just now, KB_fan said:

With only 2.5 RBs currently on the roster (CMC, Chuba and *Cannon) add RB to the list of positions we'll be looking for on waivers!

LB, RB, OL...

QB???

K?

And maybe WR until Shi is healthy.

Fitty gonna be busy!

for sure the team will have 1 RB (or more likely 2) on the practice squad

• Pie 1

39 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Rhule's presser.  He said, "Walker is the backup if we had to play right now, but I do not want to say more than that" (paraphrasing).  Walker is not that good.  41% completion in preseason and some accuracy issues.  I think we can do better.   Nobody said it had to be a "massive talent upgrade," by the way.  A backup has time to learn the system--I do not see your points as very valid, but that is my perspective.

Let me just say this, yes PJ walker has to learn touch with his passes and some of those passes were dropped by the receivers. Also, it is because PJ walker is always trying to go downfield and not taking check downs. If he did, his completions would be like Griers.

46 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Rhule's presser.  He said, "Walker is the backup if we had to play right now, but I do not want to say more than that" (paraphrasing).  Walker is not that good.  41% completion in preseason and some accuracy issues.  I think we can do better.   Nobody said it had to be a "massive talent upgrade," by the way.  A backup has time to learn the system--I do not see your points as very valid, but that is my perspective.

Carolina can definitely do better, but if the best you can do is Garrett Gilbert or someone of similar skill level -- is it really worth it to sign a guy that is at a significant disadvantage at QB because he has to come in and learn your system during the season rather than just rolling with Walker for another year? 

7 hours ago, Rocky Davis said:

Keeping either PJ or Grier is almost equivalent...if Sam goes down we are heading for a top 5 pick IMHO.

I believe we might see a waiver claim or maybe a trade for a backup, but don't get your hopes up.

We can knock out like 9 or 10 wins. The defense alone is going to carry the team mix that with a athletic quarterback who can move the ball when he needs to,doesn't get shook up by pressure and you got like 9 wins.

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, Tinamedina said:

We can knock out like 9 or 10 wins. The defense alone is going to carry the team mix that with a athletic quarterback who can move the ball when he needs to,doesn't get shook up by pressure and you got like 9 wins.

He doesn’t move the ball much is the issue. His numbers are horrible. He got carried to a win last year against a dying Lions team that the defense literally shut out. Most guys could give us 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions and win if the defense is going to shut out a really bad team. 

newton_david.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer 

Matt Rhule says the Panthers likely will go into the season with two quarterbacks, but he didn't exactly commit to the second being PJ Walker or rule out a third quarterback could be added to the practice squad. With the COVID situation it seems risky not to have a quarterback stashed on the practice squad. One thing is clear, although the roster will be at 53 today it may not be the same 53 by next week.