• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut Will Grier - PJ Wins backup QB spot

Zod

OK, let's talk "Cam as the backup."

Every time Darnold throws a bad pass, an interception, or the Panthers lose, we'd all have to hear from those "stuck in 2015" idiots who think he is still the answer.  Cam is an Alpha male who would feed off the attention from the crowd at Games--it would be counterproductive.

I’m not one to talk team chemistry and such but Grier was the one organizing and leading offseason trainings in Charlotte for practically the entire offense. Even through Covid when players were not allowed at facilities he setup times for the team to get work in. 

I’m not saying he’s a great backup, but if you are going to have a qb that can’t win games be your #2, his leadership in the local community was probably pretty undervalued. 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, CRA said:

my bad, I misread it lol, I thought you said he pushed the ball 5 yards downfield.  As in checked downed.  You said something completely different.  Carry on. 

Glad you clarified. I was really confused by your comment.

Walker is highly inaccurate. Anyone that can't see that must be crosseyed.

Will Grier struggled to see the field since he was drafted, then struggled when he did, totaling just 228 yards, zero touchdowns and four interceptions while completing 28 of his 52 attempts (53.8 percent) over his only two appearances. Although he wasn’t as offensive this preseason, he obviously did not do enough to inspire the staff to keep him onboard into his third year.

1 hour ago, Adb6368 said:

I’m not one to talk team chemistry and such but Grier was the one organizing and leading offseason trainings in Charlotte for practically the entire offense. Even through Covid when players were not allowed at facilities he setup times for the team to get work in. 

I’m not saying he’s a great backup, but if you are going to have a qb that can’t win games be your #2, his leadership in the local community was probably pretty undervalued. 

Thought about this too. Seems to be plugged in with the players

3 minutes ago, Captroop said:

This says one thing to me; we're signing another QB before the week is over. I think we were going to roll with 3 on the 53 man roster, we just didn't like our 3.

I think Will Grier clears waivers and is right back with the team.

There is no indication the Panthers want to add talent that threatens Sam.  Rhule doesn't want the headache. 

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think Will Grier clears waivers and is right back with the team.

There is no indication the Panthers want to add talent that threatens Sam.  Rhule doesn't want the headache. 

I don't think we need anyone to contend for the starter job. We just need a competent backup. A 30-something journeyman clipboard holder would fit the bill. We had two third-stringers, and canning one didn't mean we got a backup by default.

Edited by Captroop

6 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I don't think we need anyone to contend for the starter job. We just need a competent backup. A 30-something journeyman clipboard holder would fit the bill. We had three third-stringers, and canning one didn't mean we got a backup by default.

that's the catch.  A competent backup becomes someone Rhule would have to deal with in relation to Sam....in terms of the media, fans, etc.   He doesn't want to deal with that. 

If Carolina hadn't signed Sam Darnold and made him starter...he would most likely be a competent backup somewhere right now.   Sam comes out slow....and Rhule would have to deal with stuff he doesn't want to deal with.  If there is no high caliber backup, there is less noise.