• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers cut Will Grier - PJ Wins backup QB spot

Zod

"They released veteran cornerback Rashaan Melvin as part of the moves. That will leave them young in the secondary for the first two weeks of the season.

The Panthers also waived safety Kenny Robinson, waived/injured running back Reggie Bonnafon and placed rookie long snapper Thomas Fletcher on season-ending injured reserve." One more move to make

Not a fan of either guy, but I'm not surprised we cut Grier. He was a fairly high draft choice (3rd round) chosen as insurance in case CAM had another injury plagued season in 2019 (which he did). When he couldn't beat out Kyle Allen (who I believe was undrafted) I knew he wouldn't be here for the long term...unless he showed some significant improvement (which he never did). In hindsight, Hurney's last draft in 2019 was TERRIBLE...which is really the norm for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if that move was made in order to leave room for a recently cut QB. We'll know soon enough.

Edited by SCO96

41 minutes ago, CRA said:

that's the catch.  A competent backup becomes someone Rhule would have to deal with in relation to Sam....in terms of the media, fans, etc.   He doesn't want to deal with that. 

If Carolina hadn't signed Sam Darnold and made him starter...he would most likely be a competent backup somewhere right now.   Sam comes out slow....and Rhule would have to deal with stuff he doesn't want to deal with.  If there is no high caliber backup, there is less noise. 

You seem to be all in on this PR angle...you know what the best PR is for Rhule and the Panthers?  Winning.  Your suggestion that Rhule is being deliberately negligent and is motivated by external reasons beyond simply putting together the best team possible is pretty borderline tinfoil hat speculation IMO.

I'll grant that it's within the realm of possibility that Rhule is reluctant to bring in competition for Darnold, but I believe that if that's the case (however unlikely it is), it's a much more logical deduction that he is doing that because he believes that will help Darnold (and the team) perform better...not because he's worried about media/fan chatter.  There are players who are fueled by competition and will elevate their game with a back-up breathing down their necks, and there are other players who perform better with a sense of job security and trust and take a hit to their performance when they're too much in their head about getting benched or cut (see: Joey Slye in the last preseason game).  Maybe Darnold is in that latter category...personally I couldn't care less as long as he performs well.  That part is obviously TBD and what our season hinges on.

• Beer 2

1 hour ago, CRA said:

that's the catch.  A competent backup becomes someone Rhule would have to deal with in relation to Sam....in terms of the media, fans, etc.   He doesn't want to deal with that. 

If Carolina hadn't signed Sam Darnold and made him starter...he would most likely be a competent backup somewhere right now.   Sam comes out slow....and Rhule would have to deal with stuff he doesn't want to deal with.  If there is no high caliber backup, there is less noise. 

That’s ridiculous 

19 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

That’s ridiculous 

Sam Darnold is a fringe starter.  If we hadn't been in the spot we are in he would be a backup QB this year. 

Now maybe he can be redeemed and developed.  Maybe not.   But if you put another player like that on the roster (like a Menshew).....it creates something Rhule then has to deal with immediately.   

Half this board would be calling for Menshew to start today.   I would be.   And that is why Menshew and comparables to him aren't here.   You see me calling for PJ?  Nope. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sam Darnold is a fringe starter.  If we hadn't been in the spot we are in he would be a backup QB this year. 

Now maybe he can be redeemed and developed.  Maybe not.   But if you put another player like that on the roster (like a Menshew).....it creates something Rhule then has to deal with immediately.   

Half this board would be calling for Menshew to start today.   I would be.   And that is why Menshew and comparables to him aren't here.   You see me calling for PJ?  Nope. 

Our QB is going to be very good for us this year

and saying half this board says anything means nothing as half this board over dramatizes everything 

Edited by Scott12345
  • Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

Our QB is going to be very good for us this year

and saying half this board says anything means nothing as half this board over dramatizes everything 

you hope he is.  which is fine. 

but he is most definitely a fringe starter at this moment and Rhule doesn't want a to deal w/ what a Menshew type brings.   

Fanbases dramatize everything (that isn't unique to the huddle).  So does the media.   

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

I see what you're saying and I see & understand what Rhule is doing, but personally I think if he truly cares about the fanbase he would've never brought in Sam to begin with. With that being said I do believe that a QB1 competition would have been bad for Sam's development and maybe his confidence, but that is also another opinion. We know Sam as a hard working guy. He already knows that this year is basically a prove you belong year. I don't think bringing a good backup in doesn't bring that narrative, its already here.