• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

• panthers-redskins-1.jpg

53-man roster breakdown: Panthers still taking shape

20 minutes ago, Carolina Panthers said:

rssImage-b0ce027699d00df546be88665f46cc9e.jpeg

There will be changes in the coming days, but the first version of the roster is long on home-grown talent.

View the full article on Panthers.com

16 of 18 from 2020 and 2021 draft on this roster is impressive.  It's a great start.  A couple more years and we'll be doing well. 

24 of 53 are draftees which do not include UDFAs. 

• Pie 2

Only 4 CB but I noticed a few of our safeties can play CB. I think Burris can play nickel and Hartsfield can play CB as well. 

5 TE? I don’t see that lasting. Ricci is listed as a FB and 4th RB. I think Colin Thompson and Ricci both get cut.

we also have 5 DT. I think Hoskins could be let go but maybe our staff likes him too much to let go?

I could see us getting an OL, LB or RB. Possibly a qb as well.

I think we have a lot of guys who can play multiple positions and that’s something the current staff likes. Chinn can play multiple positions, we have offensive linemen who have experience at multiple positions and we have Defensive linemen who can play LB/DE.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

Extra bodies at RB will be guys added to the practice squad.  No need for them to take up roster spots.  

I think we need 3 rbs. I don’t think Cannon is even good enough to be a 3rd string RB, just a special team player. RB is an easy position to find talent at, find some young undrafted player with potential.

33 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Only 4 CB but I noticed a few of our safeties can play CB. I think Burris can play nickel and Hartsfield can play CB as well. 

5 TE? I don’t see that lasting. Ricci is listed as a FB and 4th RB. I think Colin Thompson and Ricci both get cut.

we also have 5 DT. I think Hoskins could be let go but maybe our staff likes him too much to let go?

I could see us getting an OL, LB or RB. Possibly a qb as well.

I think we have a lot of guys who can play multiple positions and that’s something the current staff likes. Chinn can play multiple positions, we have offensive linemen who have experience at multiple positions and we have Defensive linemen who can play LB/DE.

It looks like our base offense is going to feature a bunch of 2 TE looks, but I dont think we keep 5. 

Chinn is listed as our only FS on the depth chart with a ton of SS still on the roster. Maybe we plan on those guys contributing at LB in some fashion? 

5 DT is probably about right, we will be rotating heavily, any reps these young guys can get only helps us in the future. We will be depending on these guys to develop. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, mc52beast said:

Seems like Panthers have taken a ruthless approach to building this team. You don’t get bonus points for being a vet and if you aren’t producing or not buying in then you’re history.

Good.  Long over due.  Don’t let the door hit you (ageing vet coasting on last contract) on the way out.

• Beer 1
  • The D 1

8 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

It looks like our base offense is going to feature a bunch of 2 TE looks, but I dont think we keep 5. 

Chinn is listed as our only FS on the depth chart with a ton of SS still on the roster. Maybe we plan on those guys contributing at LB in some fashion? 

5 DT is probably about right, we will be rotating heavily, any reps these young guys can get only helps us in the future. We will be depending on these guys to develop. 

If I remember correctly we don’t really have a FS position and Burris and Franklin can play both spots if needed.

I think the way our defense is that FS and SS are interchangeable or I remember hearing that. 

I am okay with us keeping 4 TE but not 4 TE and Ricci a TE turned FB. Seriously why? Tremble can be the FB or we can have a RB play FB as well.

Is Ricci even that good of a blocker? Because I always thought he was more of a pass catching TE

9 minutes ago, Kuhndog94 said:

8 players from Temple and Baylor in the first iteration of the 53 man roster. 

Hmmmmmmmm.

14 players from the 2015 Temple team made it to the NFL.  One being one of the better LTs in the entire game in Dion Dawkins.  A lot of these guys scouted by Rhule are deservingly in the NFL and so it makes sense he'd want to land the most successful ones.   

So yep, 5 of our 6 are from that team (Excluding Sam Franklin because he made it there the year Rhule went to Baylor, Rhule just scouted him)

College Team Counts:

Temple - 6 (PJ, Robby, Reddick, Franklin, Chandler, Thompson) Robby & Reddick are proven and came in such.  I'd argue Franklin and Chandler have proven there worth and I'm excited about both.

South Carolina - 4

LSU - 2

Maryland - 2

Ole Miss - 2

Baylor - 2

Notre Dame - 2

Western Michigan - 2

Washington - 2

--

I'll only get peeved in the event PJ is sticking around as our backup if the Darnold experiment fails and he's just this long term backup behind 3 different tries at QB.