• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule's Interview Post-Cut Down

davos

I just don’t see us keeping 5 TE. I think we have too many special teams players as it is but our staff seems to like the guys who don’t really offer anything except special teams.

I would love to get a new back up QB but who? Who can we get that can play in our system and can learn our playbook? If we replace Walker with a different QB we could be screwed if Darnold gets hurt. You can’t expect a QB to do well if they hardly know the playbook. Then again PJ Walker isn’t that good either. Our team put a lot of faith in Darnold.

I guess it’s a smart decision because it Darnold ends up being a bust then we will suck and need to get a top QB in the draft. So if he sucks we should end up with a top draft pick to get a QB. If he does well then we should be a good team and not need a QB in the draft.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I just don’t see us keeping 5 TE. I think we have too many special teams players as it is but our staff seems to like the guys who don’t really offer anything except special teams.

I would love to get a new back up QB but who? Who can we get that can play in our system and can learn our playbook? If we replace Walker with a different QB we could be screwed if Darnold gets hurt. You can’t expect a QB to do well if they hardly know the playbook. Then again PJ Walker isn’t that good either. Our team put a lot of faith in Darnold.

I guess it’s a smart decision because it Darnold ends up being a bust then we will suck and need to get a top QB in the draft. So if he sucks we should end up with a top draft pick to get a QB. If he does well then we should be a good team and not need a QB in the draft.

Its weird to see the team talk so much about special teams given ours have always sucked. 

Maybe they plan to punt a lot or kickoff a lot, I'm hoping for the latter. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

Its weird to see the team talk so much about special teams given ours have always sucked. 

Maybe they plan to punt a lot or kickoff a lot, I'm hoping for the latter. 

I noticed that too. We keep signing all these players who can only play special teams. I mean Cannon sucks at Rb and is supposedly the top gunner in the league so he’s clearly just here for special teams. Stanford is a career special teams guy who doesn’t bring anything as a starter, Zylstra is a special teams player who might can be a decent back up but seems to only be on this team because of special teams. The DE we just traded for is a special teams guy. Maybe he does have potential as a starter but hasn’t shown it yet. We have JJ Jansen who is only a LS and drafted an LS when we could have drafted another position and I heard that we are keeping another player because of special teams. 

why not sign players who offer more than special teams? I remember when we had Greg Hardy on special teams laying people out. Keep one ace and the rest should be young players with potential or vets who are good back ups like we used Chase Blackburn. It’s wasting a roster spot to me.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

I'd only go after a backup that could be young and come out of nowhere (like that Miami kid) or a guy that could win us a game if we're in contention (unsure if that's really out there relative to what we get in PJ) 

So, if we fair alright but Darnold doesn't look like the answer (which I suspect could easily happen--I.E. 7-9 wins, no playoffs, Darnold looks iffy at times), then it doesn't matter who the backup is; this crew will be mandated by Tepp to either find a proven vet or draft one high and just make it happen.  That's why I don't think this year's QB2 matters all that much.   

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, rmoneyg35 said:

Colin Thompson is a Rhule guy, only reason he's here. Fitt will have to force him or Ricci off the roster due to the numbers game

2 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yes, nice recap OP.  That being said, regarding TE...  you mentioned a reason each of them are here except for Thomas.  What does he do well?  That's rhetorical, and coming from someone who really believed in him.

I thought we landed a TE that year.  Remember having that 1st pick in the 4th and people were like, oh damn that's a steal.  He's an all around TE, huge upside.  Just too bad he couldn't work out the fundamentals at this point.  Frustrating because I thought he could have been fire.  

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yes, nice recap OP.  That being said, regarding TE...  you mentioned a reason each of them are here except for Thomas.  What does he do well?  That's rhetorical, and coming from someone who really believed in him.

Thomas is a weird one.

They've talked him up all off-season. Everyone knows he's awful though - they MUST be trying to trade him, right?

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, davos said:

I don't think this year's QB2 matters all that much.   

I think you are spot on. 

A backup QB is a guy who can come in and win a game or two if the starter goes down.  For this team, that isn't really necessary.   The Panthers are almost surely not in playoff contention this year so the extra losses don't matter.    

A good backup QB will be much more important in a couple of years when this team is much more competitive.  

I'd be a lot more interested in adding a PS quarterback this year that is really raw but has potential.  He could learn our system for a season and maybe contribute in the future.  

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, BlitzMonster said:

I think you are spot on. 

A backup QB is a guy who can come in and win a game or two if the starter goes down.  For this team, that isn't really necessary.   The Panthers are almost surely not in playoff contention this year so the extra losses don't matter.    

A good backup QB will be much more important in a couple of years when this team is much more competitive.  

I'd be a lot more interested in adding a PS quarterback this year that is really raw but has potential.  He could learn our system for a season and maybe contribute in the future.  

Are you really giving Matt Rhule like 5-6 losing seasons? That’s a lot of patience. 

• Pie 3