• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers currently have the most cap space in the entire NFL

joemac

What extensions? There's DJ and that should be the only big money extension. We could extend Jackson but he shouldn't get big money right now and he may want to try to use this season to prove he deserves big money rather than sign a middle of the road extension now. Same thing with Carter. I'm sure we'd ink him to good backup/marginal starter money right now but going into his first season as a starter he may want the opportunity to prove he deserves more than that.

Just now, joemac said:

Everybody is competing for a title.  If not, then whats the point?  Who says we cannot make a run this year?  Don't get me wrong, I don't really think we're gonna win the SB this year, but everybody in the organization has to go into each season with the mindset of doing everything they can to be successful in this season.  

Yeah but the ORGANIZATION is aware that we aren't a Super Bowl team this season. The coaches and players have to believe they can. Otherwise it's over before it started.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What extensions? There's DJ and that should be the only big money extension. We could extend Jackson but he shouldn't get big money right now and he may want to try to use this season to prove he deserves big money rather than sign a middle of the road extension now. Same thing with Carter. I'm sure we'd ink him to good backup/marginal starter money right now but going into his first season as a starter he may want the opportunity to prove he deserves more than that.

We still have Burns coming up too. The more money we can keep rolling over the better. Especially with what looks to be a solid, young core.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Looks great now but 17 million of that goes bye bye next year when the cap hits of our two highest contracts go up.

And?  We have 35 million right now for next year, plus whatever gets rolled over this year.  Some of y'all cannot be happy about anything, I swear....

• Pie 8

12 minutes ago, Santee_Panther said:

Gratuitous reminder that we accomplished that cap space despite $45mil in dead cap. Third most in the league this year.

Also, we will have $8mil in dead cap next year from Paradis (void years) and $4mil from Reddick (void year).

Name Cap Number
Teddy Bridgewater $17,062,500
Kawann Short $11,017,000
Luke Kuechly $7,130,000
Tre Boston $2,666,666
Stephen Weatherly $2,000,000
Graham Gano $1,537,500
Denzel Perryman $1,000,000
Greg Little $893,895
Michael Palardy $500,000
Zach Kerr $250,000
Kenny Robinson $249,150
Will Grier $205,545
Christian Miller $184,254
Jordan Scarlett $155,300
TOTAL $44,830,708

Help me understand:  Is dead cap money that we're still actually paying the player?  Or is it money we just can't use?

Surprised to see Luke on this list...

*edit: Wow, Luke only retired in Jan 2020.  Feels like years ago.

Edited by Tommy Jone

Just now, Tommy Jone said:

Help me understand:  Is dead cap money that we're still actually paying the player?  Or is it money we just can't use?

I believe its money that was already paid out as signing bonuses and guaranteed money to the player. 

• Pie 3

2 minutes ago, Tommy Jone said:

Dead cap is already spent. Mostly tied to bonuses/guarantees that have long been spent but the NFL's rules allow to be spread out over the course of a few seasons for accounting/flexibility purposes.

It's money that cannot be spent in that given year.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 2

6 minutes ago, joemac said:

And?  We have 35 million right now for next year, plus whatever gets rolled over this year.  Some of y'all cannot be happy about anything, I swear....

Never said it made me happy or sad just pointing out a fact same as you relax 👍

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1