• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers currently have the most cap space in the entire NFL

joemac

1 hour ago, joemac said:

Everybody is competing for a title.  If not, then whats the point?  Who says we cannot make a run this year?  Don't get me wrong, I don't really think we're gonna win the SB this year, but everybody in the organization has to go into each season with the mindset of doing everything they can to be successful in this season.  

You can definitely make a move, and still have a considerable amount of cap to carry over. Nothing wrong with exploring opportunities to get better. 

They should do so. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Davidson Deac II said:

Our dead money for next year should look better as well.  We could be in a good position next year, if Darnold works out. That is a big if of course.  

I hope he does.

It would solve so many problems.

But here's the main issue :  The O-Line.

We need to look at the waiver wire and find someone....ANYONE off that scrap heap that could help us.

Remember....a better O-Line keeps Sam upright and our Playoff aspirations upright as well.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

We finished 2014 5-1 with a playoff loss at Seattle that was closer than the score. Seattle was a Lynch run away from winning it all and we lost by 15 on a 90 yard pick 6. If we score a TD while on Seattle’s 10, the score is 24-24 late in the game.

Suffice it to say, the end of 2014 with the OL getting stabilized by a rock solid interior was a whole lot different than our 2-9 2020 finish and our rock solid, er, maybe pudding solid OL.

Sure the football pundits saw the 7-8-1 record and couldn’t see the potential, but saying 2021 has a chance to be 2015 is just silly. We’re so far away from gelling and we also have a SB champion blocking our division path. We were 2x division champs going into 2015.

It wasn't just the pundits.

After Benjamin went down with an injury, a pretty significant portion of the fanbase was ready to abandon ship.

• Beer 1

Just now, glenwo2 said:

I hope he does.

It would solve so many problems.

But here's the main issue :  The O-Line.

We need to look at the waiver wire and find someone....ANYONE off that scrap heap that could help us.

Remember....a better O-Line keeps Sam upright and our Playoff aspirations upright as well.

I agree, but I was primarily looking at next year.  Hopefully, the extra cap space or a new draft will help us address the oline issues next year.  And maybe some of our draft picks from this year will be good enough to make the oline less of an issue.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Santee_Panther said:

Gratuitous reminder that we accomplished that cap space despite $45mil in dead cap. Third most in the league this year.

Also, we will have $8mil in dead cap next year from Paradis (void years) and $4mil from Reddick (void year).

Name Cap Number
Teddy Bridgewater $17,062,500
Kawann Short $11,017,000
Luke Kuechly $7,130,000
Tre Boston $2,666,666
Stephen Weatherly $2,000,000
Graham Gano $1,537,500
Denzel Perryman $1,000,000
Greg Little $893,895
Michael Palardy $500,000
Zach Kerr $250,000
Kenny Robinson $249,150
Will Grier $205,545
Christian Miller $184,254
Jordan Scarlett $155,300
TOTAL $44,830,708

I still don’t understand why retired players count against the cap.  That’s a player decision not the teams. 

14 minutes ago, stbugs said:

"If Darnold goes for 5000 yards and 35 TDs and 10 INTs then sure we may have a chance, but we aren’t really a contender."

"We aren’t a title contending team this year and maybe not next year. Lock the guys down that we want to be here for the next 5+ years, save the cap space and splurge when Tampa is ripe for a takeover."

Darnold doesn't have to throw for 5,000 yards for us to have a chance. We have CMC back and Chubba has been added. There are run plays too. Haha! I see no reason to believe that we ABSOLUTELY can not be contenders this year. We lost like 8 games by one score or less last year. And I think it is safe to say that we got better. Maybe even significantly. (That depends on Darnold's play) Plenty of weapons on offense, and a young attacking defense. Special teams has also been an area of focus. I'm not saying that we should throw money around aimlessly, but we should definitely upgrade if it is beneficial now and in long run. If we make the playoffs, anything can happen. Other teams get better every year too man, we can't reasonably assume the next few years will be easier than this one. 

• Pie 4