• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can this guy really be "THE GUY" for the Aints

CarolinaLivin

Disappointed they didn't roll with Taysom The Golden Calf of Bristol. That was a surefire sweep.

Winston I am much less confident about. If he can cut down on his TO's.....he might be rough to face. I would hate to see them go straight into another era of good to great QB play. Then the media will be blowing Sean Payton even more.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

13 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

Hard to say, Lasik may have really helped him.

I would have rather had him than Teddy. He would have been A HELL of a lot cheaper, and would have been extremely entertaining and equally frustrating.

I can see the record being the same, but instead of checkdowns like Teddy, he would throw interceptions to lose 4th quarter games.

Lasik only fixes the eyes. Decision making... not sure that can be fixed. 

As we already have a Sam Darnold analysis thread about him in a clean pocket. I wanted to use this to kind of analyze winston. There is a lot of hype on our defense this year. And hopefully we will be generating a lot of pressure week 2 against the saints. 

We will also likely be coming off a solid week 1 win with (hopefully) Sam having more confidence after a W vs. the Jets. 

• Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Lasik only fixes the eyes. Decision making... not sure that can be fixed. 

Agreed, but I think it could help him see pinpoint windows when he is making risky throws.

I don't remember where I read it, but Jameis once told everyone he couldn't see anything at all. Like at school, everything was a blur even if he was in the very front or very back of the class.

If all he was seeing was blurs and no hands or numbers, this could have really effected him in the short game and made it almost impossible for him to see where to place the ball on deep shots.

His new set of eyes could deter him from making as bad of decisions. (Or maybe not, maybe he will just keep doing dumb stuff lol)

I judge Winston like all the rest.  QB DNA.  It is what it is.  You don't change it.  You can try.  In the end QB DNA is what it is.  Winston will always make dumb plays in the end.   We have seen the I'll fix it thing a million times.   

The problem is he can catch fire.  And you are going to have to tough day trying to stop him if you catch him on that day. 

• Pie 4

23 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

Hard to say, Lasik may have really helped him.

I would have rather had him than Teddy. He would have been A HELL of a lot cheaper, and would have been extremely entertaining and equally frustrating.

I can see the record being the same, but instead of checkdowns like Teddy, he would throw interceptions to lose 4th quarter games.

Sam has 36 career INTs. 
Winston threw 30 INTs in one season.

….and everyone is up in arms as to how “turnover prone” Sam is.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Jameis and Darnold are very similar. Both were highly drafted with a lot of physical tools and potential. I’ll admit Jameis has shown more at the NFL level than Darnold has. Tampa gave him some weapons at least. Going to be interesting to see if either QB can resurrect their career.

Personally I think Jameis has a good shot. The Saints are a well coached team and Payton will put him in controlled winnable situations and not force him to do everything like he did in Tampa. 

Darnold, who knows. Already showing signs of being shell shocked in the preseason and the Panthers have a bad offensive line. We might be up a creek if Darnold flops this season.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

I judge Winston like all the rest.  QB DNA.  It is what it is.  You don't change it.  You can try.  In the end QB DNA is what it is.  Winston will always make dumb plays in the end.  

The problem is he can catch fire.  And you are going to have to tough day trying to stop him if you catch him on that day. 

This is pretty much the truth. When you face him, you better he ready to put up points. He's probably going to, but he's going to give you 3-4 turnover opportunities too. If you don't capitalize on them you might be in for a bad day.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, joemac said:

Sam has 36 career INTs. 
Winston threw 30 INTs in one season.

….and everyone is up in arms as to how “turnover prone” Sam is.

Winston had a league leading 626 pass attempts and over 5000 passing yards (8th highest in history) that season.  

What do you think the INT column would have looked like for Sam if asked to shoulder a pass load like that? 

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Winston had a league leading 626 pass attempts and over 5000 passing yards (8th highest in history) that season.  

What do you think the INT column would have looked like for Sam if asked to shoulder a pass load like that? 

Not 30, that’s for damn sure. 

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Jameis and Darnold are very similar. Both were highly drafted with a lot of physical tools and potential. I’ll admit Jameis has shown more at the NFL level than Darnold has. Tampa gave him some weapons at least. Going to be interesting to see if either QB can resurrect their career.

Personally I think Jameis has a good shot. The Saints are a well coached team and Payton will put him in controlled winnable situations and not force him to do everything like he did in Tampa. 

Darnold, who knows. Already showing signs of being shell shocked in the preseason and the Panthers have a bad offensive line. We might be up a creek if Darnold flops this season.

Winston definitely has a better line, but Sam as a lot more weapons. It'll be fun to follow both "resurrections" this season. I think our offensive strategies are similar since Brady learned under Payton, so both should get the shot the need to succeed.

Also, fug the taints, GPKP!