• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can this guy really be "THE GUY" for the Aints

CarolinaLivin

I have concerns for both Sam and Jameis. 

For Jameis, he loses the script...often...resulting in bad plays at the worst times. I don't care for Sean Payton at all, but think he'll have a better influence on Jameis than anyone the Bucs had. Having said that, sometimes he's just not wrapped too tight. It's bound to pop up sooner or later.

For Sam, I just don't trust him. I don't see the fire in his belly or the overwhelming desire to win. I see a guy who can be comfortable doing what he's doing and hoping for the best. He's not an alpha and at the QB position, that's not a great thing. I'm hope I'm wrong, but am expecting to be underwhelmed.

7 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

I have concerns for both Sam and Jameis. 

For Jameis, he loses the script...often...resulting in bad plays at the worst times. I don't care for Sean Payton at all, but think he'll have a better influence on Jameis than anyone the Bucs had. Having said that, sometimes he's just not wrapped too tight. It's bound to pop up sooner or later.

For Sam, I just don't trust him. I don't see the fire in his belly or the overwhelming desire to win. I see a guy who can be comfortable doing what he's doing and hoping for the best. He's not an alpha and at the QB position, that's not a great thing. I'm hope I'm wrong, but am expecting to be underwhelmed.

Arians offense tends to lead to QB TO's. Even Tom Brady struggled with that.

That was probably the worst coach in the league you could have paired with someone like Winston.

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

You responded to someone talking specifically about interceptions and how Darnold has a reputation for being "turnover prone".  So when talking specifically about interceptions, we can easily extrapolate how many Darnold would have thrown if he had Winston's pass attempts.  You sneaking in Winston's yardage has no relevancy to that specific discussion which is why I ignored it...those are two separate discussions.  It doesn't seem like a difficult concession to say that Darnold is less turnover prone than Jameis, but for some reason it's becoming obvious that you have some aversion to even hinting at anything remotely positive about Darnold, no matter how trivial.  If you can't even simply acknowledge that Darnold is less turnover prone than the MOST turnover prone active QB in the NFL, then it's really hard to take you seriously when it comes to any rational discussions about Darnold.

Sam Darnold had the 5th highest INT% last year.  Had the 2nd highest INT% of guys who went into the year as the starter. 

In terms of INT%...he has ranked 5th, 6th, and 4th highest each year he has been in the NFL.   And if we removed backups that got thrust into lineups he climbs even higher in two of those years. 

So no, I can't acknowledge he is less turnover prone than the most turnover prone active QBs.  Because he isn't.  He literally is one of the most turnover prone QBs in the NFL.     He has been the one constant in the NFL over the last 3 years.  The rest of the company around Sam gets mixed up year to year. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Brace yourself, but Winston's career INT% is 3.4 vs Darnold's 3.2. Over their careers they've been roughly equal at throwing INTs. Winston has averaged 0.6 fumbles per game to Darnold's 0.4.

Turnover wise, they're very close. There's a huge gap in yardage and TDs though.

Well gotdamn!

Frustrated Gecko GIF

8 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Jameis has shown a lot more at the NFL level than Darnold has. I'd rather take a chance on a guy who has shown an ability to play at a high level and who needs to work on a turnover problem than a guy who basically has to learn how to play QB at the NFL level.

Has Darnold really been given a chance? Dude spent his time with one of the worst organizations in the League.

• Pie 2

11 hours ago, CRA said:

hard to really feel great about bashing other guys given where we currently sit.   The whole glass house thing. 

Sam Darnold was h

Horrible in a clean pocket last year. 

Corey Miller went on WFNZ/Bailey yesterday and said he's seen nothing to indicate Sam is an upgrade over Teddy...

...Corey's a grizzled vet, he should know.

• Flames 1

If Sam is “is not the guy”, we have to believe Rhule will start to feel the Tepper heat. That would mean two straight years of poor QB choices with no backup plan either year. Huge risk to go into this season without a plan B after what happened last year. 
It is what it is…missed opportunities. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

13 hours ago, CarolinaLivin said:

Do you think he can continue to put up huge numbers with no Mike Evans or Chris Godwin. I mean he has Michael Thomas for half a season, but other than that... its kamara town. I see big numbers for kamara, but i just dont know about winston. Maybe with the emergence of the WR calloway will help

That guy calloway is gonna end up starting. Saints still have a defense, panthers shouldn't sleep.

We'll see how much of a miracle worker Payton is.  Brees sure did make him look like a genius, but he failed his true calling of turning Taysom Hill into an NFL QB.  Jameis will probably do better in the offense, because the TB offense is built around taking shots.  Saints will keep him dinking and dunking most of the time.