• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College FB games?

4Corners

2 hours ago, Scott12345 said:

there are likely too many bowl games, but they are not failing

the duke bowl had 42k fans and was a huge success, just as an example

South Carolina has gotten that many people to show up for a spring scrimmage.  That is not a good number.  Particularly when Charlotte is just up the road.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I watched the UNC game and the playoff games. That's it. I'm another one who used to watch quite a few bowls and virtually all of the major bowls. If it's not a playoff game or a game involving your team there's just no point. These non-playoff bowls feel like exhibition games.

We can't even evaluate players for the draft like we used to, because the guys we would like to see most aren't playing.  Where I work we have a new guy in our office who went to Pitt.  I went to Michigan State.  That should have been an awesome coincidence with lots of ribbing before and after the game.  But both of us just shrugged our shoulders when it was announced because its not a "real game."  Our best players didn't even play.

Just now, Wes21 said:

South Carolina has gotten that many people to show up for a spring scrimmage.  That is not a good number.  Particularly when Charlotte is just up the road.

There were a ton of Gamecock fans in the stands here. More than UNC fans. 

UNC fans were in the middle of a work day.

• Poo 1

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

All the opt outs and empty stands say otherwise. The TV ratings probably suck too. I think we're likely watching the death rattles of the current bowl system. If they don't make money they don't make sense and I'd they can't put fans in seats or get viewers the advertising money is gonna dry up.

Empty seats aren't a huge deal, the bulk of the revenue is TV. 

It will have to turn around eventually. I think when the COVID hysteria dies down, it will get back to normal. But empty stands have been a bowl issue for years and years. 

On 1/2/2022 at 2:12 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

I watched the UNC game and the playoff games. That's it. I'm another one who used to watch quite a few bowls and virtually all of the major bowls. If it's not a playoff game or a game involving your team there's just no point. These non-playoff bowls feel like exhibition games.

This was me last year after the Gators had like 16 people sit out last years game and Oklahoma had all their starters play and they killed us. At first I was upset but then it clicked that it’s a glorified exhibition game now. 

33 minutes ago, Varking said:

This was me last year after the Gators had like 16 people sit out last years game and Oklahoma had all their starters play and they killed us. At first I was upset but then it clicked that it’s a glorified exhibition game now. 

That was UNC vs. TAMU last year. Our #1 WR, both RBs, and starting MLB sat out and they were full strength. We still held our own until late. That's why everyone thought we'd be really good this year. But no one outside of Downs stepped up at WR and I have no idea what happened to our D and OL. They fell off a cliff. Both units were one of if not the very worst in the ACC.

• Pie 1