• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deshaun Watson trade now as unlikely as ever...

SizzleBuzz

57 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Pretty sure we're "monitoring" a lot of situations.

But you forgot something else we know, or to be more correct something  David Tepper knows, specifically that he is not a talent evaluator and isn't ever going to be.

If the current guys in charge aren't up to the task, I expect we'll get new guys in charge. That'd be the sensible move.

If Tepper decides instead to follow the examples of guys like Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and Jeffrey Lurie, that'll tell me that he's not as smart as I hope he is.

No one has to be a talent evaluator to know that Deshaun Watson is a franchise QB, not even David Tepper. That part has already been established. Once a player has already established his status as a top dawg, then the emphasis comes down to other things, just saying. This isn't a case of talent evaluation.

I don't think it's a stretch for an owner to strongly suggest, if not outright twist the arm of his underlings, that he'd like a certain established veteran (particularly in free agency, which is not the case for Watson of course), particularly at QB, especially if that QB is young, talented and pretty much proven, if it works from a business perspective. That being said, I don't think that makes said owners necessarily go to the extent of Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder or Jeff Lurie, or even fundamentally believe in or desire to manifest that trio's modus operandi (even though two have championships).

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

17 minutes ago, top dawg said:

No one has to be a talent evaluator to know that Deshaun Watson is a franchise QB, not even David Tepper. That part has already been established. Once a player has already established his status as a top dawg, then the emphasis comes down to other things, just saying. This isn't a case of talent evaluation.

I don't think it's a stretch for an owner to strongly suggest, if not outright twist the arm of his underlings, that he'd like a certain established veteran (particularly in free agency, which is not the case for Watson of course), particularly at QB, especially if that QB is young, talented and pretty much proven, if it works from a business perspective. That being said, I don't think that makes said owners necessarily go to the extent of Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder or Jeff Lurie, or even fundamentally believe in or desire to manifest that trio's modus operandi (even though two have championships).

It's not as simple as "hey, this guy is good so go get him." You also have to establish what you're willing to give up to go get that guy.

If professional football guys tell a guy with zero personnel experience "this is too much to give up" and he doesn't listen, then he's not gonna have good football people working for him for very long. That's how you wind up with guys like Howie Roseman and Marty Hurney making your football decisions.

And if that's what Tepper wants, he can have it.

It would just mean that he's stupid.

Edited by Mr. Scot

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not as simple as "hey, this guy is good so go get him." You also have to establish what you're willing to give up to go get that guy.

If professional football guys tell a guy with zero personnel experience "this is too much to give up" and he doesn't listen, then he's not gonna have good football people working for him for very long. That's how you wind up with guys like Howie Roseman and Marty Hurney making your football decisions.

And if that's what Tepper wants, he can have it.

It would just mean that he's stupid.

That's not what's happening in the case of Desean Watson. We all know it. It's also why I said there are other considerations.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That's not what's happening in the case of Desean Watson. We all know it. It's also why I said there are other considerations.

No. What's happening with Watson is we're not interested because we've settled on Sam Darnold as the guy for now and probably at least next season.

Beyond that, we'll see.

But lemme ask you this: If your doctor suddenly decided that since they're smart enough to be a doctor they should also be able to fly a 747 (no lessons or experience needed because hey, they're a doctor and doctors are smart) would you buy a ticket on their maiden flight?

Tepper making football decisions because, you know, he's good at business and all makes just about as much sense. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I get that there are people who still desperately want to subscribe to this idea that David Tepper is some backstage power broker who's prepared to move heaven and earth to get Watson or some other franchise QB. And I'll grant that it's probably more fun to imagine that than the notion that he's just a regular owner who's prepared to simply trust his football people to do their jobs.

Unfortunately, all the actual evidence says it's wishful thinking.

Mind you, there's plenty of evidence in the opposite direction, not the least of which is Justin Fields' current address.

But hey, if you wanna keep picturing some fantasy blockbuster deal or whatever, you can do that.

You should likely be prepared for disappointment though.

"Jerry Jones sucks!! We want Tepper to do the same!!"

Just now, cookinbrak said:

"Jerry Jones sucks!! We want Tepper to do the same!!"

Nobody wants the owner to interfere...unless it's to get the guy they want.

I can honestly say though that even if I knew David Tepper agreed with every idea I had, I'd still prefer he stay out of personnel decisions.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

No. What's happening with Watson is we're not interested because we've settled on Sam Darnold as the guy for now and probably at least next season.

Beyond that, we'll see.

But lemme ask you this: If your doctor suddenly decided that since they're smart enough to be a doctor they should also be able to fly a 747 (no lessons or experience needed because hey, they're a doctor and doctors are smart) would you buy a ticket on their maiden flight?

Tepper making football decisions because, you know, he's good at business and all makes just about as much sense. 

Again, Scot, that's not really what's going on here.

But, yes Darnold is today's project, but his status is about as settled as his "happy feet" under pressure. He may become settled--the answer to all our problems--but that remains to be seen. And as things aren't settled, we're still interested in Watson (whether you want to admit it or not). Darnold's play, or Watson's legal status, can erase that interest for sure. Even a Rattler, Ridder, or a Howell can erase that interest for sure (business doesn't wait on Watson), if it comes to that, but let's not pretend that there's no interest.

Edited by top dawg

13 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Again, Scot, that's not really what's going on here.

But, yes Darnold is today's project, but his status is about as settled as his "happy feet" under pressure. He may become settled--the answer to all our problems--but that remains to be seen. And as things aren't settled, we're still interested in Watson (whether you want to admit it or not). Darnold's play, or Watson's legal status, can erase that interest for sure. Even a Rattler, Ridder, or a Howell can erase that interest for sure (business doesn't wait on Watson), if it comes to that, but let's not pretend that there's no interest.

Except that, you know, they said there's not. And even Verge affirmed that as a true statement.

You can suggest that maybe they could be down the road, but everything right now says they're not.

43 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Except that, you know, they said there's not. And even Verge affirmed that as a true statement.

You can suggest that maybe they could be down the road, but everything right now says they're not.

We are not interested RIGHT NOW. I really doubt we are out of the race should Sam Darnold fail. Just a matter of timelines really. Front office confidence in Darnold is very high, but we all know that can change in a matter of weeks.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

54 minutes ago, Verge said:

We are not interested RIGHT NOW. I really doubt we are out of the race should Sam Darnold fail. Just a matter of timelines really. Front office confidence in Darnold is very high, but we all know that can change in a matter of weeks.

Which is consistent with what I've said.

It's not just a matter of what happens with Darnold though. There's still the matter of Watson's legal issues.

That's why I think if Darnold does fail, our next QB will come from the Draft.

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Which is consistent with what I've said.

It's not just a matter of what happens with Darnold though. There's still the matter of Watson's legal issues.

That's why I think if Darnold does fail, our next QB will come from the Draft.

Just because we don't have immediate interest doesn't mean that we won't have long term interest. That's all some of us are saying.

You won't see me crying if we land Rattler or Ridder (for example). Truth be told, I'd prefer it to Watson, and that's even knowing that they aren't guaranteed stars.

For me personally, Sam better blow my socks off, or I won't be satisfied with NOT drafting a top prospect.

1 hour ago, Verge said:

What odds are you placing that Darnold is the "guy"? Personal odds, not panther or outside noise.