• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

State of the NFL

run-run-pass-punt

17 minutes ago, Scott12345 said:

OL play hasnt gone down as much as DL play has gone up

you now have 300 lb DL running 4.3

level of athletism is just off the charts

I agree that defensive linemen are more athletic than before, but that was also true back in the days of guys like Reggie White and Bruce Smith.

The quality of blocking all across the league has taken a real downturn in at least the last decade or so.

Edited by Mr. Scot

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Was talking with LG about that too.

Even there though, the reality is that while there are plenty of reasonably mobile quarterbacks, there are precious few true "dual threat" quarterbacks.

Honestly, outside of Lamar Jackson, who in the league right now would a defensive coordinator have to account for as a possible dangerous run threat?

Kyler Murray

Josh Allen

Russell Wilson

Jalen Hurts 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I agree that defensive linemen are more athletic than before, but that was also true back in the days of guys like Reggie White and Bruce Smith.

The quality of blocking all across the league has taken a real downturn in at least the last decade or so.

Honestly, I think this will be a big focus of the next set of rule tweaks. OL play is down. Partly because all the jumbo athletes want to play defense and partly because today's spread offenses put more pressure on the OL and expose them a lot more to working in space.

QBs are the highest paid position in the NFL by a pretty wide margin. Owners hate seeing their QBs take hits and fans hate to see their QBs get hurt. I think we'll see holding on the OL either get deemphasized or get the letter of the rule outright changed to give the OL an advantage.

Just a hunch.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Kyler Murray

Josh Allen

Russell Wilson

Jalen Hurts 

Murray is a great point.  Didn't he have double digit rushing TDs last year too?

I mean hell, Daniel Jones and Watson each had >400 yards on the ground and rushing TDs.  You better believe D coordinators are accounting for that mobility, even if it isn't the same as Murray and Jackson.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think we'll see holding on the OL either get deemphasized or get the letter of the rule outright changed to give the OL an advantage.

You sure it hasn't been already?

I saw an awful lot of holding go uncalled last night. At times, it was like watching Jon Runyan play every position on the line.

49 minutes ago, hepcat said:

There are other reasons I'm losing interest in the NFL than just strictly how much passing teams are doing now.

1) The games take way too long and the commercial breaks seem to get longer and louder. Actual NFL gameplay is only like 11 minutes total. Compared to MLS which I am getting more and more into, it's a crazy difference. MLS games have commercials only at halftime and it's constant action for 90+ minutes.

Yeah, I don't want to make this a thread about "what sport is better" as that is very subjective of course, but soccer and baseball are my favorite sports. When there is less of something, there is generally a higher value associated with it. For me, soccer maintains constant tension, and I just really love the game. I understand why some find it boring, but not to me.

49 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

There is a certain degree of tension that is lost when you just kind of expect that the offense is going to move down the field and score on most possessions. This isn’t every game or every offense, obviously, but it’s enough.

Yes, it often feels like a foregone conclusion. The ball is going to be moved, and with relative ease most of the time. It just saps any tension, as you said.

1 hour ago, AviationMX said:

Same could said about MLB, players are paid for the long ball. Averages are secondary and few teams play station to station anymore.  The NHL has less fights, but I'm OK with that.

To the OP's point-Maybe the passing game is why Horn was picked as opposed to another player.😉

Don't get  me started on baseball, lol. I miss the small ball of the 80's (and other eras) so much. At least we had the 2015 Royals who were an anomaly - winning the title with small ball when everyone else was crushing the long ball or striking out, and it's only getting worse. What a great team and series that was - even the year prior against the Giants.

Lots of interesting opinions in the thread. Appreciate the replies.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't put any of those guys in the Cam Newton tier of run threats.

Allen is probably the closest.

I missed the part where they had to be specifically like Cam. I responded to what would a DC have to account for. The actual question YOU asked. 

You think OC don’t account for their “mobility” on every play? There are others on way. Lawrence, Fields, and Lance. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Would you spy him though?

That to me is the threshold for determining a true dual threat QB.

The problem with a spy against some of those guys is that they are too fast for them lol.  Teams have used spies vs Murray though.  He is widely regarded as a dual threat.