• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An early look at 2022 QB class...

methodtoll

This is a draft where people will bash it but 2-3 starters are in it. Just don’t know who yet.

I wish Carson Strong didn’t have the knee history because I think he checks just about every box. Buuut Teams will be wary of his injuries.

Pickett is rocketing, looks good and I think Howell could be worth the shot. That UNC team is asking him to do everything. It’s not a season where you can judge off the stat sheet with him. Which is still not bad by any means. He still makes TDs and big time throws under a ton of pressure this season. (This is me being a non ACC guy/Pac12er)

Ridder, Raddler, Slovis are the 3 I’m just unsure about.

I won’t pretend I can judge the comp level to talent with Willis but he sure is interesting.

• Pie 2

I'm on the Sam Howell train now. Yes the offensive line needs help but rookie lineman don't instantly improve that and they need multiple new guys there. The salary cap is gonna be large and the Panthers have a ton of cap room going forward to fix that problem. At least on the IOL. 

Sam Howell is in-state, can make all the throws, and is mobile. Also, the best QBs in the NFL now all had question marks (Herbert, Mahomes, Allen, Lamar) or are short (Kyler, Russell) or fell in the draft bc it was a "weak class" and another guy got picked first (Aaron Rodgers). 

Sam Howell is the guy if they don't trade for Watson, I don't care how good Tyler Linderbaum is he's still a Center. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/offensive-line//

Brandon Scherff and Ryan Jensen, who plays for a division rival, are both free agents next year, I'd rather sign them both and cut 75 and 60 then draft a rookie QB on a rookie contract to maximize your roster and cap space than trade for Watson or draft a frigging CENTER in the first round

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

But, but, but I've been told by astute Huddles that Howell is unathletic. 😂

I don’t get the hate on Howell. He is a local kid that would have been the top pick if he left last year. He has a great deep ball (something we have been missing since healthy Cam) and can scramble ( which we need with our line). If he falls to us I don’t see why we would pass unless we do something stupid like trade for Watson… which would mean we wouldn’t have a 1st anyway.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I don’t get the hate on Howell. He is a local kid that would have been the top pick if he left last year. He has a great deep ball (something we have been missing since healthy Cam) and can scramble ( which we need with our line). If he falls to us I don’t see why we would pass unless we do something stupid like trade for Watson… which would mean we wouldn’t have a 1st anyway.

A lot of fans can't look past alma mater.I love seeing us draft Heels when the need and value align (I'm a Panthers fab because of Julius Peppers) but at the end of the day I want us to get the best players regardless of where they went to college. Howell is a baller.

Speaking for the non-UNC fanboy contingent, Howell is a good NFL draft prospect but he isn't a guy I would be thrilled about getting in the first round of the NFL draft. If it was the 2nd or 3rd round, absolutely. But that is sort of the way I feel about every QB in this draft at the moment. 

This is just a really, really weak QB draft, Howell being a prime example. In a stronger class, he is probably a lower 1st round to 2nd round guy. That's also why I really don't want any part of the QB's in this class as a whole. If you look at the past 15 years and especially the weak classes more often than not the entire first round class ends up being busts or backups. That is literally the way I feel about this class.

Howell specifically, my biggest concerns are his throwing mechanics and playing in the offense he does. I view him as a project guy and not a day one starter. Well....that doesn't fit what we need at the moment. We need a day one starter. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Speaking for the non-UNC fanboy contingent, Howell is a good NFL draft prospect but he isn't a guy I would be thrilled about getting in the first round of the NFL draft. If it was the 2nd or 3rd round, absolutely. But that is sort of the way I feel about every QB in this draft at the moment. 

This is just a really, really weak QB draft, Howell being a prime example. In a stronger class, he is probably a lower 1st round to 2nd round guy. That's also why I really don't want any part of the QB's in this class as a whole. If you look at the past 15 years and especially the weak classes more often than not the entire first round class ends up being busts or backups. That is literally the way I feel about this class.

Howell specifically, my biggest concerns are his throwing mechanics and playing in the offense he does. I view him as a project guy and not a day one starter. Well....that doesn't fit what we need at the moment. We need a day one starter. 

Where would howell be ranked in regards to this last qb class?  Maybe ahead of Jones.  Maybe

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Where would howell be ranked in regards to this last qb class?  Maybe ahead of Jones.  Maybe

I probably would have had him ahead of Jones but I also didn't like Jones as a prospect and would never have taken him in the 1st. He was a 2nd rounder to me.

The early returns say that was wrong. But, Jones has far more polish than Howell. I tend to think Howell's talent level is higher. Both have average arms and really pretty deep balls.

1 minute ago, kungfoodude said:

I probably would have had him ahead of Jones but I also didn't like Jones as a prospect and would never have taken him in the 1st. He was a 2nd rounder to me.

The early returns say that was wrong. But, Jones has far more polish than Howell. I tend to think Howell's talent level is higher. Both have average arms and really pretty deep balls.

If, we go qb in the first, which I pray we dont, but I think Willis would be far more entertaining as a player than Howell.  But this class looks really really bad as we sit here today 10/26.   Looks like a great line class however.  So we will probably draft that safety out of ND.

I’m not sure this class is as bad as people think. Outside of Trevor last year, you had a bunch of close to one year starters with a lot of arm strength (excluding Mac) but a lot of question marks. 

This year we have a lot of multi year experienced starters that by January people will start to give the proper attention. If Strong checks out injury wise I’d put him behind only Trevor in last years draft, you also got Howell, Corral etc.