• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An early look at 2022 QB class...

methodtoll

18 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

We have to replace 4 out of 5.   And for all of the good examples you gave the bad is infinitely more.  

That’s the story for every FA and draft pick (especially 1st round OL, it’s become as risky as QBs). Most franchise QBs were drafted by their team. Several of the top lines have high tier FAs on them. You have to find your QB to compete. We probably won’t be able to replace all 4 linemen, but replacing 2 out of 4 with a top tier FA is a good way to start. Late draft picks can come in and compete with BC, Brown, and whoever else we gave on our roster. Just getting our line from bottom of the league to middle will do wonders.

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

There will be FA options, you just have to pay for them. I’d rather spend money on that than another $15 million Sam or $20 million Teddy journeyman QB. Go pick up Cam Robinson, Scherff, Armstead, Teller, or Connor Williams. Work in BC and Brown. Herbert and Burris (injury aside) played with terrible lines their first year. You have to have a QB period. Give Darnold a better line and he will just hold the ball longer and continue to make terrible decisions. Having to watch him again next year will be a tough sell for the fans.

Biggest thing right here. Fans already don't come to the games, you tell them darnolds coming back and its gonna be way worse. They gotta do something to spark interest crazy as it sounds but they dont really have much options in first round outside of OL and QB. They cant even think about going defense again in my opinion.

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I haven't completely given up on Christensen and Brown yet. Few rookie OL are impact players.

We should be playing them though. I can't be convinced they'd be playing any worse than the vets we keep trotting out there and maybe they can improve with experience.

We don't have to worry about protecting darnold anymore. 

Play the guys. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Honestly, I haven’t heard much about him. Is he projected to enter the draft?

I think he is a senior. Honestly, he has been quiet for the most part. He had like 11 TDs to 5INTS before these two big games against Syracuse (209 pass yds 4td 0 int) & Duke (303 pass yds 5 td 224 rush yds 2 rush td). 

He was ranked maybe 9th prior to the duke game. Maybe some big games boost him. But not likely high. Would be a project QB, But with time I like the kid as a day 3 pick. I think he could learn a lot behind a Cam Newton if we end up keeping him longer (i think we will)

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

I think he is a senior. Honestly, he has been quiet for the most part. He had like 11 TDs to 5INTS before these two big games against Syracuse (209 pass yds 4td 0 int) & Duke (303 pass yds 5 td 224 rush yds 2 rush td). 

He was ranked maybe 9th prior to the duke game. Maybe some big games boost him. But not likely high. Would be a project QB, But with time I like the kid as a day 3 pick. I think he could learn a lot behind a Cam Newton if we end up keeping him longer (i think we will)

Yeah that kind of what I was thinking. A project QB with a lot of ability that can learn under Cam for a few years if Cam holds up this year. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Yeah that kind of what I was thinking. A project QB with a lot of ability that can learn under Cam for a few years if Cam holds up this year. 

Prioritize OL, but if a QB we like drops into say 3rd or 4th round, maybe we take him. I wouldn't mind, but I also wouldn't mind waiting to throw a pick at that 2023 draft class.

Side Note: I have it set in my mind that we're trading back with our 1st pick in the draft. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 11:50 AM, ForJimmy said:

Honestly, I haven’t heard much about him. Is he projected to enter the draft?

He isn't entering the draft:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/hes-back-louisville-quarterback-malik-163653428.html

For context he has been at Louisville since 2017 where he Red Shirt. In 2018 he barely played and threw 1 TD and 1 INT. In 2019 he was 22:5, 2020 he was 20:12, 2021 he is 18:6 throwing the ball in terms of TD to INT. He is coming back to college for his 6th year at Louisville. If drafted to the NFL next season he was be a 25 year old rookie QB. We have Sam and PJ as our QBs next year so far and I think both of them have no contract after that. As it stands now, he would be the only QB on our roster in 2023 so he would have to be the projected starter. 

If we signed another guy to let him develop under how long does that last? Three years in development puts him at 28 years old cracking the starting lineup for the first time. That's a long time to wait for a guy and would be the end of Rhules contract. 

I can't believe this thread is still going on considering we only have 1 pick on the first two days, in a weak QB class and an OL that smells of rotten garbage. 

Sure, let's keep talking about drafting a rookie QB!  I get the Howell homers getting the fuzzies about the thought of drafting him, but it's not going to happen.

Also, ZERO comp picks this draft as well.   The Panthers drafting a rookie QB this year is along the logic of a house burning down and the homeowner starts mowing the grass to keep up the curb appeal. The devastation is so blatantly obvious, but doing this one thing might put a little shine on that turd,

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I can't believe this thread is still going on considering we only have 1 pick on the first two days, in a weak QB class and an OL that smells of rotten garbage. 

Sure, let's keep talking about drafting a rookie QB!  I get the Howell homers getting the fuzzies about the thought of drafting him, but it's not going to happen.

It's a draft forum... We are talking potential draft prospects... QB is a need... So yeah

4 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Chargers had no line and drafted Herbert, Bengals did the same with Burrow, and the Cardinals did the same with Murray. You need a QB to compete in this league, once you have that you can build around them. Going into next year with Darnold plus a rookie OG and this line won’t change this franchise as much as a potential QB can. It should have been addressed as soon as we parted ways with Cam or the following year, but we can’t keep trying random stop gap vets and assuming we will be fine. I get that we need to fix the line, but we are missing the most important position in sports and have only one early pick to try to correct it.