• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deonte Brown inactivate for today.

ncfan

21 minutes ago, mc52beast said:

This seems to be the Panthers philosophy on the o-line no matter who’s coaching;

start the vets who we know are going to suck and let them suck until we have no choice but to start the young guys who are obviously better.

Yep.  How many games did Amini Silatolu start for us again?

2 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

So what you're saying is, in positions where the rookie is obviously better than the veteran incumbent, the rookie is starting?

Gotcha. 

Close. 

What I'm saying is, in situations where the veteran incumbant is obviously inept and offers little to no reason based on age and past performance to believe he will improve, I'm willing to accept rookie mistakes in exchange for more upside and faster development that will pay dividends down the road.

If the vet incumbant is at least solid, then playing a vet is defensible imo. Nothing about our current Oline aside from Moton falls into that category.

37 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Because he doesn't throw every rookie ever into the lineup?

Horn is going to start, Marshall is (essentially) going to start. Tremble is going to see major minutes. Hubbard is apparently returning Kicks and first man off the bench at RB. Taylor and Nixon will rotate in on defence.

How much more do you want?

To me it’s not so much who is starting but if after several games you’re in a ‘the next guy can’t possibly be any worse (Whitehead)’ situation, it’s time to move on and try something new. There should never be this feeling a coaches favorite/vet has the job no matter what.

Edited by onmyown

Just now, kungfoodude said:

Yes but some things are just plain obvious. That's kind of one of them.

It is what it is. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Things you see in preseason are never as obvious as you think they are.

Heck, Cam Erving actually looked half decent in preseason action. Does that mean we were wrong about him or was it just an illusion?

Like I said, we don't know.

We'll at least know something later today, but we won't know everything.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Things you see in preseason are never as obvious as you think they are.

Heck, Cam Erving actually looked half decent in preseason action. Does that mean we were wrong about him or was it just an illusion?

Like I said, we don't know.

We'll at least know something later today, but we won't know everything.

Yeah but I was talking about the depth of the team.

1 hour ago, frankw said:

Look I like Rhule and believe in many of the things he is doing here but i swear it seems like the ghost of coach Rivera is still lurking around the team building with these oline decisions.

It is interesting, I will say that.  He seems to love going with youth and doesnt really factor inexperience anywhere but the online.  Everywhere else he has seemed to prefer young guys so far.