• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joe Brady is a concern.

Snake

15 minutes ago, BrianS said:

The numbers aren't terribly concerning to me.  21 carries is ok for him.  9 catches, not too bad.  Those won't get him crushed, hopefully.

What worries me is that no one else ran the ball.  If that trend continues, we have a big problem.  Teams will realize that when CMC is out of the game, we're throwing.

Chuba needs to get 5-7 carries a game and 3-5 passes a game so he establishes himself as a true threat.  If the dude gets his ball security under control, he could be a fantastic player, and we need to use him so the offense truly doesn't change when CMC is getting a rest.

Well you'll have to look at the number of touches to form a full picture and consider that for another 16 games it obviously isn't feasible if they want him available late in the year. We have a first round WR in DJ Moore a WR we just inked to a 37 million dollar contract in Anderson and a WR we just drafted in Terrace Marshall on top of new additions to the backfield like Chuba Hubbard yet McCaffrey was by far the leader across the board in our offensive output. Despite all that we only netted two touchdowns and zero were in the second half. For game one I wouldn't say I am very concerned but we need to be getting these younger guys involved in the gameplan so they can gain continuity with Sam Darnold.

18 hours ago, TheoJay10 said:

I totally agree. I need to understand why this was a game plan on offense today. Do they really think Darnold needs to be babied until his confidence comes back. 

No, he needs to be babied to look competent. They know that he can't be relied on to operate with full playbook.

I have questions about Brady's play calling, but I'm not placing all the blame on him. At some point you need to look at the lack of execution with the called play.

He schemed Ian Thomas open for a TD and Darnold threw a bad ball. Should have been an easy TD. Unfortunately that led to the fumble that ended the drive. 

The throw to Marshall in the endzone was just off the mark. A better throw and I think that's an easy TD as well.

If those two throws are placed better, I don't think we are having these conversations about Brady this morning.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

I've been saying this is the "prove it" year for Rhule, Brady and Snow. That was the first game.

They got the win and for now, that's what we have. Nothing has been decided, not enough evidence either way at this point. 

I don't think so. Its year two in a at least 5 year process. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, Snake said:

I don't think so. Its year two in a at least 5 year process. 

Everyone keeps saying that now, except me. If we post another five win season, they won't survive. If we don't make the playoffs, mark my words, at least one of the coordinators will be sacrificed.

Let's not dwell on it and just enjoy the win. Next week will be tougher and more important. This week, we had to kill some ghosts for our young QB. Mission accomplished on that.

• Pie 1

23 hours ago, ickmule said:

I’ve been saying it for over a year , he is extremely overrated. If he gets an HC job, good, let him go.  

I was sooooo disappointed last winter that no one hired him to be their headcoach. The guy is somehow still living off that one season at LSU, certainly not off anything he's done with the Panthers. He needs to go.

5 hours ago, NYPantherFan said:

I have questions about Brady's play calling, but I'm not placing all the blame on him. At some point you need to look at the lack of execution with the called play.

He schemed Ian Thomas open for a TD and Darnold threw a bad ball. Should have been an easy TD. Unfortunately that led to the fumble that ended the drive. 

The throw to Marshall in the endzone was just off the mark. A better throw and I think that's an easy TD as well.

If those two throws are placed better, I don't think we are having these conversations about Brady this morning.

Rhule also seems to be finally acknowledging that big fumble on the exchange was on Sam too.   

We certainly could have played much better offensively, but I think it is too soon to be expressing concern about him.  It is Week 1, after all.  I agree he still has things to improve upon but I'm not ready to discount what he did last year with this offense, which I found to be extremely impressive.  I trust him to do as he did last year and that is mask a bad offensive line in pass protection and get everyone involved. Yes, McCaffrey took on a huge load last game, but the Jets weren't exactly forcing them away from him.  I feel certain that Anderson, Moore, Marshall, and the TEs will be more involved going forward.

Maybe I'm just being too much of an optimist, I just think we should give it a few more weeks before we get concerned.  It isn't like we're the only offense that didn't play up to their potential this weekend.  

Do we think its possible that Sam hasnt had too many live reps and this game was a test run to see what we have before we let him loose against the Saints?

The way I see it was we are playing against a inexperienced QB and a team who we should beat with our defense. If we have Sam just manage and not do too much the game is winnable and we can open him up more next week.

Edited by ncsfinest21

4 minutes ago, ncsfinest21 said:

Do we think its possible that Sam hasnt had too many live reps and this game was a test run to see what we have before we let him loose against the Saints?

The way I see it was we are playing against a inexperienced QB and a team who we should beat with our defense. If we have Sam just manage and not do too much the game is winnable and we can open him up more next week.

I think it's more of just keeping him on a leash until their comfortable with him going "off script" so to speak.  The first step is to calm him and his feet down so he can think clearly.   Keep it simple for now.

• Pie 1

Just now, Jon Snow said:

I think it's more of just keeping him on a leash until their comfortable with him going "off script" so to speak.  The first step is to calm him and his feet down so he can think clearly.   Keep it simple for now.

Thats what Im thinking. But he will have to play call better against the Saints and Sam will have to show more.