• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Thoughts After Game 1

mav1234

13 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

rare?

Anderson was wide open, and had to slow up.

If it would have been tight coverage it probably would have been an incompletion.

A rare throw is when your WR is covered but the QB puts it in the one little spot where the WR can catch it.

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice completion, but not what I would consider a big time throw.

It definitely wasn't a "rare" throw. I don't have a problem with it though. He made the safe throw. Anderson was wide open. Slowing him down a little was the safe throw. Trying to hit him in stride and you risk overthrowing for no benefit.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This. Darnold missed the throw to Darnold and he missed the throw to Marshall on the out route in the endzone. He should've had three TD passes.

and that is my point, those are the types of throws that good QBs make more often than bad QBs. 

No QB makes them all of the time and no QB in the league misses them all of the time.  The good QBs do it a higher percentage of the time than the bad QBs do.  Its only one game so not fair to say which side he is on yet, but by the end of the season that is what we have to look at.

Throwing a bunch of each check downs to CMC doesn't mean you are a good QB.

Just quickly looking at game logs.

11 third downs where we attempted a pass.

6/11 completion percentage but only 3/11 on conversions.  Several throws short of the sticks.  Are we looking for a QB that we can win with if everything else goes good or a QB that can carry a team?

Teddy could have done what was done today.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep.

I even saw the players/coaches talking to Thomas on the sidelines immediately afterwards (granted there was no sound). I assumed they were wanting to keep his confidence up after the drop, but it could have been telling him good job/effort getting open.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

I even saw the players/coaches talking to Thomas on the sidelines immediately afterwards (granted there was no sound). I assumed they were wanting to keep his confidence up after the drop, but it could have been telling him good job/effort getting open.

I think you're the only person trying to paint that as a "drop". Sorry man. It was an awful throw and Thomas failed to come up with a complete circus catch on it.

1 minute ago, AU-panther said:

and that is my point, those are the types of throws that good QBs make more often than bad QBs. 

No QB makes them all of the time and no QB in the league misses them all of the time.  The good QBs do it a higher percentage of the time than the bad QBs do.  Its only one game so not fair to say which side he is on yet, but by the end of the season that is what we have to look at.

Throwing a bunch of each check downs to CMC doesn't mean you are a good QB.

Just quickly looking at game logs.

11 third downs where we attempted a pass.

6/11 completion percentage but only 3/11 on conversions.  Several throws short of the sticks.  Are we looking for a QB that we can win with if everything else goes good or a QB that can carry a team?

Teddy could have done what was done today.

I don’t think Teddy hits Anderson deep enough for him to run it in. That’s a stop your route and catch the underthrown ball while getting tackled throw by Teddy all day….

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It definitely wasn't a "rare" throw. I don't have a problem with it though. He made the safe throw. Anderson was wide open. Slowing him down a little was the safe throw. Trying to hit him in stride and you risk overthrowing for no benefit.

I mean it was a 45 yard off platform throw, but ok. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, jopie87 said:

Sam has a shot at being the second or third best QB in franchise history. I was more confident going into today with him versus any point with Teddy last year. Saw nothing today to change my mind on that.

Lol 2nd or 3rd? I hope he's way better than that considering the best we ever had was average at best. A couple of them had a great year but we've never had a great QB. It would be nice if Darnold could consistently be a good one for 10 years or more. He's be our first in franchise history.

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Poo 3