• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Thoughts After Game 1

mav1234

4 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Okay..I went back and looked at the throw to Robby...

How the FUG does ANYONE HERE believe that ball was Underthrown? 🤦‍♂️

Are you f'n kidding me with that sh-tty take??

That ball was on-target with Robby having 2 steps ahead of both Jets defenders!!

WTF, man?

Robby slowed down, it was pretty obvious.

Robby was wide open, so there is a chance Sam decided to err on the side of caution. 
Nobody is saying it was a bad play, I just think there are a fair number of QBs in the league that can make that same play.

For the heck of it let’s say it was a “rare” play, what about the other 11 passes over 10 yards? How many other QBs would only complete 4 of them?  How rare is that? You have to evaluate a QB on the totality of their work.

58 minutes ago, Floppin said:

I feel like our offensive play calling left a decent amount to be desired. We did a reasonably good job scheming around our interior line deficiencies but when we decided to go conservative (which I HATE, just fuging keep the pedal to the metal) we didn't call plays appropriately and we just stalled completely. 

Most of these coaches were just coaching college ball a couple years ago. They shouldn't have forgotten that you don't let up and go conservative, especially with less than a 14 point lead. The second half gameplan was a head scratcher.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

It was a great throw. Robby did have to slow down his stride which is no big deal. People claiming it was underthrown are probably referencing Robby slowing down. If he didn’t have his guy beat so bad that slowing down could have prevented a TD. However Darnold was under pressure and got the ball where it needed to be which led to a TD. Looks like a great throw to me.

Which is a dumb take.

Like you pointed out, Robby made it look like it was underthrown because he beat them so bad and was ahead of them so damn much.

Hope the Playbook opens more next week against the Saints.

Winston had himself a GAME...Jesus Christ.

54 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

We’re a LT and LG away from being a legit team. 

If you watch the teams with good OL’s play today they’re moving the ball because of their line. Brady is stuck trying to get cute a lot of times when he shouldn’t have to. Brady doesn’t do himself any favors sometimes as well but we need an OL.

Sam played pretty damn well today. Missed a couple end zone throws but that was about it. Hung in there and made some tough throws while knowing he was going to get hit. 

Sam can be ‘the guy’ but like any QB, he needs proper protection.

C is the biggest problem on the Oline.

3 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Robby was wide open, so there is a chance Sam decided to err on the side of caution. 
Nobody is saying it was a bad play, I just think there are a fair number of QBs in the league that can make that same play.

For the heck of it let’s say it was a “rare” play, what about the other 11 passes over 10 yards? How many other QBs would only complete 4 of them?  How rare is that? You have to evaluate a QB on the totality of their work.

No it wasn't "pretty obvious".

He was ahead of both Defenders so much that he had to slow down because HE WAS OUTRUNNING the Pass, not because Sam underthrew the ball!!  😡

You're making it sound like Sam threw a Duck into the wind up in the air or something...

Edited by glenwo2

2 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

Which is a dumb take.

Like you pointed out, Robby made it look like it was underthrown because he beat them so bad and was ahead of them so damn much.

Hope the Playbook opens more next week against the Saints.

Winston had himself a GAME...Jesus Christ.

To be fair, he did have to slow down like a half a step. It's not to the degree that some are trying to make it out to be. It's not like he had to stop completely or come back to the ball. He was still able to keep moving in stride with only a slight hitch in speed.

Edited by Floppin
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, mav1234 said:

it is very clear once the field is condensed in the red zone, we can't find the space we need to get our skill players the ball.  Whomever is at fault for that, it needs to change, or we'll be having some rough Sundays.

Seriously.  I honestly wonder if we should be aggressive and take some deep shots on 1st & 10 if we're in the 30s or something... Try to avoid the condensed field problem entirely!  I know that's high risk football, but I can dream, can't I?!

1 minute ago, Floppin said:

To be fair, he did have to slow down like a half a step. It's not to the degree that some are trying to make it out to be. It's not like he had to stop completely or come back to the ball. He was still able to keep moving in stride with only a slight hitch in speed.

Floppin, ever consider that Robby was so fast that he outran Sam's pass a bit and had to slow up?

Hell...he had both defenders beat by almost 2 yards....

I do not call that an underthrown ball by ANY STRETCH.

Those calling it underthrown are just looking for sh-t to complain about with Sam because we did not draft Justin Fields (and they're still whining about that even now).

Edited by glenwo2

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

And Sam threw the pass off balance, so what?

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'd rather keep Tremble at TE and get a legitimate fullback.

Still don't know why we let Armah go, and / or didn't bring him back after he was cut by Saints.  Yeah, I know, with him as FB we had redzone issues, but still think he's better than Ricci.  If we're going to use a FB, I want a FB,

Just now, glenwo2 said:

Floppin, ever consider that Robby was so fast that he outran Sam's pass a bit and had to slow up?

Hell...he had both defenders beat by almost 2 yards....

That's not how passes work though. Sam's job is to hit the receivers in stride based on their running speed within the route. So technically  he underthrew Robbie slightly, but on a long pass a slight underthrow becomes much more obvious because of the flight time of the ball.