• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Thoughts After Game 1

mav1234

22 hours ago, CPsinceDay1 said:

To be fair, Wilson did look better than Darnold...I dislike both... Darnold won, Wilson played better.

Switch QBs, same outcome different score, that was very evident. Wilson first game in the NFL >Darnold 1st game with the Panthers after 3years in the NFL...

The Jets slept on our Defense 🤣...

Against Darnold this defense would've had 2 pick 6s....

Wilson took 6 sacks, threw 1 INT (nearly 2) and nearly lost a fumble.

How did he look better than Darnold again?

• Beer 2

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

If you watched that game and didn't come away thinking that Wilson was definitely the more talented QB but in a far worse overall team situation, then I don't know what to tell ya.

I thought Darnold played decently well. He didn't panic. That was the big thing. He missed some easy passes that would've resulted in TDs but that's something that can be worked on.

But those elite traits Wilson showed at the college level? Yeah, they translated. He basically looks like a more slippery in the pocket bigger armed Joe Burrow.

Put Wilson on the Panthers and Darnold on the Jets and that scoreboard is very lopsided.

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

His 2nd half was gutsy and really good. He also HAD to take chances because of the situation his team was in.  Honestly the two looked pretty similar in terms of sitting in and taking hits, delivering the ball to open receivers, and largely avoiding mistakes..

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Put Wilson on the Panthers and Darnold on the Jets and that scoreboard is very lopsided.

I don't know about this. Darnold did have 2 or 3 misses, but Wilson had some as well, and withered under pressure in the 1st half when Darnold didn't.

And I don't know that you'd see Wilson put up the performance he did when he's leading and the coaches dial things back like that.

In a different situation, Wilson might he better. Darnold, if he had started in a different situation, would be better too.  Both were quality and exciting prospects so I think it's hard to be sure which would be more talented.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Panthera onca said:

Wilson is good/great but I certainly didn't come away thinking he was more talented than Darnold. 

You didn't see more arm talent? Better movement ability in the pocket?

Darnold has a good arm, don't get me wrong and he can run a little bit. But Wilson has that short area shiftiness and that flick of the wrist send it 30 yards on a rope ability that is very rare, even among elite NFL QB talent.

Just now, OldhamA said:

He has a livelier arm, he has a worse body though.

He's going to be broken taking those hits in the NFL week in, week out. 

We'll see. It's possible. He comes into the NFL with very similar height/weight numbers to Tom Brady though and Brady sure didn't have an issue with longevity. The Jets are definitely gonna have to protect him better than they did last Sunday though. That's for sure. Brett Favre would've had trouble making it through a season of 17 of those.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We'll see. It's possible. He comes into the NFL with very similar height/weight numbers to Tom Brady though and Brady sure didn't have an issue with longevity. The Jets are definitely gonna have to protect him better than they did last Sunday though. That's for sure. Brett Favre would've had trouble making it through a season of 17 of those.

Brady doesn't get hit - he reads the defence and gets it out quickly.

Wilson plays backyard ball. He's going to get crushed eventually - I'm amazed he got up from that Brown sack. 

• Flames 1