• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold Thoughts After Game 1

mav1234

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree he looks smaller than he measured but the tape and scale don't lie.

He looks like a high school kid.

That says nothing about his ability, But it probably did bring memories of Jimmy Clausen to the minds of some fans here.

(some were making that comparison pre-draft; always felt like it was unfounded)

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

He looks like a high school kid.

That says nothing about his ability, But it probably did bring memories of Jimmy Clausen to the minds of some fans here.

(some were making that comparison pre-draft; always felt like it was unfounded)

No way.

Wilson has a baby face so he looks like he's 16.  He could afford to beef up a little bit, but he's not small.  If you didn't see the talent on the field Sunday, I'm not sure what to tell you.  That Jets team is abysmal, and almost ruined Darnold.  If they're not careful, they'll ruin Wilson.  My biggest criticism of Wilson is that he tried to play too much hero ball.  But the elusiveness, the awareness in the pocket, the arm strength and accuracy... its all there.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

"Give our best player to the Jets and they win."

Really deep analysis there... 🙄

well, it is simplistic.  And Zach Wilson would have been statistically superior to Sam Darnold in his rookie debut.  But yeah, considering Sam is essentially just playing with 10 yards of field.....but yeah, if you watched the 2 QBs last Sunday, Zach Wilson looks more promising. 

The purpose of bringing up the CMC swap was clearly to dismiss the fact that the W and stat column don't make the argument. Not that I am a fan of Zach Wilson nor do I think he will have success long term.    

• Pie 1

To be fair, it's not like Sam checked down the whole game, he did make a number of downfield throws. Also, situations dictate the game, clearly the Panthers got much more conservative in the second half, and that by design. Had they kept their foot on the pedal who knows what Sam's stats are.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

My biggest criticism of Wilson is that he tried to play too much hero ball.  

13 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

That Jets team is abysmal

These two things are likely directly correlated. If he doesn't play hero ball (and we don't leave three TDs on the field), the Jets get blown out.

I was impressed with Darnold for the most part. Every QB's gonna miss some throws over the course of a game and unfortunately, one of his would've gotten us six points instead of a FG.

I didn't expect him to be as cool in the pocket as he was, though. That was nice. Didn't try to take too much from what he was given. But this week's a bigger test.

4 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

To be fair, it's not like Sam checked down the whole game, he did make a number of downfield throws. Also, situations dictate the game, clearly the Panthers got much more conservative in the second half, and that by design. Had they kept their foot on the pedal who knows what Sam's stats are.

if you look at week 1, his half in the preseason, and camp reports....yeah, he is checking down at a very high rate and is almost overwhelming playing with 10 yards of field.  And while he might make the occasional intermediate throw, but he isn't having success there.  Zero completions in week 1 10-20 yards downfield, 1 in the preseason, and it noted and questioned all camp about the checkdowns. 

Just now, CRA said:

if you look at week 1, his half in the preseason, and camp reports....yeah, he is checking down at a very high rate and is almost overwhelming playing with 10 yards of field.  And while he might make the occasional intermediate throw, but he isn't having success there.  Zero completions in week 1 10-20 yards downfield, 1 in the preseason, and it noted and questioned all camp about the checkdowns. 

He had multiple drops in that window of yardage... And our offense very clearly pulled back in the 2nd half... I think all 3 of his 20+ yard completions were also in the first half, although I could be wrong.

Finally, a checkdown is not the same as a designed short yardage throw to get YAC.  This offense lives and breathes quick short passes by design.  It is about working in the scheme and taking what the D gives you and letting your skill plays demonstrate their skill.

1 minute ago, CRA said:

I think this is likely to change as the year goes on and is of no significant concern. Many of the routes out side of the first read are 5 to 10 yards down the field in Brady's system. I guess we will see.

6 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

He had multiple drops in that window of yardage... And our offense very clearly pulled back in the 2nd half... I think all 3 of his 20+ yard completions were also in the first half, although I could be wrong.

Finally, a checkdown is not the same as a designed short yardage throw to get YAC.  This offense lives and breathes quick short passes by design.  It is about working in the scheme and taking what the D gives you and letting your skill plays demonstrate their skill.

correct, all short throws are not checkdowns.  But like I said, statistically, he is overwhelming playing with 10 yards of field. 

a trend that comes form camp, to preseason, to week 1. 

you can't compete with good teams with that type of football.  The Payton/Brady offense isn't a small ball passing scheme.  That simply is what Matt Rhule and his QBs are doing.   That was built in with Teddy.  Looks coached in for Darnold.   

7 minutes ago, Jaxel said:

I think this is likely to change as the year goes on and is of no significant concern. Many of the routes out side of the first read are 5 to 10 yards down the field in Brady's system. I guess we will see.

well will see.  I view Sam for what he is.  A 4th year starter.   Rehab project or not.   He has to prove he can play like a starting NFL QB pretty quick, especially given Matt Rhule has opted to have this roster be Sam Darnold and nothing else.   I got no interest in giving him 5 or 6 years to just confirm he is what we likely knew in year 2. 

• Beer 1