• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Morning After - Jets at Panthers

Zod

We won and that's all we really learned from this game. Maybe the Jets are better than advertised, maybe they are as bas as advertised. They do have a heck of a QB there and they may save some money on not needing both a punter and a kicker (I mean, daaaaang, Ammendola was pretty amazing doing both jobs, while we decide to punt from the 33???).

On paper it was a game we should win. And that first half looked like we were handling it admirably. That second half, they handled us and we were lucky to get away with the W. 

Still we don't really know a thing except CMC will get you where you need to go, even if you run him into brick walls again and again. Next week, we have the Saints and who knows if they are outstanding or if the Packers are having a nervous breakdown led by Diva-deluxe Aaron Rodgers.

This was a "we should" win week. Next is a "we have to" win week. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think it was more of "lets not put anything more than we need to on film"   The game was pretty much in hand or at least it felt like it was.  No need to show any more.

My 2cents

I mean, we could have run the same plays from the 1st half in different sequences rather than run, run, pass, punt. 

34 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I saw a fumble on what would've likely been a walk in TD and two misfires to open receivers in the end zone. We left 3 TDs on the field. No one would be complaining about scoring 40 and that's what we should've done.

This^ Sloppy play and play calling left a blowout on the field.  They will get their ass kicked next weekend playing like that.

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Pie 3
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

This^ Sloppy play and play calling left a blowout on the field.  They will get their ass kicked next weekend playing like that.

agreed. Luckily for us is just a matter of execution and not incompetence. After sleeping on this last night, this was basically our last preseason game. Game 1 is this Sunday in terms of chemistry and fundamentals 

• Beer 1

Just now, cardiackat88. said:

I haven't seen anyone say it yet, but I think the returners for both punting and kicking were just god awful. They went nowhere and got tackled quickly.

Not sure if its the returner, the entire squad, or both.

The protections are not allowing for much of a return.  About all you can hope for is that they hold onto the ball. 

• Pie 3

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I saw a fumble on what would've likely been a walk in TD and two misfires to open receivers in the end zone. We left 3 TDs on the field. No one would be complaining about scoring 40 and that's what we should've done.

Those plays were also in the first half.  Yes, I still would be complaining about the second half even with 2-3 more TDs on the board.  The point remains, we got beat soundly on the field by a bad Jets team in the second half regardless of what was displayed on the scoreboard.

We should have won that game yesterday by at least 21 points.  We were by far the superior team in all phases of the game, but a few hard headed coaching decisions and player errors kept us from reaching our full potential.  The win is promising though, and it feels good to be 1-0 instead of 0-1.  There will be a lot of good takeaways to build on, and also a lot of things to clean up.  If we can do that, I really think we can be a very good football team this year.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

I haven't seen anyone say it yet, but I think the returners for both punting and kicking were just god awful. They went nowhere and got tackled quickly.

Not sure if its the returner, the entire squad, or both.

Honestly, as long as they don't muff the punt or fumble it's okay. Let the kick offs bounce into the end zone, quit trying to make it from the one. Fair catch all of the damn punts... you aren't going to get more than four-five yards there. Just secure it and get the offense back out there.

2 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The point remains, we got beat soundly on the field by a bad Jets team in the second half regardless of what was displayed on the scoreboard.

That's pretty extreme.... The Jets scored a TD on busted coverage and then got the 4th adn 15 conversion because we brought the house. Outside of those two plays... there really wasnt much from the Jets in the second half. We controlled the ball in the fourth quarter and the game was in hand pretty the entire way.

• Pie 1

Regarding McCaffrey...

You have to remember that Rhule likes easing lower round rookies into the pro game. That doesn't just apply to the offensive lineman. It also applies to Hubbard.

I believe as the season goes on you'll see Hubbard used more and McCaffrey's workload lightened.

Even sooner than that, you'll probably see Royce Freeman taking some snaps.

• Pie 2