• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Morning After - Jets at Panthers

Zod

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Second half drives:

Drive 1- (-1) yard--punt

Drive 2- 22 yards--punt

Drive 3- (-2) yards--punt

Drive 4- 57 yards--FG

Drive 5- 11 yards--punt

Drive 6- 24 yards--kneel down as time expires

That's how to close out an opponent there.  I mean we had nearly as many yards in the one FG drive as the rest put together.  But hey, as long as we put one solid half in against the Saints next week, we should be good, right?

Drive 5 was a shoe string tackle away from CMC breaking a single tackle for a TD. That play call was perfect, but the Jet's player (Guidry) made an excellent play. It's not like we werent trying to score there.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

While I don't disagree that a lot of red zone plays died to poor execution, a lot of those instances can be squarely pinned on the OL.  If pretty much every Panthers fan under the sun can see the struggles of our OL, surely the coaches can as well.  In which case we need to have a coaching plan that hides those flaws in all situations.

The fact that we continue to struggle in the red zone is scary.  It's only the first game, so I'm willing to give it a bit of time, but we need to improve that - this season.  If we don't it's going to be a pretty big red flag for Joe Brady as an OC.  Our weapons are just too damn good to be scoring less than 20 points against a poor Jets defense.

I wouldn’t call their defense poor - they’re young and inexperienced - but we definitely made them look better than they are currently with spotty OL play in the 2nd half.

6 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Drive 5 was a shoe string tackle away from CMC breaking a single tackle for a TD. That play call was perfect, but the Jet's player (Guidry) made an excellent play. It's not like we werent trying to score there.

Okay, clearly you are just happy with the win, warts and all.  If this team performs like that all year, we may win 5 games.  When I say team, that includes the coaching staff, not just the players.

Edited by 45catfan

4 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Okay, clearly you are just happy with the win, warts and all.  If this team performs like that all year, we may win 5 games.  When I say team, that includes the coaching staff, not just the players.

It was the first game of the season, after a short pre-season.  We won.  New QB, new starters on the O-Line, young coaches.  A win is a win is a win.  Is there a lot of poo that needs to be cleaned up?  Absolutely, but there is also a lot of good stuff to build on.  Im excited that Sam was only sacked once.  Erving was not as terrible as I expected him to be.  Now, the Guards on the other hand are a completely different story.  Paradis played pretty well, but we've got a real issue with the interior O-Line. 

• Pie 3

8 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

what I am saying is that we didnt just roll over and die... That's been my point the entire time. You can use the box score all you want, that's fine.  The play calls were there in the 4th, the execution was not.  It will come... we are the youngest team in the NFL and have very little continuity on offense... they will come together.

Edited by TheCasillas

20 minutes ago, Zod said:

If you thought Darnold was bad then you have an agenda you are sticking to. 

102 QB rating. 

No agenda. We are all hoping the Panthers and Darnold are good. We played the easiest team on the schedule yesterday and he struggled to score. Made a lot of one-read throws. 

Here's hoping its just Week 1 jitters...but I don't know how you can view that performance and say he played well.

Teddy had some good ratings last year too, yet the narrative here was that he sucked and needed to go.

I was most disappointed in the coaching staff as already stated.  That was not a well-managed game. 

I am OK with Darnold, worried that Hartsfield may be injured, and concerned that we could not get Anderson and the TEs.  That suggests we are not getting the ball to the outside WR--the longer pass plays--effectively.  Erving, Paradis, Daley, and Elf would not have graded out well.

I am not enthused with the win.  I am relieved but did not see that 30-10 blowout I was expecting--and we had them on the ropes and could have done it.  At the half, we could have been up 23-0 were it not for some questionable coaching decisions.  As with RR--they adjusted at the half, we did not. 

• Horn is the real deal.  Even the TD he surrendered was picture perfect.
  • DJax played well, but when he cramped up, I was like, "Damn son---maybe tennis is your game."
  • The DL sure kept Carter clean. Still, he is better than what we have had.
  • Shaq is a leader.  Starting to like him with his salary.
  • Chinn is not as noticeable at S as he was at LB, but I am still glad he is back there.
  • Burris took some bad angles.  Damn son, you are a veteran.
  • Brown is so good you forget he is there--like Star, but better.
  • I am not sure this FB thing is working out. 
  • Tremble might be our best all around TE.
  • I don't like the male cheerleaders.  Maybe other teams do it, but it aint right.  I look to them for motherly comfort during a time of great duress.  Do not need to know how a sausage is made during a crisis--I need warmth and fantasy.
  • Hartsfield is good.  We need him back asap.

• Pie 4