• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

so uh... about the return game

PhillyB

Erickson only signed to the practice squad on the 6th, activated on the 9th (?). I saw him hesitate after catching the ball at first, gauging the field. By the end of the game he had stopped hesitating and that's when his return yards went up. That was probably his not being familiar with his blockers and not fully trusting the scheme at first. Also, I doubt he had much practice time before the game. PR is not a plug and play position as we Panther fans have found out over the years. He'll get more comfortable, trust his blockers and Coach Blackburn will have it all worked out net week.

1 hour ago, GRWatcher said:

Erickson only signed to the practice squad on the 6th, activated on the 9th (?). I saw him hesitate after catching the ball at first, gauging the field. By the end of the game he had stopped hesitating and that's when his return yards went up. That was probably his not being familiar with his blockers and not fully trusting the scheme at first. Also, I doubt he had much practice time before the game. PR is not a plug and play position as we Panther fans have found out over the years. He'll get more comfortable, trust his blockers and Coach Blackburn will have it all worked out net week.

If the stats are right, we averaged 10 yards per punt return yesterday, with a long of 15.  The numbers are better than the league average yesterday. I am not really sure what people are complaining about.   

Edited by Davidson Deac II
  • Beer 2

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

I’m not sure you read my post correctly. Cooper’s career, especially last year with us, has been worse than Erickson was last year and yesterday. I don’t see upside to Cooper instead of Erickson. What Erickson did yesterday is better than our average punt returns for a while including Cooper last year. 

One game, but sure. People were complaining about our return game, I was just raising a valid question. Cooper wasn’t bad. Not earth shattering but better than what we’ve had.

14 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

Technically he wasn't missed in our search, we actually signed him back in March but released him in May lol.  But either way, he didn't even attempt a FG or XP so it's too soon to say whether we missed out on anything.  His punts were pretty respectable for a placekicker but we have one of the best punters in the league.  TBD whether he can actually kick balls through the uprights.

what a weird day for him though, first game as a kicker and you end up subbing in at punter but also never kick a FG or PAT all day.