• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Joey Slye

TheoJay10

2 hours ago, PhillyB said:

yup, people are freaking out reeeeeal early on this one

I'm not ready to freak out, but he made 2 very short ones that he should be expected to make, missed an XP and wasn't trusted to kick a 51 yarder... That's definitely cause for concern at the kicker position. Hopefully he can turn it around starting next week.

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

We punted from the 33. 

That means the coach looked over at the kicker and decided that he'd rather just give the football to the other team than risk a 50-yarder. 

the field position game starts early. with the way our defense was flying around, had we gotten that punt down inside the 10 (which is on the punter) we could have tilted the field against them with the noise at field level and them already struggling to keep Wilson upright. everybody has to do their job or everybody looks stupid. we wanted that rookie QB to show he could go all the way down. the last thing you want to do in that situation is turn the ball over to him with any reason to be optimistic. 

plus, the dude was making his NFL regular season debut. you might want to give him a chip shot or two before you trot him out there to miss a 50+ yarder and ruin him for the day. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

We punted from the 33. 

That means the coach looked over at the kicker and decided that he'd rather just give the football to the other team than risk a 50-yarder. 

That was a ridiculously bad coaching decision regardless of who our kicker is.  Our defense was playing too good to be scared of attempting a 50 yarder in the NFL.  Also, if you don't think your kicker has a decent shot from 50 what in flying hell is he doing on a NFL roster?

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Newtcase said:

That was a ridiculously bad coaching decision regardless of who our kicker is.  Our defense was playing too good to be scared of attempting a 50 yarder in the NFL.  Also, if you don't think your kicker has a decent shot from 50 what in flying hell is he doing on a NFL roster?

it's a tougher call than I think you're giving it credit. you have a rookie kicker about to take his first league kick from 50+. missing there might set him up for a really bad day. it's a strange concept to think about, but punting there is giving your best unit (the defense) an opportunity to have this rookie quarterback who looks rattled throwing out of his own endzone. if charlton does his job and puts that ball down inside the 10, if not the 5, imagine how greedy that defense would come out. they earned a crack at the short field to try to make a splash play. it could have been way more meaningful than the 3 points. 

• Pie 1

29 minutes ago, 33inNC said:

Yea, so he can kick it out of bounds in the Super Bowl again?  No thank you. 

Good luck finding that kicker who never once kicks a ball out of bounds....  Either your expectations are too high or your IQ is too low...  I'm guessing both...

2 hours ago, Captroop said:

I actually didn't hate that. Not fully trusting the kicker I'm sure factored into the decision. But pinning a rookie QB inside his own 5 yard line when the D-Line was absolutely abusing him all game seems like a pretty appetizing prospect. Force a turnover. Safety. Or at worst a 3-and-out and we get right possession of the ball right back where we left it.

Frankly I think Charlton isn't getting enough heat for botching a coffin corner punt so badly. Punting from the 33 to the 15???

At the same time if the defense is already outplaying then, who cares if they get it on the 25?

Every team we play won’t have that scenario and it seems silly not to see what you have in the kicker…because at some point he’ll have to make those, get him comfy now is my thought but maybe they already know he isn’t the answer for the season and they’re looking elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, onmyown said:

At the same time if the defense is already outplaying then, who cares if they get it on the 25?

Every team we play won’t have that scenario and it seems silly not to see what you have in the kicker…because at some point he’ll have to make those, get him comfy now is my thought but maybe they already know he isn’t the answer for the season and they’re looking elsewhere.

I think it's probably this, and we knew which options, kick or punt led to the most beneficial outcome. Give it to them on the 15 or the 33.