• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this accurate?

Zod

15 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

How about the majority of the seasons Cam was here? Did you forget why his injuries started piling up in the place first? 

The argument against this is mind blowing. 

my response was to someone who said that LT was in a different stratosphere than other positions.  That is a bit of an overstatement and Cams history doesn't change that.  That also doesn't mean I don't think LT is important.

Maybe if Cam had better receivers than he wouldn't have had to hold on to the ball as long.  How many hits did Cam take in his career after his first read was covered?  How many hits did he take on designed runs? More goes into a QB getting hit than just the LT 

Here again, I'm not saying LT isn't important, or that Cam wouldn't have benefited from better O-line play, but this idea that an elite LT adds exponentially more wins to your team than an elite CB is ludicrous and outside of some weak anecdotal arguments nobody has yet to make a good argument otherwise.

1 hour ago, pantherclaw said:

He was a reach in the eyes of our football guys who get paid make decisions. 

End of story. 

Disagree all you want. 

And you know this how? Have Rhule and Co shown you were they had him ranked? Have they told you what positions they valued in what order?

Just because they drafted a CB and have prioritized defense over offense doesn't mean they felt Slater was a reach.

Just now, jayboogieman said:

And you know this how? Have Rhule and Co shown you were they had him ranked? Have they told you what positions they valued in what order?

Just because they drafted a CB and have prioritized defense over offense doesn't mean they felt Slater was a reach.

Word was they tried to trade down but couldn't get the partner/deal they wanted, so they stayed put.  Not sure who the target was if they  traded down.

36 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I like to read. I suggest you try it. 

17 hours ago, CRA said:

this is Rhule’s 2nd year.  And inherited his only legit lineman in Moton.    He bears some responsibility for the present day starting OL still just being Moton and garbage. 

We can’t plug all of our holes in one off-season. Next year’s draft is loaded with OL talent and particularly @ LT. I’d be really disappointed if we didn’t go heavy in the trenches next year.

16 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

This is the difference with fans, they don't care how reality is.  They just want their players at the positions they want, regardless of the value and opportunities.  

I think you're having a little revisionist memory--err, history. Plenty of scouts had slater ranked up in the top 10. He wasn't a reach! Rhule made the decision to pass on him because he thought Horn would be better for the Panthers. 

Rhule could be right from some perspective, but that doesn't invalidate other perspectives. If Slater turns out to be a boss LT, something that is decidedly more difficult than a shutdown CB (assuming Horn will be one), then he deserves the criticism he gets. Moreover, If Fields turns out to be an elite QB and Darnold doesn't, then Rhule deserves that criticism even more. 

Of course we likely won't know the answers to these questions anytime soon, but Rhule is going to have to accept responsibility for his decisions like a big boy whenever time tells.

2 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

We can’t plug all of our holes in one off-season. Next year’s draft is loaded with OL talent and particularly @ LT. I’d be really disappointed if we didn’t go heavy in the trenches next year.

I didn't say he had to plug all the holes in one offseason or two offseasons.  He hasn't fixed a single hole on the starting OL in 2 years.  He bears some responsibility for that.   Especially considering how important OL play is for your team to have success in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I think you're having a little revisionist memory--err, history. Plenty of scouts had slater ranked up in the top 10. He wasn't a reach! Rhule made the decision to pass on him because he thought Horn would be better for the Panthers. 

Rhule could be right from some perspective, but that doesn't invalidate other perspectives. If Slater turns out to be a boss LT, something that is decidedly more difficult than a shutdown CB (assuming Horn will be one), then he deserves the criticism he gets. Moreover, If Fields turns out to be an elite QB and Darnold doesn't, then Rhule deserves that criticism even more. 

Of course we likely won't know the answers to these questions anytime soon, but Rhule is going to have to accept responsibility for his decisions like a big boy whenever time tells.

Rhule owns his decisions. 

Just now, pantherclaw said:

Rhule owns his decisions. 

That remains to be seen. 

I don't remember him taking responsibility for shitting the bed by keeping Whitehead in so long, or not getting legit competition in for Slye before the 11th hour. And those were obvious errors.

I like Rhule, but some of his decisions seem a little Rivera-esque. We'll see in a few weeks.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

I didn't say he had to plug all the holes in one offseason or two offseasons.  He hasn't fixed a single hole on the starting OL in 2 years.  He bears some responsibility for that.   Especially considering how important OL play is for your team to have success in the NFL. 

I have every reason to believe we would’ve snagged Sewell if the Lions hadn’t taken him one spot earlier. The selections of Christensen and Brown show the team is making efforts to beef up the OL but we have to give those guys time to develop. I believe both will be contributors this season. And I agree that the coaching staff - particularly Rhule - bears some responsibility for that but not for lack of trying to address the problem. For example, Daley told us playing on the left is more natural for him but he subbed on the right anyway. I feel he would’ve been better @ LG than Elfein and Brown or Christensen could’ve been plugged in on the right as they did in preseason but that’s not my decision to make. 

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That remains to be seen. 

I don't remember him taking responsibility for shitting the bed by keeping Whitehead in so long, or not getting legit competition in for Slye before the 11th hour. And those were obvious errors.

I like Rhule, but some of his decisions seem a little Rivera-esque. We'll see in a few weeks.

yep, people overemphasize him moving on from Teddy and ignore the examples you listed.   Teddy poo'd on them publicly.   

I'm not convinced Teddy wouldn't be here today if his play was what it was....and he acted like Joey Slye.  

2 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Word was they tried to trade down but couldn't get the partner/deal they wanted, so they stayed put.  Not sure who the target was if they  traded down.

Still doesn't mean that they felt Slater would have been a reach at 8. If those rumors are true, it just means they valued having more picks to pick up more cheap young talent vs any one player in the top ten or so guys. Beyond that, rumors are just rumors and should always be taken with a grain of salt.