• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Week 1 pff grades

Tr3ach

Of course PFF can be inaccurate and isnt the be all end all but there are some pretty interesting numbers.  I had mentioned in another post my concern about Chinn being at FS mostly and his grade kind of showed that.  Ian thomas being our 2nd highest graded player on offense and Luvu being our highest graded defensive player were both pretty surprising to me.  Safety in general seems like a pretty rough spot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pantherswire.usatoday.com/lists/panthers-pff-grades-week-1-jets/amp/

Edited by Tr3ach
Autocorrect

1 minute ago, Tr3ach said:

Of course PFF can be inaccurate and isnt the be all end all but there are some pretty interesting numbers.  I had mentioned in another post my concern about Chinn being at FS mostly and his grade kind of showed that.  Ian thomas being our 2nd highest graded player on offense and Luvu being our highest graded defensive player were both pretty surprising to me.  Safety in general seems like a pretty rough spot.

To me, PFF is completely subjective.  While it's encouraging when the grades are what you want, that doesn't make them accurate.  And fwiw, to that point, as great as Chinn was last season as a rookie, they had him graded pretty low last season as well.  They have their favorites and their guys they have an agenda against, and I think Chinn may be one of the latter.

• Pie 2

Just now, Proudiddy said:

To me, PFF is completely subjective.  While it's encouraging when the grades are what you want, that doesn't make them accurate.  And fwiw, to that point, as great as Chinn was last season as a rookie, they had him graded pretty low last season as well.  They have their favorites and their guys they have an agenda against, and I think Chinn may be one of the latter.

I just worry about Chinn at FS.  Its going to be a lot harder to put the stamp on the game he did last season and it takes away some of his strengths and puts some of the things hes not quite as good at in the forefront. 

2 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I just worry about Chinn at FS.  Its going to be a lot harder to put the stamp on the game he did last season and it takes away some of his strengths and puts some of the things hes not quite as good at in the forefront. 

Idk, I thought he played fine.  He's not going to put up the same numbers at safety as he was in the box every game last season, and thats a good thing, bc we don't want our safeties leading the team in tackles every week.  I thought he was good in coverage, and I expect he's going to get a lot more opportunities to ball hawk as the season goes on, so I look forward to that.  I'm not worried about him making the switch because it was his primary position in college and he has the physicality and athleticism to be great in coverage.

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Idk, I thought he played fine.  He's not going to put up the same numbers at safety as he was in the box every game last season, and thats a good thing, bc we don't want our safeties leading the team in tackles every week.  I thought he was good in coverage, and I expect he's going to get a lot more opportunities to ball hawk as the season goes on, so I look forward to that.  I'm not worried about him making the switch because it was his primary position in college and he has the physicality and athleticism to be great in coverage.

Not to mention you don't have to dread every time he comes in to support the run. No flying tackle the air behind you from Chinn.

PFF doesn't work because "advanced analytics" are such an inexact science in sports. There are so many in both NHL and NFL that just don't really work with any consistency, and then you roll those one into a score with the ones that do work, and try to grade players, and it ends up even worse.

Horn as top 5 of the worst graded player on defense? What a joke. If his arm is 3 inches higher (or lower...can't remember) on that TD pass he absolutely shuts down his man all game and even had a couple good plays on run D. 

I normally like PFF but they missed the mark big time on this game. 

Edited by GamecockSmitty4

58 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Agreed but I think he just needs more time to adjust. Although he missed on a couple big plays(Mims sticks out). He also prevented two additional touchdowns. 

Firmly believe that if that was Tre Boston from last season, the score would have ended around 28-19 in the Jets favor. 

P.S. How is McCaffrey not one of the highest rated offensive players when he basically was the offense?