• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone else concerned/disappointed with the lack of touches for the backup RBs and CMC's sustained workload?

Proudiddy

3 minutes ago, Catsfan69 said:

Walter Payton had a similar workload.

Tony Dorsett 

Emmitt Smith

Do I need to keep going?

The best players should get the ball.

The best players want the ball. 

I miss them but the 80's and 90's are gone this is a new era of football and multiple playmakers are what wins championships. The Bucs have a slew of weapons at wide receiver and can you even name all their running backs? If you want to run with the best you have to be able to score at least 20 or 30 points in this league and we got held to 19 by the worst of the bunch. This is not something to celebrate. No offense but we're in for a brutal reality check if the coaches think the way you're talking.

• Pie 1

just out of curiosity, I wonder how many that think Ron overused Cam don't care about CMC being overused? 

me personally? I don't care if CMC is overused.  But that is conditional.  I want this to be CMC's last contract with the Panthers...given the toll his body will take and the age he will be at the end of it. 

• Flames 1

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

I miss them but the 80's and 90's are gone this is a new era of football and multiple playmakers are what wins championships. The Bucs have a slew of weapons at wide receiver and can you even name all their running backs? If you want to run with the best you have to be able to score at least 20 or 30 points in this league and we got held to 19 by the worst of the bunch. This is not something to celebrate. No offense but we're in for a brutal reality check if the coaches think the way you're talking.

We got held to 19

Because OL

Because Rhule likes to protect leads.

It's hard to throw it all over the place if your QB is on his back. 

Let Cmac open the playaction up and we'll go deep more.

Oh and because we don't have a kicker. Punt from the 33....

Edited by Catsfan69

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Technically we already had a track record of that last year. If you look at CMC in limited action last season, we used him a LOT. It will be interesting to see if we basically roll with the Rivera era level of usage.

I definitely get he is our best offensive player and we pay him a ton of money.....but it is rare for ANY NFL RB to last with a high level of usage over time. We have to eventually do a better job of managing his wear and tear. Maybe he is an outlier and can sustain this but that isn't something I would personally bank on as a head coach. 

This isn't college football where you have four years to use a player up and then on to the next. You have to try to protect your franchise players for the duration of their tenure with the team. They don't grow on trees.

22 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

Hes getting touches but its not like hes getting used as a battering ram 30 times a game like Derrick Henry. I think getting like 15 carries and 10 catches out of the backfield per game is pretty healthy workload. As someone said his catches are in the open field and hes not having 300lb falling on him

So can't remember the poster, but someone had put out the idea that RBs really fall off after 1800 touches in their career. CMC is at 1032 (including Week 1 2021). At 300 touches/year, he should have 2 -3 more good years.

RB career touches Includes Week 1 2021

• Zeke - 1667
  • Melvin Gordon - 1544
  • Derrick Henry - 1280
  • CMC - 1032
  • Kamara - 1021
  • Cook - 943
  • Carson - 835
  • Aaron Jones - 789
  • Chubb - 769
  • Saquon - 657

8 minutes ago, frankw said:

Take last night's game for example. One of the wildest games I have ever seen. Did either team force feed one offensive skill player?

Waller had like 19 targets.

Edit: Carr threw it 56 times. 1/3 of them went to Waller.

Edited by trueblade
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, Catsfan69 said:

We got held to 19

Because OL

Because Rhule likes to protect leads.

It's hard to throw it all over the place if your QB is on his back. 

Let Cmac open the playaction up and we'll go deep more.

Actually Darnold was only sacked once and though he was pressured the line was not as bad as we thought it would be. I would say run blocking is a potential issue but that's more of the same. Which is why an emphasis on a dynamic run game may be beneficial to us. We have to trust our young roster that is the second youngest in the league if I'm not mistaken. And there will be some hiccups along the way. But to be scared to play your rookies bc they might make a mistake to me sounds like a Ron Rivera mentality. It's going to be a long season eventually these rooks are going to get playing time and they won't always be perfect but our staff chose them so they have to live with the results 🤷‍♂️

11 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Idk, I thought under Rhule/Brady, we would see less of a burden on CMC and more variety with snap distribution among the RBs.  It was hard to glean anything from last season bc CMC barely played, but then they came out and said his workload would be lessened going into this season.  Then they also made a big deal about drafting Chubba...  then we claimed Royce Freeman off waivers, who also has a lot of promise.  And then Week 1 happened, and CMC was almost the entirety of the offense, and I only recall him missing 2 or 3 snaps.

Now, I know CMC is our most versatile weapon and is an absolute superstar, but the way  we're using him just doesn't seem like a sustainable model to me.  And at the end of the day, no matter how uniquely talented he is, he still primarily plays RB and running your offense through RBs is a fairly prehistoric notion.  Now, CMC's ability as a receiver ensures he can be used in other ways that can still preserve his longevity while still cranking out a ton of production...  and this is why I'm curious as to why it seems virtually nothing has changed in how he is being used compared to how he was used under Rivera.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm thankful to have him, and at times it feels he is literally the only guy that can make a play when we need one, so in the biggest moments, we need him out there...  but, I am legitimately bothered by the amount of workload we're placing on him and the fact that we aren't seeing anything outside of the box to ensure his longevity - like bringing Chubba or Freeman in the backfield and shifting CMC outside.  

What are y'all's feeling on this? 

Snap counts had him in on about 89% of the total snaps, that's roughly a 9 - 10% decrease from the Rivera days where he hovered around 97 - 99% of the snaps. 

I do believe the goal was to lower his snaps, while maximizing his usage when on the field. I think I saw a quote from Rhule earlier that said two things:

1) Chuba missed a blitz pick-up during the game, and that the rookies can't afford to play like rookies

2) They need to get Royce Freeman up to speed

A good example is BAL last night, as decimated as they were, and with Bell and Freeman being there roughly a week, they still were not dressed. 

You can't put guys on the field that either aren't ready, or up to speed, Chuba and Freeman should be a bigger part of things as the season moves forward. 

Edited by SetfreexX
  • Pie 1

5 minutes ago, frankw said:

Take last night's game for example. One of the wildest games I have ever seen. Did either team force feed one offensive skill player?

I'd like to make a few points here.

1) "force feed" implies they were unsuccessfully trying to get them yardage. Our best chance at success was with CMC, who the Jets couldn't cover nor tackle.
2) He wasn't used anymore than other RBs around the league. Joe Mixon had 33 touches (for 37 fewer yards) in a Bengals win. 
3) DJ Moore was targeted 8 times, had 6 catches for 80 yards and one carry for 14 yards, so it wasn't like he was ignored (I also consider him to be a weapon on offense).
4) No fewer than 7 teams threw the ball at least 47 times last week. Do we want Sam Darnold firing 50 passes a game, or CMC getting 25 touches and balancing run with pass (just like nearly every team that won)?

9 minutes ago, trueblade said:

Waller had like 19 targets.

Edit: Carr threw it 56 times. 1/3 of them went to Waller.

The Raiders had six receiving targets with 40 or more yards. It's a passing league and a league built around dynamic offenses not a one man crew.

Edited by frankw