• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anyone else concerned/disappointed with the lack of touches for the backup RBs and CMC's sustained workload?

Proudiddy

It's certainly a concern.  I think I'd like to see CMC at around 25 touches per game instead of 30 so long as a healthy portion of those touches are still catches instead of runs.

I do agree that CMC is eminently capable of running between the tackles, but that doesn't mean we SHOULD pound him between the tackles consistently.  Let him run there enough that teams must repect it, but I'd rather see him catching it and juking LB's to lower the pounding he takes.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

Of course we disagree that's fine. But what you are missing is Jon Gruden clearly has a different philosophy on the whole. His team had 82 rushing yards total but the Raiders are very plainly a passing team like much of the league. They got their team deep into OT not by running their rb into the ground but by spreading the ball around. Waller was their go to more often than not but they had other skill players they could lean on. Look I try to speak to Panthers fans about this but the emotional connection some of you hold with McCaffrey is too great. It's Cam Newton all over again. We will have plenty of answers this weekend I hope we are victorious.

The reason Jacobs didn't get a lot of touches is because he was dinged up. He was near the top of the league in carries last year (third) and the Raiders a more heavy running percentage team than we were. It might be good to research your theories.

5 hours ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Kind of a double edged sword.  If we are driving and CMC is doing a large part of the offense.   Do you give him a spell and our offense stalls or do we gamble that the backups are going to come in and get us similar yards. 

I think Hubbard has the ability to bring a similar effectiveness to our offense.  Rhule has to give him some valuable time.   One or two plays a week isn't going to cut it.  If Rhule isn't going to give him the ball than why waste a draft pick on a player you aren't going to give a chance.

Secondly, God forbid he goes down again,  Hubbard has little or no game time experience and that will hurt us more.  

My belief is Rhule is scared to take him out and stall a drive.  In fact, I think he's terrified. 

If that's the case, then you're right :    Why draft him if you're not going to use him?

I know he said this :

But "rookies to stop playing like rookies"?    uhh....maybe if you PLAY HIM, he will gain valuable experience and NOT play like a rookie, Rhule!!!   WTF is up with that logic??? 

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, glenwo2 said:

If that's the case, then you're right :    Why draft him if you're not going to use him?

I know he said this :

But "rookies to stop playing like rookies"?    uhh....maybe if you PLAY HIM, he will gain valuable experience and NOT play like a rookie, Rhule!!!   WTF is up with that logic??? 

You don't play a running back that can't pickup the blitz. 

• Pie 1

10 minutes ago, Moo Daeng said:

The reason Jacobs didn't get a lot of touches is because he was dinged up. He was near the top of the league in carries last year (third) and the Raiders a more heavy running percentage team than we were. It might be good to research your theories.

Jacobs had 306 touches last year through 14 games. McCaffrey had 403 in what was considered his monster season in 2019 and is now on pace for 510 touches if he averages 30 per game like he did on Sunday. If you want to convince yourself other teams force their offense through their RB1 be my guest but find my some examples bc that one isn't it.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 1

Just now, pantherclaw said:

So the STARTING QB shouldn't play if he's medically cleared to play?

And we shouldn't use our most talented and highly paid RB. 

Great argument.  

Oh come on, that's a strawman 🙄.  I just think we should spell CMC instead of giving him 500 touches this season.  And everyone was livid when Cam was playing visibly injured.

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Oh come on, that's a strawman 🙄.  I just think we should spell CMC instead of giving him 500 touches this season.  And everyone was livid when Cam was playing visibly injured.

I'm all for him getting rest too, but here we are, arguing it after 1 game that was a close game. It's not like we running out the clock with a big lead. 

Like Zod said,  that's when we use the best guy for the job, period. 

Don't get me started on Cam, he was his own worst enemy,  and he still is. 

• Beer 1