• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What was the explanation for punting on the Jets 33 yard line?

raleigh-panther

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I was at the game yesterday   Couldn’t believe the decision but I never heard the rationale fot it

could someone share it please?

thanks 

he claimed it was field position. 

reality is, we went into week 1 with a kicker the coach has zero faith in.    Was probably afraid if he missed a 49 yarder he would implode and not be able to make anything. 

Did you all know that Bill Belichick had his team punt from the MIA 37 yard line on the opening drive of the NE-MIA game this weekend? Granted it was 4th and 17, but he still opted for the punt/field position over a possible three points. I know we all hate the Patriots, but Rhule made essentially the same decision that a six-time Super Bowl winning coach made. 

You know what? You’re right (from your couch/office chair/recliner). Rhule SUCKS!!!

• Beer 1

41 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

You guys need to be a bit more consistent. 

Rhule choosing to play Elflein/Daley over Christensen/Brown = Rhule is being dumb, why isn't he playing our best two guards.

Rhule choosing to forego a 50-yard FG = our kicker sucks and Rhule knows it.

Do you trust Rhule's judgment or not?

Why in the world would you think that someone has to be 100 percent one way or another? Rhule makes good and bad decisions like everyone else. He can be a genius about one thinkg, and a dumbass about another.

Edited by top dawg

3 minutes ago, Bama Panther said:

Did you all know that Bill Belichick had his team punt from the MIA 37 yard line on the opening drive of the NE-MIA game this weekend? Granted it was 4th and 17, but he still opted for the punt/field position over a possible three points. I know we all hate the Patriots, but Rhule made essentially the same decision that a six-time Super Bowl winning coach made. 

You know what? You’re right (from your couch/office chair/recliner). Rhule SUCKS!!!

That's not really very close to the same situation.  33 yard line is 50 yard FG.  37 yard line is 55 yard FG, which is significantly longer for most kickers. Also 4th and 17 is not a realistically make-able down.  4th and 6 is.  If Bill was in our situation, I believe he would have gone for it.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Bama Panther said:

NE's kicker nursed an injury all preseason and only attempted one kick....and they elevated him from the practice squad to kick at the last minute.   And his kick would have been longer. 

2 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I think the theory was, with the pressure we were getting on Wilson, punt, pin them deep, go for the safety and get the ball back. But this isn't Madden and this isn't LSU vs Southwest Beuford County community College.

That’s kinda  of how the stadium felt, that was a bad decision, but when you are in the stadium you don’t always know what the decisions are or why 

…so thank you and everyone 

Edited by raleigh-panther

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

NE's kicker nursed an injury all preseason and only attempted one kick....and they elevated him from the practice squad to kick at the last minute.   And his kick would have been longer. 

Four yards longer, and the Panthers were working with a kicker kicking his first ever field goals in a meaningful NFL game.

27 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

That's not really very close to the same situation.  33 yard line is 50 yard FG.  37 yard line is 55 yard FG, which is significantly longer for most kickers. Also 4th and 17 is not a realistically make-able down.  4th and 6 is.  If Bill was in our situation, I believe he would have gone for it.

The kick would have been longer (54 versus 50), which would make it harder. However, according to data from 2014-2018 available in a quick Google search, the percentage for making field goals between 50-53 yards was about 69%, whereas the percentage for making a field goal between 54-57 yards is 60%.
Much of the chatter here has been about kicking the field goal vice going for it. Based upon that, the distance needed for the first down is irrelevant. The only relevant factor is the length of the field goal. Here, both coaches chose to play field position.  

1 minute ago, Bama Panther said:

Four yards longer, and the Panthers were working with a kicker kicking his first ever field goals in a meaningful NFL game.

4 yards longer when you are over 50....starts to really matter. 

but again, Nick Folk was injured all preseason and they just elevated from the practice squad I think the day before the game.    Hard to skip over that aspect.  

• Pie 2