Jump to content
  • Welcome!

    Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

    Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

    Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

     

  • panthers-redskins-1.jpg

Question for people at the game


Basbear
 Share

Recommended Posts

Could you tell any difference form the switch to artificial turf? Were the players faster, slower, etc. Was the field brighter, sharper, etc?

I know most have not been since 2019, just seeing if there was human eye difference.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couldn't tell a difference from the stands (at least from the upper deck) unless someone slid and kicked stuff up... that looked different from normal grass but otherwise it looked the same.

As far as speed, turf is supposed to be faster but TBH I didn't see a difference

Biggest thing is I hope we don't see a major rise in injuries from it... week 1 was a success in that regard. Hartsfield was hurt but not bc of turf. Don't think any of the Jets injuries were due to it either.

  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Could you tell any difference form the switch to artificial turf? Were the players faster, slower, etc. Was the field brighter, sharper, etc?

I know most have not been since 2019, just seeing if there was human eye difference.   

It was reported that it's much hotter on the field now.  That was an obvious side effect going from grass to turf.  It won't be a problem next month.

  • Pie 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It was reported that it's much hotter on the field now.  That was an obvious side effect going from grass to turf.  It won't be a problem next month.

Yeah my seats are lower bowl and my wife and I could feel the difference even there…that might go in our favor against AC dome teams

  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It was reported that it's much hotter on the field now.  That was an obvious side effect going from grass to turf.  It won't be a problem next month.

Yea I seen the side-line reporter had a temperate gauge and claim on field it touched the humidity part(look like 140 degrees). I thought since panthers TC was in hell, they would win the cardio part, but the jets looked fresher after halftime. 

I also thought the defensive looked faster on the video, but that maybe due to focus on newer faster players. Plus I didnt want to influence people who were at the game.  Green looked "greener" too overall the colors looked sharper/brighter, but I was watching a 1080p feed on an 4 year old hisense...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Not gonna lie…Defense looked much faster but I attribute that to being more athletic than past defenses prior.

I just posted that as well, on the video they looked "faster". Not just talking about CBs, LBs(shaq looked faster after gaining weight), but burns, haynes, reddick, brown(yes even him) looked faster.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cam's New Arm said:

It looked like DJ rolled his ankle on like his first touch and I kind of felt that was a turf deal. It looked like his foot stopped moving before he expected it to.

 

On the video theres plenty of sand and some black filter that comes up on every step. I wonder how they are going to keep the field level?

I feel like they need a giant earthquake shaker for the whole field. Plus I bet plenty gos missing after rain or being stuck to players. Feels like it will never be perfectly level with all this....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

It was reported that it's much hotter on the field now.  That was an obvious side effect going from grass to turf.  It won't be a problem next month.

Yep. Read it was about 120 on the field and that’s brutal

my seats are in the shade on panthers side 35 yard line but even though it said 86 on the scoreboard, I felt pretty bad for the people on the sun side 

I can’t imagine how hot it was for those players in pads down there 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Beer 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Basbear said:

On the video theres plenty of sand and some black filter that comes up on every step. I wonder how they are going to keep the field level?

I feel like they need a giant earthquake shaker for the whole field. Plus I bet plenty gos missing after rain or being stuck to players. Feels like it will never be perfectly level with all this....

They put that stuff down on top of the turf to give it a more natural feel.  After the games they kind drag/rake it with a tractor attachment to even it all back out.  

Turfs a double edge sword.  It stands up well to all kinds weather and if you wanna have more events, and Tepper does, it’s the only way to go.  You can paint it, wipe it clean and paint again right away.  Can’t do that to natural grass.  

But it almost has too much grip, cleats get caught and you get tweaks easier.  It’s kinda hard on the knees and the turf burn is when you slide on it is like rug burn, it’s friggin terrible.  

  • Beer 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, CBDellinger said:

They put that stuff down on top of the turf to give it a more natural feel.  After the games they kind drag/rake it with a tractor attachment to even it all back out.  

Turfs a double edge sword.  It stands up well to all kinds weather and if you wanna have more events, and Tepper does, it’s the only way to go.  You can paint it, wipe it clean and paint again right away.  Can’t do that to natural grass.  

But it almost has too much grip, cleats get caught and you get tweaks easier.  It’s kinda hard on the knees and the turf burn is when you slide on it is like rug burn, it’s friggin terrible.  

I figure after the OL vs DL for 60 minutes, the whole field would be a flatten golf ball feel. 

Im old school about grass, still there have been major improvements since the houston astro-turf days. Even "poor" HS use turf now. It has grass beat in durability. Plus most players grew up playing on turf now, not grass. Thats not longer a big issue cause the the older grass players are nearly all retired. I think its close, but one improvement would be if the turf break away after a high level force.......you know instead of ACLs, ankles, ligaments, etc. On the old TV it looked level and no big injuries (minus Beckmon knee but was a rollup) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


  • sam.jpg

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Basically dont draft a one dimensional player top top and a meh athlete. Fat run stoppers can be had rounds 2-5. Phil has look decent for example. Roy has his moments as well... But Brown... this I run a 5.2 whatever he did and I'm mostly a run stuffer but not really...is looking as busty as  42 year old mom on the rebound. Very dissapointed.
    • This coaching staff is too terrible for literally any QB/player to overcome. I've never seen anything like this in the history of the Panthers, even in our 2-14 season with a lame duck Fox. That team was bad because of Pickles. Insert Matt Moore or who ever at the time and that same team would have gone 6-10 or Panthers classic 7-9. People are mad because the talent on this team is good enough to make the playoffs. When you look at the roster it isn't crazy to expect playoffs even with a second year coaching staff. The talent on this team sometimes overcomes the lack of coaching and wins games. It was like Rivera's tenure. The team constantly won in spite of the coaching and when they needed the coaches to do their jobs ("cough cough" Super Bowl "cough cough') They failed the players every time.  4 QB's now and the same terrible results. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what the problem is. Same thing goes for the defense. As soon as a team counters what our defense is throwing at them and they need the coaches to counter, they get nothing. Literally, our coaches do nothing, week after fuging week. I'd be more than happy to have Cam and Sam back next season to compete for the starting job as long as we have a coaching staff in place with legitimate NFL experience. 
×
×
  • Create New...